NEW! Google Custom Search

The Official TracyFest 2004 Thread

TracyK's picture

Hello!

It's high time we get planning! I am going to use this thread to post general information about hotels, restaurants, etc. However, some folks have expressed some concern about posting specific information about hotel locations, etc. given the fact that we cannot be entirely sure who all is reading this board... so in order to assuage any discomfort, I am going to start a Yahoo group in a while, open to any CTer interested in coming to the Fest. That way we can eventually share the private info without having to worry about anything.

But in the meantime, let's drum up some ideas here! I am in no way as knowledgable about DC cuisine as Mean et al are about Seattle cuisine... but I do know some things, and am willing to visit any restaurant in which people express interest to determine if it's a good place to go.

Past Fests seem to have somewhat of a theme... Thursday and Friday night dinners at less formal but still fabulous ethnic restaurants, then Saturday's tasting menu w/wine pairing at someplace absolutely stellar.

I would like to offer the suggestion for one of the ethnic meals to be Vietnamese ... the DC metro area is home to a sizable Vietnamese community and I have had ample opportunity to enjoy a number of memorable meals... one in particular gets consistently excellent reviews (though I have not yet been) and I think would appeal to this lot... here's a link to the review by the Washington Post food critic, Tom Sietsema (upon whose judgment I rely a great deal): Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant. I plan to go soon and will endeavor to steal a menu for scanning/posting purposes.

Another option that would be fun for a non-tasting-menu night would be Jaleo, or Zaytinya ... respectively, Spanish and Mediterranean tapas. Also Palena. Or, if we'd like to repeat the sushi excursion, Kaz Sushi Bistro. And for a better look at the place I talked about in the other thread with the fried mozzarella in garlic/anchovy butter, here's a review... but keep in mind it's pretty much just your basic neighborhood Italian joint (which happens to specialize in Bolivian saltenas on the weekends), though very well-executed. Brunch at Colorado Kitchen would be a good idea, too.

Tasting menu venue suggestions include:
Todd Gray's Equinox
Michel Richard's Citronelle (WashPost review)
Galileo/Laboratorio del Galileo (WashPost review) (Laboratorio seats a maximum of 28 people)

Here's the link to the Washington Post fall 2003 Dining Guide... feel free to peruse and suggest at will!

OK, that's enough for today. Hotels next week. :-)

"Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes."

http://www.peepresearch.org

Wolvie's picture

(post #56726, reply #136 of 136)

Just let me know where you are returning your rental car. I'll probably just swing in there. Or if they have a shuttle to the terminal from your rental site, I can grab you at the terminal mid-level, for arrivals. Your call. :-)

S

"In my sentences I go where no man has gone before"
George W. Bush

"Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, 'Something is out of tune."  Carl Jung

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #113 of 136)

A small plea to attendees! QUARTERS. My extended absence from the US has meant my collection of statehood quarters has fallen way behind so if anybody can help me out with the the following I'm sure I could find some little example of UK produce to thank you (after last time not Marmite unless specifically requested!).

From 2003: Missouri, Kansas

From 2004: Michigan, Florida, Texas, Iowa?

Either mint, does not have to be pristine.

TIA

Edit to point out that this is a plea to ALL!

“In victory, you deserve <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Champagne, in defeat, you need it.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

Edited 9/29/2004 11:04 am ET by ashleyd

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #125 of 136)

I have a Florida and a Michigan for you!

Now, where to put them where I won't spend them accidentally and I will remember to bring them to DC?  Hmmmm....

AnnL
Transitions Farm
Gardening, cooking, and riding Central Mass.

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #127 of 136)

Good start! When we go away we have a folder of stuff we need to take like hotel reservations etc., so no last minute panics of "Have we got everything?".

“In victory, you deserve <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Champagne, in defeat, you need it.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #128 of 136)

Far too organized for me.  ;-)  I put them in my travel cosmetics bag.  

AnnL
Transitions Farm
Gardening, cooking, and riding Central Mass.

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #129 of 136)

Have to say DW does most of it, but if we're intending to do a trip like this one, then without some organisation it could go seriously wrong. As well as the tickets (for 3 flights), passports and driving licences which are absolutely vital we also have to have 2 sets of hotel booking details, 2 apartment rental forms, 1 car rental voucher, 2 confirmations & details for airport transfers in Washington, 1 for airport transfer back at home, 4 theme park tickets, cash, airport lounge pass, frequent flyer pass, plus of course a few deliveries for CTers. And that's before we pack!

Napoleon Bonaparte

Gretchen's picture

(post #56726, reply #130 of 136)

For our trips I make a notebook--3 ring, very light cover. Put in the reservations, restaurant ideas with addresses and maps of how to get to them, notes about sightseeing ideas, etc.  Take out the pages each day for sightseeing, etc.

Gretchen

Gretchen
ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #131 of 136)

Now there's a cunning idea! We have a pile of plastic covers for this kind of thing, might put them to some use other than my cookbooks.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Gretchen's picture

(post #56726, reply #132 of 136)

It really works well. You can find things quickly, they don't fall out or get mixed up.  If we are going to be in several places I start front to back with the itinerary with hotel, car rental, etc.
And I have things in Paris from past trips so it won't all have to be duplicated.  I have sort of made a promise to myself this time to try all new restaurants except for the one for DH's birthday celebration.

Gretchen

Gretchen
RJMR's picture

(post #56726, reply #133 of 136)

Ashley, I have the rest of the quarters you need – Missouri, Kansas and Texas.  I don’t have Iowa yet but should before the TracyFest.  I will get them to an attendee.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ruth

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #134 of 136)

Many thanks Ruth, that will save acquiring huge quantities of quarters and sifting through them like we did in Vegas last year! Still got the remains of the pile, if it was any bigger we'd get charged excess baggage!

Napoleon Bonaparte

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #119 of 136)

There are probably parking garages nearby that cost half that. :-)

"Never eat more than you can lift."   --Miss Piggy

Adele's picture

(post #56726, reply #120 of 136)

What would your recommendation be?  (From Dulles to Omni?)  Would  a regular cab be cheaper?   

Edit-  Shuttle is best. 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Edited 9/29/2004 4:32 pm ET by Adele

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #121 of 136)

Yep... shuttle is DEFINITELY cheaper.

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #122 of 136)

True, almost exactly half the price of a cab.

Napoleon Bonaparte

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #106 of 136)

I'd still probably drive to the hotel and just park there for the weekend. Going to National first and then Metro-ing back to the hotel seems counterintuitive, plus it will add about an hour to your trip (well, at least 45 minutes).

It's the idea of renting a car to tool around the city/see the sights that was problematic.