NEW! Google Custom Search

FC # 101 is here, unbaked wins top tip

Marcia's picture

Or is it tip top? LOL

Anyway the Thanksgiving issue has arrived in NJ, and while I've not had a chance to look at it, on page 8 I noticed a familiar tip, name and location. It's the tip about putting plastic containers in the sun to remove stains and bacteria. I didn't know about the bacteria -- I do remember someone on the FC staff was talking about checking this out.

The price is a Chef's Choice premium electric food slicer, model 610. It looks very cool.

Congratulations, Unbaked!

Florida2's picture

(post #39689, reply #1 of 82)

Congratulations unbaked!!!

Marcia's picture

(post #39689, reply #2 of 82)

Hooray for you. If you feel like a princess, I'd say you are one. ;-)

MadMom's picture

(post #39689, reply #3 of 82)

Congratulations!  Good to see one of "us" winning!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Jean's picture

(post #39689, reply #4 of 82)

My delete. Hey, congrats!! Glad to see your tip won--looks like a nice prize too. :)

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
      I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Carole4's picture

(post #39689, reply #5 of 82)

Congratulations!

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #39689, reply #6 of 82)

Now that it a great tip.

Marcia's picture

(post #39689, reply #9 of 82)

The FC staff evidently did a bit of research on it, too. It's not something I would have necessarily believed.

dorcast's picture

(post #39689, reply #7 of 82)

Congrats!

leonap's picture

(post #39689, reply #8 of 82)

Wow! Congratulations! Great tip and sounds like a great prize!

Risottogirl's picture

(post #39689, reply #10 of 82)

the Thanksgiving issue ??????

We have barely had any summer! Waaaaah.

(Congrats unbaked!)

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Marcia's picture

(post #39689, reply #11 of 82)

I was sort of surprised, myself. Oh, well....

madnoodle's picture

(post #39689, reply #12 of 82)

Good for you.  My mom did the containers in the sun trick--I never thought of it as a tip either. 

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Heather's picture

(post #39689, reply #13 of 82)

Congratulations! A well-deserved prize for you!

tones's picture

(post #39689, reply #14 of 82)

Yea!  Yes, you deserve recognition, unbaked.  Congratulations.

TracyK's picture

(post #39689, reply #16 of 82)

Cool, congratulations! :)

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor

Flavourgirl's picture

(post #39689, reply #17 of 82)

Congratulations, Unbaked! Can't wait to see the issue.

Adele's picture

(post #39689, reply #18 of 82)

Congratulations!  WTG^5!!!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Aberwacky's picture

(post #39689, reply #19 of 82)

Well, it's new to me!  Congratulations!

(I recently heard about a movement to improve water quality in undeveloped countries by putting their water outside in the sun in clear plastic jugs.  Seems the UV rays get rid of the bacteria.  Haven't read the issue, but I'm assuming the sun gets rid of the bacteria on plastic the same way!)

Leigh

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them."
-Leo Tolstoy
"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
soupereasy's picture

(post #39689, reply #20 of 82)

I think this issue is pretty good. Really liked the fish section.

Adele's picture

(post #39689, reply #22 of 82)

I like it too and am irritated that I went to the store after work.  Now I have to go back to get pears for the front cover picture and wonton wrappers to make the 'update' french soup.  I might even have to test the chocolate bark with ginger and pistachios before Christmas baking.

I'm not a pie maker and am glad they have a step by step with pictures for the crust.  The technique in the back, advanced crimping, is pretty neat.  I want to make a 'wheat edge', but think it would be too delicate with the struesel topping of the pear w/dried cherry pie

Biscuit's picture

(post #39689, reply #25 of 82)

Congratulations, Unbaked!  Great prize.

I am very happy with this issue, too.  I can't put my finger on exactly why; maybe because so many of the articles really appealed to me.

Funny thing - Max came home earlier this week and asked me what French Onion Soup was.  I told him, and he told me that it sounded SOOOOOO good and could I make some for him to try???

Then this issue came - and he got the mail, so when he saw it he took my magazine and read the article before I did!  (G)  Now he's very excited about getting the butcher to get us some beef bones for the stock (g).

Okay - so he won't eat a vegetable, or tomato sauce, or anything with a sauce on it.  At least he's interested in real french onion soup!

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

Gretchen's picture

(post #39689, reply #26 of 82)

I really love FOS made with good chicken broth.

Gretchen

Gretchen
TracyK's picture

(post #39689, reply #27 of 82)

Me too!

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor

caroljay's picture

(post #39689, reply #53 of 82)

You know, that's how it begins.  I recall my niece - the Carnivore.  Dreaded vegetables, pasta, blue cheese, or (horrors!) mushrooms, would never pass her lips.  Then, she grew up and discovered Chinese and Mexican food, chocolate, and a few other exotics.  Now, at eighteen, she has been to France and Ireland, and has discovered a love for French cooking - complete with blue cheese, mushrooms, and a variety of other foods formerly despised.  This could happen with your Max!

Caroljay

madnoodle's picture

(post #39689, reply #21 of 82)

A farming friend of ours installed a UV system to treat the water he pumps for his cattle.  Same principle.

nexus's picture

(post #39689, reply #23 of 82)

Congratulations!

Cheryl

kathymcmo's picture

(post #39689, reply #24 of 82)

Wanted to add my congratulations too. It's a really good tip.

debe5t's picture

(post #39689, reply #28 of 82)

Well done,unbaked!!!

Deb

knitpik's picture

(post #39689, reply #29 of 82)

Congratulations!