NEW! Google Custom Search

Recipe software that supports scanning

oldgraymare48's picture

First post.  Apologies if subject old.

I have a recipe clipping collection that I want to organize and save.  I want to scan the recipes into a recipe management software program.  Any suggestions?

Most I have checked out do not seem support scanning.

As an alternative, any self help books to manage this hoarding disorder?  I don't have enough years left to ever try all these recipes.

MadMom's picture

(post #57220, reply #1 of 6)

You'll get a lot of recommendations on software.  What I've done is to print out recipes I want to try, then put them into notebooks according to category.  Once a recipe is tried and found good, I move it to the front of the notebook.

I think Peter Durand keeps categories on his computer, then just prints out recipes he likes.  That seems to work well for him.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!
FL.Cook's picture

(post #57220, reply #2 of 6)

I keep them in my computer.  Most everything I can copy and paste into word.  I have categories, ex. meat, salads etc.  I will print out a recipe, and if it works for me I put it into loose leaf notebooks that I also have labeled meats, salads, etc.  If I don't like the recipe I just delete it on the computer.  Needless to say, I still have more too many on the computer then I need, but it is a start.

Carole
Gretchen's picture

(post #57220, reply #3 of 6)

But I think she is talking about scanning in already printed recipes. I know a lot of people here scan recipes to share here. Can you not just use the scanner of your printer (as I have) and save them to a document file. Then organize them as to categories in sub-files?

Gretchen

Gretchen
PeterDurand's picture

(post #57220, reply #4 of 6)

It is what I do. I scan them and OCR using the scanner's software. Them send the thing to Word for easy proof reading and formatting to a style I like. Start to finish usually takes 3-5 minutes. Depending on how many errors in the OCR phase. Then save to the appropriate sub folder in the main recipe folder.

Better life through Zoodles and poutine...

thecooktoo's picture

(post #57220, reply #5 of 6)

I use Mastercook 9 and scan recipes all the time.  Can also download direct from the internet as long as  you don't have Vista OS.

I scan into a word file, copy it into MC with the Import Assistant function.  Takes maybe two minutes from scan to file save.

Jim

dorcast's picture

(post #57220, reply #6 of 6)

Are you on a Mac or PC?

I use MacGourmet, and if you scanned a recipe, it would be easy to transfer it to MacGourmet, you can drag from a word file or web page to create a new recipe.

Also for a Mac, the Recipe Manager allows you to import a file from a clipboard, which would be easy from any document you scanned.