NEW! Google Custom Search

8 qt Staub round $134.99-Coq Au Vin $110

sheellah's picture

Amazon has dropped the prices on theor Staub items. Don't you just love this store! The 7 qt. oval is $124.99. Might be diiferent in an hour though. Anyway, limited colors. 8 qt, and CAV are only in the eggplant, but that's a pretty color. Photo below but the shading might not be as pronounced on the larger pieces.7 oval only in Sunflower. Just search for Staub.

Please post what you bought, so I don't feel too guilty...lol!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/sheellah/eggplant.jpg

sheellah's picture

(post #55663, reply #1 of 33)

Gee whiz! No one bought any Staub at these prices? I admire your restraint...;-)! I can't say the same for myself though. I was a very bad girl. I couldn't resist the 8 qt. round for that price. I might get a hernia, but it sure is pretty. Deep, shiny aubergine shading to pale rose in the highlights on the lettering and rings, and a deep rose on the inside cover rim. Here's another photo I found of it for those who aren't familiar with the color. Amazon makes it look dark and dreary.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/sheellah/eggplant-1.jpg

They also reduced the 5 qt. soup pot to $99.99. The same as the $200 blue fish knob one, but I prefer the blue color. It's not as shiny though as the other colors. Does anyone have the Staub wok? It's a good deal at $89 too. The new one with the glass cover. Usually sells for almost double that. I have the smaller LC one, but would like a larger one too. Not sure if I have room for it though.

Edited 5/3/2007 8:40 am ET by sheellah

hsnow73's picture

(post #55663, reply #2 of 33)

Thanks, Sheellah.  I bought the 8 qt one too.  Too bad Amazon doesn't have the 25 off 125 anymore.

Mwalls's picture

(post #55663, reply #3 of 33)

Thanks for the posts and tips about Amazon have this sale on Staub.  I just ordered the 8qt round today.  This will be for me for Father's Day!  I have been in the market for some time for a enamel cast iron dutch oven.  LC seems way too pricey, and this Staub should suit my needs very nicely.  Thanks again!

sheellah's picture

(post #55663, reply #5 of 33)

And so it is! A beautiful kitchen too surrounding that gorgeous stove. One of these Eggplant pots would look stunning sitting on your range. You must get one ;-).

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #6 of 33)

If you can buy the Staub wok with the glass cover for $89, BUY IT! Amazon must have incredible buying power to be able to do such deep discounts! I sell Staub in my store and my wholesale cost is slightly more than their retail price! Of course, I'm not a Williams-Sonoma... yet! The Staub wok is wonderful, with a pre-seasoned, slightly roughened interior that facilitates scooting food away from the "hot zone." I've sold several, all generated rave reviews. Of course, one found its way into my kitchen as well :-)

sheellah's picture

(post #55663, reply #7 of 33)

Thanks for the info. I really don't need much to enable me, being the cookware junkie that I am...LOL! I was just concerned about the size of it. Is it the same size as the Le Creuset one, do you think, or larger? Do you also use yours for braises?

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #9 of 33)

I don't have a LC wok, so I can't compare sizes, but Heather's info is correct, in a general sense. The exact dimensions are 14 3/4"... when you add the shallow looped handles, the wok measures 17 5/8"... pretty good size! I use it for stir-frys, fried rice, fricasses and any kind of "whatever's in the fridge throw-togethers" that I make for myself when DH's out of town. Not so much for braises, where I use my LC oval dutch oven. Although for smaller cuts of meat, it would be terrific. Great conductivity and heat retention. Love the glass lid.

Heather's picture

(post #55663, reply #10 of 33)

But does it really have metal sides and earthenware bottom?
And how do you stir fry properly on low to medium heat?

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #12 of 33)

I have to admit, I tend to use medium more than low, especially for stir frys. I don't know the science behind the way cast iron retains heat, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. From what I've read, other pans absorb and release heat, so you have to work with higher heat to begin with. Cast iron absorbs, then retains heat, so you don't lose as much. That's as much as I know. Maybe someone with more info can add some insight...

Heather's picture

(post #55663, reply #8 of 33)

Is the Amazon description accurate for the wok?

"Cooking an array of ingredients simultaneously depends on even heat distribution throughout the pan. Staub's 7-quart wok ensures stir-frying success with cast-iron sides for even heating as well as maximum cooking area. Its durable black matte enamel interior is resistant to chipping and needs no seasoning; in fact, it seasons itself over time, as cooking oils penetrate the matte enamel's pores to gradually create a smooth, nonstick surface. Measuring 14 inches in diameter, the wok is constructed with a heavy earthenware bottom that will never warp and can be used on any kind of stove, including glass-top and induction. . .
Staub's cast-iron wok doesn't need high heat and so should be used on low to medium settings."

Several things here I don't understand--does it really have cast iron sides and an earthenware bottom? And how can that work on induction? It also says that the handles get very hot, so it's out for me--I'm famous for grabbing hot handles.

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #11 of 33)

Hi Heather,
Amazon's description was accurate. I gave the exact sizes to Sheellah. I've only been carrying Staub for about 8 months, so I have limited experience with its "seasoning over time" quality. But I love the line overall. As you know, all Staub products (as well as LC) are weighty... as anyone who's tried to hold with one hand and scrape out pan juices with the other knows! But I've developed great upper body strength manhandling my cookware, which allows me to reduce my gym time (ha!)

As far as your other questions go... the sides and sloping bottom of the wok seem integral in terms of seamlessness and coating. The only part that could be earthenware is a 5 1/2" circular enameled base on the base, which would allow it to be used on glass and induction cooktops.

Can't help you with the handles... they're shallow loops that are part of the wok itself and they can get hot! However, with the lower cooking temperatures and overall size of the wok, it's not that much of a problem. But if you want to be safe, the only solution is to buy a pair of SillyGrabbers from Lamson Goodnow (out of Boston)... flexible silicone mitts, made especially for grabbing pots with "ears" and even oven racks... although they work just fine on regular handles too. Good up to 675º or so. They're $13 a pair retail. I'm out at the moment, but will have them again in a few weeks... just in case you're interested and can't find them elsewhere. Amazing what they're making out of silicone these days!

Heather's picture

(post #55663, reply #13 of 33)

Not to worry about my burning my hands--I'm really happy with my 35-year-old steel wok with the wooden handle. It works just fine for me so I won't be changing.
Thanks for all the information, though.

Edited 5/26/2007 4:43 pm by Heather

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #14 of 33)

You're welcome. Half the fun of being a kitchen gadget guru is knowing what's out there... and keeping up with all the latest toys! Doesn't mean you have to have it all, especially if your old favorites are still working just fine! According to DH, I have every kitchen gadget (pot/pan/accessory) known to man. Used to be true. But I learned a valuable lesson the last time we moved. I packed the bare necessities into one box, from which I cooked for almost three months until everything else was delivered and unpacked. And did just fine. It was a rude awakening. I didn't realize how many of (Alton Brown's dreaded) uni-taskers I owned. I've learned not to be the kid in the candy store. I've even become a little retro... and reach for the chopping bowl almost as much as the Cuisinart. But I must confess... I still have two separate kitchens, one for baking and one for cooking. So I've got (you guessed it!) two of everything. I'm so ashamed... I could be the poster child for conspicuous consumption. Thank goodness I can buy wholesale!!!

Heather's picture

(post #55663, reply #15 of 33)

2 kitchens! you must win a prize for that. I have a feeling you are going to become quite the enabler here--we love to hear about new gadgets.

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #17 of 33)

I know... I'm a danger to myself and others. Is there a little skull and crossbones icon you can stick on my posts, as a warning to the uninitiated or the easily led astray??? Just an ironic little footnote... I'm trying to downsize from my behemoth in the woods, to a more manageable cottage by the water. Do you know what a major migraine that is when you've been a culinary packrat all your life? Did I mention that I have over 1700 cookbooks? Do you know how many cookbooks that is in boxes?? Do you know how many times I've picked up what most would consider a non-essential gadget, head for the "consignment box" and then, sadly, put it right back in the drawer? Really slows the "clean out the house" process! Buyer beware... it will all come back to haunt you someday! That being said... I had a really, really fun time collecting (and using) all this stuff...

MadMom's picture

(post #55663, reply #18 of 33)

For whatever it's worth, I am also a gadget-o-holic, as I think most of us are here.  My DH says it's okay, as long as I use them.  So, poof and piddle to Altom Brown.  I don't care for him anyway.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #19 of 33)

"Poof and piddle"... Is that an old southern expression? :-) And what are we doing to poor Mr. Brown, exactly? Maybe I don't want to know about the piddle part... haven't had my breakfast yet. He does look like an overgrown Tweety Bird with that hair though, doesn't he? And he could be a bit anal... but I think he's cute, in a pompous sort of way. I've even learned a few things here and there, about why some things work... and some things don't. But, like Emeril, Sandra, Paula, Martha and even hyper little Rachael, a little bit goes a LONG way.

As far as gadgets go, I'm not reformed by a long shot. Brought home some saute tweezers awhile back and now use them for everything... manipulating small stuff like fried shrimp (great control), snipping at fingers that try to sneak tastes of stuff BEFORE IT'S PROPERLY SEASONED and digging olives and pickles out of jars. Sleek, drawer-friendly and a multi-tasker too!

Jean's picture

(post #55663, reply #20 of 33)

N

There you go.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
PreviewAttachmentSize
Document.doc_s.doc4.5 KB
solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #22 of 33)

Priceless! I love my new icon. I can tell that I've fallen in with some wonderfully evil women. Thank goodness... I'll fit right in! Whenever you see it, you'll have to put your hands over your ears... metaphorically speaking, because you're about to be led down the garden path. Proceed at your own risk!

Marie Louise's picture

(post #55663, reply #26 of 33)

LOL, Fine Cooking is going to need to come up w/ new icons just for SLT (hey, that matches Sur La Table's abbreviation.)

For some, an alert that warns you to avert your gaze, SLT is discussing something you want. For others of us, there should be something to alert us when SLT has identified something we need & want to buy immediately.

MadMom, this is priceless!!! "My position on gadgets is that if you can afford them and if you have space for them and you want them, go for it."

I've given away just enough stuff, plus my new drawers have those full-extension glides so you can pull the drawer all the way past the back edge, so that I've got lots and lots of room in my new kitchen for all my gadgets... with room to spare! Plus I've still got "room for growth" on my bookshelves. What fun!

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #28 of 33)

There's no help for it. I just have to dislike someone who has "room to spare" in her kitchen. And space for more cookbooks? Unheard of! Mine are piled on every available surface. As though getting a gorgeous new kitchen wasn't enough. You can't deny it. We've all seen the pictures. We'll just have to drum you out of the corps.

On the other hand... I'm paring down and you have room to fill up. I can send some of my stuff over... ;-)

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #29 of 33)

So, now that I have my official SLT icon... how do I get it into my profile? It's a big improvement over any photo I would've dug up. As a matter of fact, how do I copy and paste it onto my posts? It came up as an "N" on previous attempts. I obviously don't have the appropriate font. Or it's my dinosaur software. Or the fact that I'm a (heaven forbid) Mac person. Now that you've been kind enough to provide it... I want to actually USE it! Once again I've proven how computer-challenged I really am, sad to say.

Jean's picture

(post #55663, reply #31 of 33)

Your best bet is to find another. Google skull and crossbones.gif and click on images and go from there. I've a PC not a Mac, so I'm no help for you there.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #32 of 33)

Thanks. Will do. Too cute not to do something with it...

MadMom's picture

(post #55663, reply #21 of 33)

Heaven only knows where "poof and piddle" came from...it just sprang into my mind and out through my fingertips onto the keyboard, LOL.  It seemed to match Mr. Brown.

As far as gadgets go, my newest favorites are my measuring ladles.  I got the 1 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz, and 6 oz.  I absolutely love them.  So far, have only used one for crepes, but it was lovely to have all the crepes turn out the same size for a change.  My position on gadgets is that if you can afford them and if you have space for them and you want them, go for it.  I have a bunch of different sized dippers, and I certainly don't use them every day.  It's so nice, though, when I need one to just grab the right one.

Have I ever bought (or received as a gift) a gadget which turned out to be useless?  Heck, yes.  There was the electric sauce maker, the big tub into which you dumped a load of potatoes and they (sort of) peeled themselves, the drying thingy which I just knew I was going to use but never did.  There have even been gadgets that others love, such as the immersion blender.  I bought two, left one with the house we sold in Louisiana and finally succombed to the pressure to buy another one.  I think I've used it twice.  Just can't remember to dig it out.

Not One More Day!

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #23 of 33)

On second thought, it doesn't sound southern at all... it's got a very starchy British ring to it. It seems as though I've heard something like it before... but maybe it was Piff and Piddle! Just as whimsical, just as fun! I'll have to try it on my girlfriend, who hails from the UK... as soon as the proper occasion presents itself. Maybe during one of our Tuesday nights, watching those whacky British comedies on PBS. The vodka/cranberry/tonic/lime concoction she serves me may have something to do with why I find them so hilarious. :-)

Measuring ladles...hmm... I'm getting ready to place a re-order for my S/S whisks, strainers and ladles, and that sounds like a really good idea. Always better to have a ringing endorsement from the buying public before one sticks one's head out. It's my worst failing as a fledgling retailer... figuring out what my customers will want. Either I have horrific taste... or they do. I guess that's why we have discount corners and sidewalk sales!

If you don't use your immersion blender on a regular basis, then you obviously have a husband and/or children who eat their vegetables. Or you're one of those lucky ones who get to cook for their own enjoyment. My DH (the D stands for doofus) only eats corn and mushrooms. Nothing green... as in salads, veggies, etc., no peppers... regardless of color, so the only way to get veggies into the dear boy is to throw them in a braise and then puree them into the pan sauce. Or hide them in Chinese food. Don't ask me what makes them more palatable in there. We are the original odd couple... way before those other guys on TV! Sad, isn't it?

solittlethyme's picture

(post #55663, reply #30 of 33)

OK, you've got me. What in the world is a drying thingy? A rack to dry pasta? A salad spinner? A mesh bag to hold your unmentionables in the dryer? You felt it was important enough to spend good money on it. Now I need to know. So, what is it? WHAT? WHAT?

MadMom's picture

(post #55663, reply #33 of 33)

It was one of those things with multiple racks you could use to dry fruit or meat on.  I had this vision of making dried apricots, dried apples, etc.  I never used it and finally gave it away, I think.  Since I managed to acquire it when a tenant moved out and left it and it didn't cost me anything, guess it was okay, but I still wish I'd had the gumption to try it, at least once.

Not One More Day!

drussell's picture

(post #55663, reply #24 of 33)

I love your post! I'm not there yet, but I definitely think I'm headed there. Makes me feel not so guilty or alone! LOL!