NEW! Google Custom Search

¡™£¢∞§¶•ª........can opener

maddog3's picture

I'm trying to remain calm....all I want is something that will OPEN a can or two, and last more than three or four weeks... is that asking too much ?

I am NOT going to buy another electric appliance for the kitchen.
I am NOT going to buy another attachment for the KA mixer.
( we had the opener thingy but it was a piece of junk too ) worked for a while and then it hit the round file cabinet

I want a manual opener maybe one of those "safety " jobs with a big handle
and I'm not gonna pay a lot for it either..mebbe $12...TOPS

or I am going to dig out my little P38 from Uncle Sam, at least that thing would double as a weapon !

any suggestions ? what does Sandra Lee use ?

., wer ist jetzt der Idiot ?
. . .

. . . . . . . .

monstersmom10's picture

(post #55970, reply #1 of 53)

Check out OXO's can openers.  I have a couple of those and they've lasted several years.  Bed Bath and Beyond has them.

Marie Louise's picture

(post #55970, reply #2 of 53)

I'm going to suggest the same thing I almost always suggest: Rosle. Their can open costs about $35, but it is sturdy and does that neat little trick of cutting along the outside of the can.

I just got a Rosle peeler and it is wonderful.

avak123's picture

(post #55970, reply #4 of 53)

I just got a Rosle peeler and it is wonderful.

I have had one for a few years and it hasn't dulled a bit. I know Rosle is more expensive, but IMHO, worth every penny.

Marie Louise's picture

(post #55970, reply #6 of 53)

I've had a Rosle ladle for 20 years and it still looks good enough to be out on display in my kitchen. Slowly but surely, I am replacing all my kitchen tools w/ Rosle products. (Hint: you can get them a little cheaper by buying them at amazon's 4:3 special.)

avak123's picture

(post #55970, reply #13 of 53)

And I know we both love their mixing bowls!

Thanks for the hint regarding Amazon.

soupereasy's picture

(post #55970, reply #15 of 53)

I was going to say I love my Swing A Way, had it for at least 20years and it works like a charm every time.

FL.Cook's picture

(post #55970, reply #18 of 53)

Which peeler?  They seem to have quite a few!  http://www.irawoods.com/Shop-by-Brand/Rosle-Kitchen-Gadgets?range=49%2C70%2C70

Carole
avak123's picture

(post #55970, reply #20 of 53)

The one I have is the swivel peeler crosswise - 12735.

I absolutely love it - it makes the mundane chore of peeling a joy!

Fast, fast, fast.

Marie Louise's picture

(post #55970, reply #22 of 53)

I've got the right-handed one (although I'm left-handed), and DH uses the lefty one. See amazon for a better description-they are designed to be used to pulled towards you. If you peel away from you (as we both do) you buy the opposite handed one.

avak123's picture

(post #55970, reply #27 of 53)

Very interesting, but I got the crosswise peeler. No left or right option.

With that thing, I can peel a potato in record time!

FL.Cook's picture

(post #55970, reply #51 of 53)

Thanks, got it!

Carole
avak123's picture

(post #55970, reply #52 of 53)

Good, you will absolutely love it!

FYI. A few years ago, one of the tiny screws that held the blade in place fell out and I lost it. No problem, the peeler has a lifetime warranty/guarantee. Sur la Table replaced it with a new one immediately.

How refreshing good customer relations are!

FL.Cook's picture

(post #55970, reply #53 of 53)

You said it!  It can make or brake a business!  Nice to know.

Carole
assibams's picture

(post #55970, reply #44 of 53)

Yes, yes, yes! I own quite a few Rösle items, and all of them are wonderful - the fine sieve (10yo) looks like new; the peeler (12yo) hasn't dulled a bit, when I lost one of the screws for the blade, Rösle sent me a new blade and 4 screws at no cost; the can opener has been going strong for about 5 years now. The ladle is old, but like new, as are the potato masher, the spätzle press, the conical sieves, many more. Once you get over the sticker shock, and realize that these are items you'll have forever, the prices aren't that bad.

To get back to the original maddog question: if you add up the $ you paid for can openers in the past, you must have spent over $20-30, right? Get the right tool, and pay only once.

Edited, because I hit post too early *g*

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Edited 1/11/2008 4:07 am by Assibams

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

Marie Louise's picture

(post #55970, reply #49 of 53)

I have a lot of their tools. I'll have to make a list on the weekend...

Gretchen's picture

(post #55970, reply #3 of 53)

I love my Krups, which I think is similar to ML's. Opens big cans, small cans, I store it in a drawer. I do open a good many cans and it lasts.

Gretchen

Gretchen
Biscuit's picture

(post #55970, reply #5 of 53)

Good Grips has a good manual can opener, sturdy, hard working, easy to use, in expensive.

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

dorcast's picture

(post #55970, reply #7 of 53)

I'll probably cause a little controversy, but I hate my Oxo Good Grips can opener. I am a big fan of their products, but don't like the way the can opener works. I often can't tell my can is open, and have to pry the lid off with a knife.

TracyK's picture

(post #55970, reply #9 of 53)

I don't think yours works properly, then. :-)

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

dorcast's picture

(post #55970, reply #10 of 53)

I was beginning to suspect that when I read the other raves.....

TracyK's picture

(post #55970, reply #11 of 53)

Which one do you have? I have the black one that clicks shut when you attach it to a can, it has a button to click when releasing the can. It's always worked really well.

Don't they offer some kind of product guarantee? Maybe you could try returning it?

CT poster in bad standing since 2000.

dorcast's picture

(post #55970, reply #12 of 53)

Oh - mine doesn't have a button, yours sounds much better. I obviously need a new one (when I'm done paying for the Dyson I've been enabled into buying).

Marcia's picture

(post #55970, reply #16 of 53)

I don't have that problem with mine, and I, too, think your Oxo is defective.

thecooktoo's picture

(post #55970, reply #33 of 53)

I had the same problem, until I discovered there is a little grip thingy on the can opener to pull the lid off with.  Look directly across the top of the canopener, to the left side with the handle facing toward you and open and close the handles.   You will see two little teeth that are barely visible.  Those teeth are made to grip the top of the opened can to pull it off.

I cussed this durn can opener for weeks until I finally figured it out.  Now it is my favorite.

Jim

dorcast's picture

(post #55970, reply #35 of 53)

Thank you!

I'll check as soon as I get home.

roz's picture

(post #55970, reply #8 of 53)

what does Sandra Lee use ?

heh heh heh...I don't know, but I've been buying cans with a pull top lately, 'cause I have the same problem. My sister recommended a can opener from Target....just a Target brand, no big expense, around $12.

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
Risottogirl's picture

(post #55970, reply #14 of 53)

I have a Zyliss that I bought for $1.99 in the sale bin at a local cookware store in Maine. It must be a discontinued model because I cannot find a photo of it on the Zyliss site or anywhere on the web.

It works GREAT though, like most Zyliss items. And unlike many I have seen, it is quite flat.

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

bunnycook's picture

(post #55970, reply #17 of 53)

I use the Swing-a-way we bought when we married 20+ years ago. It still works, even though my mom laughs when I can't use her electric can opener. --Bunny

VickiG's picture

(post #55970, reply #19 of 53)

I bought my manual one YEARS ago and I'm still happy with it.  I don't know the brand but I bought it at the grocery store and it came with a Good Housekeeping seal of approval.  It has white plastic coated handles and the rest is stainless steel.  After buying this one I've never felt the need for anything else. 

Just checked internet ... mine is also the Swing-away.  I've had mine for at least 14 years.  Editing to show a photo.

canopener.jpg picture by VGphotos

Edited 1/9/2008 4:57 pm ET by VickiG

Edited 1/9/2008 4:59 pm ET by VickiG

soupereasy's picture

(post #55970, reply #21 of 53)

LOL, mine is yellow, can't stand the colour but love the way it works! and works, and works...