NEW! Google Custom Search

Chicken grease splatters in the oven?

debpasc's picture

I often oven-roast chicken (either whole butterflied or whole leg quarters) in the oven at 425 degrees.  Usually on a rimmed baking sheet and frequently with vegetables on the pan with the chicken, but not always.  I like the crispy skin and the moistness of the meat.  What I don't like is the splattering and smoking in the oven after the grease accumulates in the pan.  Not quite as bad when there are vegetables along with the chicken but really bad when I do a whole butterflied chicken.  Is there a remedy?  I may just have to quit doing it this way because the oven gets so greasy and continues to smoke the next few times I use it.  I thought about putting a piece of bread in the pan with the whole chicken to absorb the grease and stop the splattering but I think it may turn into a charcoal block or catch fire!

JillElise's picture

(post #37153, reply #1 of 20)

I put water in the bottom of the pan.

debpasc's picture

(post #37153, reply #2 of 20)

I thought about that and then worried I'd get steaming instead of roasting.

Gretchen's picture

(post #37153, reply #3 of 20)

I do mine in a 9X13 pan usually, at the same temp as you, and I don't think I have much spatter at all.

I also do it on a bed of oninos with potatoes and carrots around, and also no spatter.

I also think I have done all of the above at 375* with similar results--I don't always do it at 425*.  I don't get the spatter. I do get equally good results.

Gretchen
Gretchen
Lee's picture

(post #37153, reply #4 of 20)

I do it that way, too.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to avoid spattering and smoke at that temperature unless you remove the fat as it accumulates.  That helps, but doesn't eliminate it.  I've been using a cast iron skillet lately and that cuts down on it a bit, but there's no room for vegetables.  I've been roasting them separately in the second oven.  I'd love to roast the chicken at 450 or 475, but the smoke and spattering is really awful.    

unbaked's picture

(post #37153, reply #5 of 20)

I bought a Weber 'beer can' chicken upright roaster and it never splatters. You can do just the beer can thingie in a roasting pan, but I love my Weber, it's extremely stable.

If you don't want to use beer or wine, you can just use stock or something, but NOTHING makes crispier skin than the beer can method IMHO

I got the pan on Amazon.com, it's pricey, but lasts forever. I've had mine about 5 years now & I wash it in the dishwasher.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6408-Style-Poultry-Roaster/dp/B0012XXE3E/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235831095&sr=8-1

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

FL.Cook's picture

(post #37153, reply #6 of 20)

Or, use a beer can with a pan under it!

Carole

Carole
Gretchen's picture

(post #37153, reply #7 of 20)

This is a pretty nice looking pottery one. I have a sort of frame that sits on top of the can and holds the chicken, but I have just never been blown away by the beer can chicken, and seem to get a really nice roast one just in a pan flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Catalog-Source-5527-Upright-Chicken/dp/B0017QITS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235846798&sr=8-1

Gretchen
Gretchen
debpasc's picture

(post #37153, reply #8 of 20)

I have that pottery one.  I've had it for years and just got out of the habit of using it.  I like the vegetablesw along side in the roasting pan.  I also like the butterflied chicken method because it gets done more evenly and faster.  I may go back to my verticle roasting again, but I'll definitely lower the temperature and see how that works.  If I can get the same good result without the splatter -- terrific.  My oven is on self-clean right now -- the parrot is safely out in the art/yoga studio with SO.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #37153, reply #9 of 20)

Clean your oven

Gretchen's picture

(post #37153, reply #10 of 20)

Oh, there you are. I've been wondering!   LOL

Gretchen

Gretchen
MEANCHEF's picture

(post #37153, reply #11 of 20)

I'm never far away. LOL

Jean's picture

(post #37153, reply #12 of 20)

But you seem to be turning into a southern gentleman!! What's wrong with this picture?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Gretchen's picture

(post #37153, reply #13 of 20)

Want to travel up the road again? We'd welcome a visit. Chiqui is in Raleigh. Wolvie might be moving away I think so maybe we could get her for one more time.

Hey anyone, chime in.  Geoff gave us up for the big lights of Las Vegas!!

Gretchen
Gretchen
MadMom's picture

(post #37153, reply #15 of 20)

Geoff would definitely be on my ignore list for that, but guess I'll forgive him this time.  I'm always up for a fest!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #37153, reply #16 of 20)

yes let's fest.

MadMom's picture

(post #37153, reply #17 of 20)

When, when, when?  I neeeeeeed a fest!  Are we still planning on a Tracyfest in March?

Not One More Day!

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #37153, reply #18 of 20)

Yes, but I have heard no more about it.  We could have a Charlotte fest if Tracy craps out.

Rita goes to the doctor next Tuesday.  She should be good to go after that.

Edited 3/1/2009 6:14 pm by MEANCHEF

MadMom's picture

(post #37153, reply #19 of 20)

Hug her and wish her well for me.  I have Cincinnati tentatively penciled in for April 10-17, but am pretty free before that.  Tracy is probably so IN LOVE that she's forgotten about us old fogies!

Not One More Day!

Gretchen's picture

(post #37153, reply #20 of 20)

Easter week is out  for us- Apr 6-13.

DH has something Mar 6-13. but it is here.

I'll write Wolvie.

I'll post where wolvie and Chiquie and others in NC might see it. It doesn't have to be Charlotte--I would love it of course, and we could do some more stuff here if we wanted.

Gretchen
Gretchen
debpasc's picture

(post #37153, reply #14 of 20)

Just cleaned my oven.  Looks pretty good.  Scrubbing the racks was a pain but it's done now.  Windows and doors open (it's in the 70s and bright sun here today) and the fumes from the self-clean cycle are all but gone.  Grease splatters and smoke are but a distant unpleasant memory -- until the next time.