NEW! Google Custom Search

Cook the Issue 104?

Pielove's picture

Hi All--

The print version of Issue 104 has an announcement for a new Cook the Issue challenge.  We had a lot of fun with the first Cook the Issue challenge, for #97, and would like to do it again-- it was fun to get out of my usual cooking rut and try some new things.  Has anyone seen an online announcement for this?  The wording of the print announcement implied that it might be an ongoing thing.

pie

RDA's picture

Cook the Issue 2010 (post #69676, reply #1 of 21)

We're putting the finishing touches on the announcement now and moving a couple of recipes into the contest that we found in the gallery from #104. The big difference between Cook the Issue 2010 and the one we did for #97 is that we'll run this one all year long and the prizes are incremental in a way:  The more you cook, the more you win.
Stay tuned,
Robyn

Pielove's picture

Cool! (post #69676, reply #2 of 21)

Hey Robyn, thanks for the update!  That sounds really interesting.  My husband and daughter are very enthusiastic about doing another cook-the-issue-- the last one turned into a real family project, as I would cook, they would photograph, then we all would eat.  There were a lot of great recipes I would not ordinarily have tried.  Hmm, I'm going to have to look into some softshell crabs!

pie

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Wish I'd known (post #69676, reply #4 of 21)

I have made several recipes from the current issue already, but now I need to make them again if not just for the photos to add to my MasterCook files. 

Everything so far has been great!

Pielove's picture

Cook the issue (post #69676, reply #5 of 21)

What have you tried?  We loved the soup that was shown in the cover photo.  

pie

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Cook the issue (post #69676, reply #3 of 21)

I had my own personal fun and really didn't submit anything, but may this time especially with my new lens.

Pielove's picture

Cooking the issues (post #69676, reply #6 of 21)

Hi ICD!  I see you have been submitting some lovely and delicious-looking photos.  I look forward to seeing more from your kitchen and your new lens!  Year-round access to soft-shell crabs, wow!

pie

For anyone else, check out the contest here:

http://www.finecooking.com/contest/cook-the-issue-2010

It looks like this contest will be year-long and comprise issues 104-109, so plenty of recipes to choose from.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Cook the issue 104 (post #69676, reply #7 of 21)

I am having some fun, but resizing my photos is quite a problem for me today as always.  I have two programs, PE8 that I have not learned a thing about and an old Photoimpact program that I haven't used in ages. 

What a pain, so my photos are not great.

Pielove's picture

Your turn ICD... (post #69676, reply #8 of 21)

...I made the lamb roast and the spinach with white beans.  Since we seem to be alternating, I hope you have something else to post-- I can't wait to see what you make next.  I love your idea of a white bean dip with roasted garlic and I have both of those left over!  I scored a 3-lb block of cream cheese at Costco (wow), so cheesecake is definitely on my list-- I just can't decide what flavor to make.

pie

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Is it really only two of us? So sad (post #69676, reply #9 of 21)

I did make a cheesecake yesterday and will have it tonight so I will be posting that later on.  I have to tell you that I am very pleased with the recipe.  I won't tell you which one so I can't wait to see which one you will choose.   

I can't get my husband to eat lamb so I must have company one night for any lamb recipes, but that isn't a problem since I have so many friends that love lamb and then I just fix a piece of pork for him.  I will be using a smaller boneless cut so there won't be much leftover. 

Well, I found curly spinach on sale yesterday and guess what I am making for dinner tonight.  I was thinking of making the brioche, but it is going to 90° today and I don't want to turn on the oven. 

That roasted garlic bean dip goes a long way and I found another use for it one night when DH wasn't home for dinner, I'll post it just for laughs, but it was pretty good.

Pielove's picture

Cheesecake! (post #69676, reply #10 of 21)

Hi ICD--

So far it is just the two of us, but I bet more will show up-- after all, it is a whole year.  I saw your lemon cheesecake and it looks superb!  After all my grumping about all the lemon zest, I was thinking about making a lemon cheesecake too.  I am also considering a coffee-chocolate chip.  I wonder if I could make half coffee and half plain (plain for the kid who is already energetic enough)-- the intersection of the two might be a nice swirl.

Also, I loved your idea of putting the bean dip on pasta-- I bet it made a nice creamy sauce.  What a good idea-- Ellie Krieger should take note.

I just got my copy of Issue 105 today and it looks good.  I'm excited about the greens article, as we get a ton of greens in our vegetable box, which starts in just a few weeks.  Check out the reader's contribution on page 17-- that is me and my daughter Clara- who really loves peas.  

What is next on your list?

pie

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Cheesecake and Cheesesteak (post #69676, reply #11 of 21)

I was hoping for a cheesesteak in one of the issues and I made a fabulous one a couple of weeks ago and the photo is to drool over.  I also take photos to add to my Mastercook files for a lot of my recipes.

I am not sure what I will make next, but I want to find some fish tomorrow and maybe even salmon if I feel like driving the distance to get it.  I made the halibut in the issue and really liked it.  The poached shrimp is a maybe for this week and I still want to make the brioche, but it was almost 90 today again and too hot to turn the oven on and besides my Mondays are pretty much of a waste and I couldn't settle into the bread mode today.

I'll look for your contribution when I receive my issue.  Well off to finish the barbecued chicken and that spinach dish will get made as well.

PreviewAttachmentSize
DSC_2316_Cheese_steak.jpg
DSC_2316_Cheese_steak.jpg86.09 KB
Pielove's picture

cook the issue-- more participants (post #69676, reply #12 of 21)

I hope we get more people in this contest-- to that end, I posted a link to the contest on egullet, in a thread about cooking with FC:

http://tinyurl.com/2ffhrfl

We'll see...

pie

Pielove's picture

Posting to the Gallery (post #69676, reply #13 of 21)

Hi ICD--

Hey, I was checking out your latest Cook the Issue submission and it looks great.  How was the glaze on the ribs-- was it really sweet?  Those ribs are beautiful.

One thing, it looks like the ribs got posted just to the regular gallery, not to the Cook the Issue contest.  I had this problem with another contest-- I kept messing up where things got posted.  Robyn can move the submission-- you can email her through her profile here, she was really helpful with my mess-up.  You could also just re-post-- just remember to start from

http://www.finecooking.com/contest/cook-the-issue-2010

If you re-post, don't forget to copy the text of your entry into a word document-- that way you can just paste it back into the new posting and you won't have to re-type anything.

pie

Pielove's picture

Don't look now... (post #69676, reply #14 of 21)

...but we have company in the contest.  Check out the grilled sausage panini by liamsaunt-- I hope she posts some more...

pie

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Liamsaunt...welcome (post #69676, reply #15 of 21)

Good for Liamsaunt...pretty much we are not in it to win it, but we are having fun.  Thanks for the company, ANYONE ANYONE ELSE?

ICDOCEAN1's picture

How goes Cook the Issue? (post #69676, reply #17 of 21)

I have kind of slacked off, but I will be making a few of the recipes that I have already made in the next week or so.  I'm kind of bored so I hope a new issue arrives soon!  What are you all cooking other than from the last two issues?

I even thought it might be a good idea for the powers that be to choose several recipes from past issues suitable for hot weather cooking, grilling, and vegetable salads. Summer meals would be a great edition to Cook the Issue and since there aren't too many participants, I don't think anyone would complain if we deviate just a little. 

I just might post a few recipes and note "Not Cook the Issue, but darn good recipes" for hot weather.  I'm going to start maybe with my favorite gazpacho.  

RDA's picture

FC#106 Teaser (post #69676, reply #16 of 21)

ICD,

You won't have to wait much longer to start cooking from the next issue. We're building #106 for the Web right now. In fact, here's a sneak peek. That's right; you're looking at some pretty delicious hand pies there. And, I'm pretty anxious to see what you and Pielove do with the Tiki drink recipes (take your photos and upload them to your posts BEFORE drinking too many).  

Who would complain if you posted some "Not Cook the Issue, but darn good" summer favorites? I'm dying to start handing out some prizes! Start thinking about which Special Issue you'll pick.

Keep cooking and sharing it with us!

Robyn  

Pielove's picture

Tiki drinks!! (post #69676, reply #18 of 21)

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for the sneak peek-- I assume it's okay if I post a link over in the Challenge comments-- I don't think liamsaunt reads the forums.  The tiki drinks sound great-- now I have to re-claim my cocktail umbrellas from Clara!  Also, hand pies, I am so excited!  

pie

liamsaunt's picture

I am here now thanks to your (post #69676, reply #19 of 21)

I am here now thanks to your link. :-)  Hooray for tiki drinks! 

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Pimento Dram! (post #69676, reply #20 of 21)

Well I was a little excited about the Chi Chi Pache drink until I saw the one ingredient that is not readily available and how unkind to not include a substitute...Not one ABC store around here has heard of the stuff.

Some guy on the Internet posted a recipe, but how ridiculous to wait a week or even longer for one drink and then what to do with the remainder of the stuff.

Good luck Pie Love, let me know if you make this drink. 

I am not a big fan of baking so I will wait for the new issue to cook from it...

Pielove's picture

Issue 106 (post #69676, reply #21 of 21)

Hi ICD!  Yeah, it does seem like the classic tiki drinks have a lot of wierd ingredients-- falernum???  For the pimento dram, I was thinking about just adding a bit of fresh-ground allspice along with the cinnamon garnish.  I'll let you know.

Have you checked Robyn's link again?  It seems like new recipes keep coming up-- today I see one for Fried Chicken.  Now that will be a real stretch for me, I have NEVER made fried chicken!  With the fried peach pies, what a meal that would make!

pie