NEW! Google Custom Search

IACP cookbook nominations 2009

Gary's picture

Last week, the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) announced the finalists for their 2009 cookbook awards. Here is a blog with the nominees.

http://www.projectfoodie.com/spotlights/cookbooks/iacp-cookbook-award-finalists-guide-reviews-recipes-voting-author-blogging-and-more.html

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

soupereasy's picture

(post #63001, reply #1 of 27)

Interesting, thanks for posting.

KarenP's picture

(post #63001, reply #2 of 27)

I'm a little surprised the Flavor Bible didn't make the list.  It'll be interesting to compare these nominees with those who will be named for the Beard book awards.
  Some I've not heard of.  Some I'd like to have..maybe need to have.

Gretchen's picture

(post #63001, reply #3 of 27)

That's an interesting site also.  Gleyns's Dames group cookbook is on the list and one by Martha Holmberg. Is she still at Taunton?

Cooking with Les Dames d'Escoffier: At Home with the Women Who Shape the Way We Eat and Drink

Gretchen
Gretchen
Gary's picture

(post #63001, reply #4 of 27)

Martha left about a year ago to take a job in Seattle, IIRC. I have wondered if her departure was in response to the new direction that the magazine was going to be taking.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

Gretchen's picture

(post #63001, reply #5 of 27)

That was what I was wondering basically. The new kids on the block need some of what the old kids have.

Gretchen
Gretchen
butterscotch's picture

(post #63001, reply #6 of 27)

It seems you were absolutely right to wonder that, Gary.  Currently Martha Holmberg is the food editor of the Portland Oregonian.  I know because I miss her approach to food writing and recipes, so I've been visiting the Oregonian's web site from time to time.  It's not like FC, but there are some nice recipes there.

FL.Cook's picture

(post #63001, reply #17 of 27)

They have a wonderful web site.  I typed in her name, and all her recipes came up.  Your paper sure beats our in FL and MI.  Thanks.

Carole

Carole
butterscotch's picture

(post #63001, reply #18 of 27)

Any time.  I don't live in Portland--I just miss Martha and her recipes since she left FC so decided to check out what she's doing at the Oregonian.

FL.Cook's picture

(post #63001, reply #19 of 27)

But, your profile doesn't tell me where you live!!  Anyhow, it is a great paper!

Carole

Carole
Li's picture

(post #63001, reply #23 of 27)

Martha left more than a year ago--more like three or four, but she still contributes.

Only connect.

Only connect.

Gary's picture

(post #63001, reply #24 of 27)

Thanks. I don't miss reality when I'm not in it.

roz's picture

(post #63001, reply #25 of 27)

<<< I don't miss reality when I'm not in it.>>>

Gary, that's a great tag line! LOL!

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
Gary's picture

(post #63001, reply #26 of 27)

My other one is:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

roz's picture

(post #63001, reply #27 of 27)

Very funny!

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
SallyBR1's picture

(post #63001, reply #7 of 27)

I feel a little faint.

The garbage disposal is your friend. Treat it nicely.

(A little pearl of wisdom, February 2009)

Gary's picture

(post #63001, reply #9 of 27)

Just a little conspiracy theory. After all tomorrow is the Ides of March. I wonder if they used chef's knives?

Lee's picture

(post #63001, reply #8 of 27)

Interesting.  I only have 2 of the nominees, Olives and Oranges and The Great Wall.

mishmish's picture

(post #63001, reply #10 of 27)

I just got The Art and Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet and the two recipes I have tried have both been keepers.  Chocolate Banana Bread and Peanut Butter Cookies with Caramel.

Don't let your mind wander. It's much to small to be out by itself.

knitpik's picture

(post #63001, reply #11 of 27)

I made the Devil's Food Cake from the same book and it's delicious.

mishmish's picture

(post #63001, reply #13 of 27)

I have a another book of hers and the recipes are always great.

knitpik's picture

(post #63001, reply #14 of 27)

I've heard good things about her 'Desserts: Mediterranean Flavors' book.

mishmish's picture

(post #63001, reply #15 of 27)

My favorite nontraditional baklava comes from that book.  Dried apricots and pistachios for the filling. I think it was one of the recipes she had in FC in the last year or two. My Arab friends always make sure to tell me it isn't traditional but that doesn't keep them from scarfing it down!

Gretchen's picture

(post #63001, reply #16 of 27)

Yes, that recipe sounds familiar from FC.  Glad to know it is so good.  I might be tempted.

Gretchen

Gretchen
bwf17's picture

(post #63001, reply #20 of 27)

Would you purchase this book again?  I have been looking at it and wondering if I need it.

Thanks.

mishmish's picture

(post #63001, reply #21 of 27)

You absolutely need it! LOL! This coming from a person who left half her cookbook collection in storage but is quickly making up for it by buying more!

Really though I would buy it again. It is a lovely book and has a good mix of easy and more complicated recipes. The ones I have tried have been winners.

bwf17's picture

(post #63001, reply #22 of 27)

Thanks for the input....

chiquiNO's picture

(post #63001, reply #12 of 27)

Great site!!