the iacp cookbook awards for 2006

pamilyn's picture

(post #62700, reply #1 of 12)

Oh great!!! Thanks alot!!!!   :)        Has anyone seen "Dough?" Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

KarenP's picture

(post #62700, reply #2 of 12)

I think it's the only one I haven't seen or at least heard of.

Debby's picture

(post #62700, reply #3 of 12)

Saw this book ("Dough") in Chapters and after looking thru it I just had to bring it home with me!  So far, I've just been reading.....and that in itself has been an enjoyable experience........I'll let you know more as I get a chance to actually try out a recipe!  Didn't realize til I saw this thread how well it had done with the awards........

Debby

Sondra's picture

(post #62700, reply #4 of 12)

I've been interested in this book, but haven't seen it in bookstores.  I have Peter Reinhart's BBA, Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread Techniques (both really awesome books), as well as RLB's Bread Bible ( a great read, use some of the recipes, not my fav though).  Please tell me about this one when you've had a chance to review.  Do I need it??  (Yes, I know, CT'ers, I NEED it, I WANT it, I HAVE to HAVE it!!)

Debby's picture

(post #62700, reply #5 of 12)

I finally got a chance to try out the basic white bread in "Dough" by Richard Bertinet.  It was fun to see the mixture actually come together as he promises it will..........I was so tempted to add a bit more flour..........quite a different technique to the 'kneading'......shall continue to practice as he directs--felt a little awkward at first, as it was so different to how I've always kneaded dough.  I was very impressed with the finished product though!--made up three small baquettes and a fougasse.  Have to say I was pretty proud of myself when my ten year old proclaimed--"It looks like a huge leaf!"  The texture was very light and airy; and the bread had a wonderful "chew" to it, which I love!  

So, looks like you could add another book to your list, Sondra--if you haven't already! lol : )

Glenys's picture

(post #62700, reply #6 of 12)

You know Debby, you and I share the same astrological data but that's about all you've shared with us. If you have, without rehashing the last hump-year birthday that may have taken some of my memory, enlightened us along the way as to your cooking "zone", well I don't remember.
We might become tight lipped.

Debby's picture

(post #62700, reply #7 of 12)

Just for you I've added some info to my profile! : )  Was good to see you on Saturday at Vista Doro!  Turned out to be a beautiful day........

Debby

Glenys's picture

(post #62700, reply #8 of 12)

I knew it!!!!!
You're very naughty, or at least as bad as I am.

Debby's picture

(post #62700, reply #11 of 12)

You're very naughty, or at least as bad as I am.

You're a fabulous role-model, Glenys!  : )  Truth be had, you do inspire people to expand their horizons--in a culinary sense, of course (says she with tongue held firmly in cheek)--and to have fun in the process!!

Debby

Sondra's picture

(post #62700, reply #9 of 12)

No matter how many books I buy, the list just gets longer, lol.  How does that happen??  I do have this one on my list, sigh.

Thanks so much for the report.  I have new bannetons ordered from SFBI, tried them out yesterday with a Jeffrey Hamelman (Bread) recipe.  Love them!!  Can't wait to bake more bread.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #62700, reply #10 of 12)

Easy entertaining....

I am feeling a bit weak

(why, oh why are you doing this to me????? was it something I said? something I did? do you really hate me so much?????)

"The beauty of a Sally is how neatly she can be divided"
(CookiMonster, Dec 2005)

KarenP's picture

(post #62700, reply #12 of 12)

(why, oh why are you doing this to me????? was it something I said? something I did? do you really hate me so much?????)

Sally, Sally, Sally..Feel the love..feel the love in the room.  Watching out for your waaaannntts. your neeeeddddds, your got to haaavvveeessssss....I care!