NEW! Google Custom Search

Indulge / 100 perfect desserts

Ballottine's picture

I received Claire Clark's Indulge, 100 best recipes yesterday and I can't put it down. Lots and lots of very interesting and unusual possibilities. I can't decide what I will try to make first.  Most probably one of her candy creations, but her Chocolate red wine cake looks so amazing. She says that these 100 recipes are her favourites from her last 25 years as a pastry cook.  (The book definitely has British "innuendo," she refers to caster sugar, dessiccated coconut, flaked almonds, tins, etc...)

Weights are given in both: g(s) and oz(s), so is the oven temperature, it  comes in C/F/Gas Mark. In addition to the directions she also has notes at the end of each recipe and a couple of pages of what she calls "The Secrets of Success."  She seems to differentiate between "cooks" and those who "aspire to be pastry perfectionists."

She says that successful baking is easier than you think, but, she says that cutting corners or rushing tasks compromises baking.  Some of the recipes are from 5 or 4 Michelin star hotels and restaurants, but she says that "even the more complicated recipes are absolutely possible and completely wonderful when cooked correctly." 

If you are in the mood for making and eating special desserts, this book may be for you.  Nothing is cheap about it,  not even the paper it is printed on. (L) but, I am a  sucker for anything that is done well ,  and this book is very well done,  I have difficulty deciding what is better - text or photos.  Bal

PS: Thomas Keller raves about her chocolate and pulled sugar creations, and of all things - her shortbread, she uses her mother's recipe.

So much to cook; so little time.

plantlust's picture

(post #62881, reply #1 of 34)

Must resist. Must resist. Must resist.

Umm, you don't happen to have any other recipe titles in mind, do you? Tho Chocolate Red Wine Cake has a certain ring to it...

Some little kids don't like the blacklight part of the neighbor's haunted yard. I guess there's something unsettling when the white part of your long sleeved shirt starts to glow, not to mention Mom's whole outfit.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Ballottine's picture

(post #62881, reply #2 of 34)

If you mean cakes, here is the assortment with randomly chosen blurbs.  All the opinions and instructions are Claire Clark's, not mine. (L) ; PP 33 - 56. 

(She also has sections on bisquits&cookies/ pastry/ meringues/ custards & creams/ desserts, mousses and jellies/ puddings/ ices/ petits fours.)

Carrot Cake -- "...miniature versions of this moist, frosted cake were paraded accross the lawns of Buchingham Palace on silver trays at summer garden parties.

Apple and poppy seed cake -- "...I normally bake this cake in a loaf tin...etc...,I once baked in it in a regular tin, layered with lemon curd and  topped with lemon moussse to make a celebration cake..."

Orange pistachio cake -- "...made with semolina and rice flour, then drenched in an intoxicating orange syrup..."

Frosted banana cake -- "...this is a tea time favorite of mine, but it has to be frosted  for me to enjoy it properly ....- 9 lines later she says:... If frosting is not your thing, bake in a loaf tin, cut slices when cold, ...etc."

Fruitcake -- (has to be made a month in advance...)

Gingerbread -- ."..includes all three kinds of ginger, fresh, ground and candied.  I garnish it with crystalized rose petals....also makes delicious desert, teamed with spiced poached pears and honey ice cream...."

Sachertorte

Lemon cake -- "...I have included a version of seriously adult dinner party trifle here, which can be made very quickly once you have the cake.   it looks classy and is so much less work than it actually appears..."

Battenburg cake -- "... this lovely checkered cake ....an immense amount of skill and precision is needed to shape it properly.  when I was teaching at Le Cordon Bleu, I would get the second-year students to make/bake ... for their end of term exam."

Chocolate red wine cake -- "...Despite the amount of wine in this cake, it cuts really well and is suitable for serving as a dessert.  Try making individual ones to serve with raspberry sorbet and hot chocolate sauce..."

Chocolate fudge brownies

Scones

plantlust's picture

(post #62881, reply #3 of 34)

WOW!  Just the cake descriptions alone would make this worth the purchase.  I will have to check this one out.  Thanks for the heads up.

Some little kids don't like the blacklight part of the neighbor's haunted yard. I guess there's something unsettling when the white part of your long sleeved shirt starts to glow, not to mention Mom's whole outfit.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Ballottine's picture

(post #62881, reply #4 of 34)

you are welcome.  bal

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #5 of 34)

Clicking on this thread was a mistake

but I shall resist

because I am strong.

It is not gremolita, it is GREMOLATA!!!!

(October 2007)

Ballottine's picture

(post #62881, reply #6 of 34)

You are my inspiration...I love your daily posts... always interesting... always pleasant...how else can I pay you back for all your good deeds? he-he-he

FYI:There are two other books that were given to me on the same day...Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes and Carole Walter's Creat Coffee Cakes.

I shall report on those as soon as I am done with Indulge.  I just can't put this book down.  As I type this I am salivating at the picture of Pink Champagne Truffles, p224  Amazing photo! This may be the first recipe I try, although, the recipe calls for  10g/1/4oz of  red berry powder, if available.  I have no idea what "berry powder" is.

Her Charlotte Royal has your name on it. She says: This dessert is less complex than it looks but it does involve quite a bit of skill.  Classically it is filled with kirsh bavarious.....my recipe is for a fruit based  strawberry mouse that is very light and creamy...

I think it is you!    Have a nice day.  Bal

Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #7 of 34)

how else can I pay you back for all your good deeds?

Here's a suggestion--send her the book! :)

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
knitpik's picture

(post #62881, reply #9 of 34)

LOL Same thought crossed my mind.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #12 of 34)

Actually, Jean, this book is apprealing but it would be a huge mistake to get it - I almost never make desserts, maybe four times per year? All my beautiful dessert cookbooks are more fun reading than anything else.

I should really stop even getting tempted. but... you know... :-)

(October 2007)

Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #13 of 34)

Well you didn't get to be a standard measurement of weight by gobbling down desserts!  LOL

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #14 of 34)

:-)

I have never cared for sweets, even as a child. Of course, I compensate by my love for all things bread

(October 2007)

FitnessNut's picture

(post #62881, reply #10 of 34)

LOL!.....And since when have you been strong at resisting cookbooks???

Follow your bliss ~~ Joseph Campbell

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #11 of 34)

Contrary to popular belief, and to the many undeserving remarks I get from this forum (sigh, sigh, sigh) - I am V-E-R-Y strong.

see, this year I bought ONLY 5 cookbooks! FIVE. Now, if that's not being strong, I have no idea what would be...

of course, we are in October and my weakest months are ahead. Fall cooking, Winter cooking, they get me.

(October 2007)

FitnessNut's picture

(post #62881, reply #15 of 34)

I stand corrected. :-)

Actually you've been better than me this year....

courgette's picture

(post #62881, reply #16 of 34)

I got three just today at Costco when I went to get Meg's meds. Had to wander and wait for the scrips to be filled......

Trish Magwoods Dish Entertains

Dana McCauley's Dana's Top Ten Table

Nigella Express by guess who?

Already bought Jaime's book a couple of weeks ago. Got the Pie and Pastry Bible in Halifax last week. It's not here so I'm glad I picked it up. There were only two copies.

Mo

FitnessNut's picture

(post #62881, reply #17 of 34)

Hands over ears. NO, NO, NO.....

I'm moving in less than two weeks. I cannot, repeat, cannot buy more books.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #18 of 34)

you need to look at things from a slightly different perspective

you are moving to a new place, it is a new beginning, a new phase in your life

what could be better than a few new cookbooks????????

(October 2007)

FitnessNut's picture

(post #62881, reply #19 of 34)

Giggle....you are so bad!

;-)

PeterDurand's picture

(post #62881, reply #20 of 34)

Eat your heart out:

http://www.bookstocooks.com/page193.htm

I'll let you know what it is like :-)

Edited 10/27/2007 1:34 pm by PeterDurand

Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #21 of 34)

You are cruel!

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #22 of 34)

You see, Jean - the internet is a strange place. Here I was, thinking that Peter was a wonderful, caring man, who would never hurt a fly!

instead... well, I am as shocked as you are. Beyond cruel.

I will now move slowly away from this thread.... (sigh)

(October 2007)

PeterDurand's picture

(post #62881, reply #23 of 34)

Well, if you must know, the cruel, uncaring, gloating, wing-pulling-off-flies guy got his just desserts; the event is sold out so no desserts for moi. *sniff*

Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #24 of 34)

Just Desserts indeed! And some say there is no god! LOL.

We love you Peter, sorry it was sold out, really. Maybe you could catch Glenys' knife cutting skills. :)

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62881, reply #25 of 34)

Oooh, that is so sad!

darn it all, I was hoping to indulge through your descriptions.... sold out!

hey, there is always next time - keep an eye open and be the early bird

(October 2007)

shoechick's picture

(post #62881, reply #30 of 34)

It's only $27 on Amazon.ca... my copy is on it's way :)

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

beebuzzled's picture

(post #62881, reply #26 of 34)

Is that our Glenys, the second photo down?

Why is the rum always gone?  Captain Jack Sparrow
Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #27 of 34)

No, that's Clotilde Dusoulier.

beebuzzled's picture

(post #62881, reply #28 of 34)

Sorry, I meant here .

Jean's picture

(post #62881, reply #29 of 34)

Bingo!! That's our Dear Glenys.

Glenys's picture

(post #62881, reply #31 of 34)

Oh my, I didn't know that was there.  I'm wearing Murray's shirt so don't know when that was.  Time for a different photo.