NEW! Google Custom Search

The Official TracyFest 2004 Thread

TracyK's picture

Hello!

It's high time we get planning! I am going to use this thread to post general information about hotels, restaurants, etc. However, some folks have expressed some concern about posting specific information about hotel locations, etc. given the fact that we cannot be entirely sure who all is reading this board... so in order to assuage any discomfort, I am going to start a Yahoo group in a while, open to any CTer interested in coming to the Fest. That way we can eventually share the private info without having to worry about anything.

But in the meantime, let's drum up some ideas here! I am in no way as knowledgable about DC cuisine as Mean et al are about Seattle cuisine... but I do know some things, and am willing to visit any restaurant in which people express interest to determine if it's a good place to go.

Past Fests seem to have somewhat of a theme... Thursday and Friday night dinners at less formal but still fabulous ethnic restaurants, then Saturday's tasting menu w/wine pairing at someplace absolutely stellar.

I would like to offer the suggestion for one of the ethnic meals to be Vietnamese ... the DC metro area is home to a sizable Vietnamese community and I have had ample opportunity to enjoy a number of memorable meals... one in particular gets consistently excellent reviews (though I have not yet been) and I think would appeal to this lot... here's a link to the review by the Washington Post food critic, Tom Sietsema (upon whose judgment I rely a great deal): Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant. I plan to go soon and will endeavor to steal a menu for scanning/posting purposes.

Another option that would be fun for a non-tasting-menu night would be Jaleo, or Zaytinya ... respectively, Spanish and Mediterranean tapas. Also Palena. Or, if we'd like to repeat the sushi excursion, Kaz Sushi Bistro. And for a better look at the place I talked about in the other thread with the fried mozzarella in garlic/anchovy butter, here's a review... but keep in mind it's pretty much just your basic neighborhood Italian joint (which happens to specialize in Bolivian saltenas on the weekends), though very well-executed. Brunch at Colorado Kitchen would be a good idea, too.

Tasting menu venue suggestions include:
Todd Gray's Equinox
Michel Richard's Citronelle (WashPost review)
Galileo/Laboratorio del Galileo (WashPost review) (Laboratorio seats a maximum of 28 people)

Here's the link to the Washington Post fall 2003 Dining Guide... feel free to peruse and suggest at will!

OK, that's enough for today. Hotels next week. :-)

"Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes."

http://www.peepresearch.org

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #92 of 136)

Unfortunately Priceline does not take Canadian business. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Peter

MadMom's picture

(post #56726, reply #94 of 136)

Hey - remember me?  I'm still available as your agent if necessary.

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #102 of 136)

Hi MM,

The plan is to rent a car, head for the coast and take in the sights. We simply want a little time with each other while vacationing. The car will be returned on Thursday when we get together with the gang. And we ARE looking forward to that.

Cheers,

Peter

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #91 of 136)

When DS (aged 20) went to DC a couple of years ago we struggled to find a rental company that would take him at that age so we hunted around for a smaller company that would. We found "Bargain Buggies" in (I think) Fairfax who not only rented him a car, but at an excellent rate with a reasonable age loading. Not on the internet, we found them through yellow pages. Although he took the bus to the rental depot apparently they will bring the car to you if you call them from the airport.

Edit to add that was Fairfax county, I think the place was Herndon.

“In victory, you deserve <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Champagne, in defeat, you need it.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

Edited 9/27/2004 5:22 am ET by ashleyd

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #93 of 136)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Peter

Adele's picture

(post #56726, reply #95 of 136)

LoML and I are arriving a few days early and plan to visit a number of places around DC

Pretty please save Julia's kitchen until I get there on Friday. 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

anneelsberry's picture

(post #56726, reply #96 of 136)

Are you sure you want a car?  Most every place you might want to go in DC is much easier to get to with public transportation than by car.  Only if you want to go out to the Shenandoah's or the Inn at Little Washington would I suggest renting a car.  Parking and driving is a ****** in the city, and there are some rather treacherous spots on the beltway where several freeways meet.

Somebody put a stop payment on my reality check!

MadMom's picture

(post #56726, reply #97 of 136)

An excellent point...I loved taxis in DC, and never had any problems.  BTW, Peter, did you want to get a room for extra days?  Let me know.

Lily Tomlin

anneelsberry's picture

(post #56726, reply #98 of 136)

That and the Metro has expanded and is relatively cheap and very safe.  You can't say the same about the "mixing bowl."  I would only drive around DC if I were going way out into the country.

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #99 of 136)

Taxis in DC suck. Metro is good, though somewhat limited as to where it goes, but cabs are way too expensive.

That said, cabbing is probably still better than driving! 

Peter, where are you planning to go? Feel free to email me and I can tell you if you can get there easily via public transportation... the Metro is very clean and efficient, and quite safe, as are the buses (though they are harder to figure out).

"Never eat more than you can lift."   --Miss Piggy

MadMom's picture

(post #56726, reply #100 of 136)

I hate to hear that the taxis have gone downhill...I used to take taxis everywhere in the district, because they were plentiful and cheap...IIRC, within a zone they were something like $1.  Of course, that was 15 or 20 years ago, when I was going to DC about twice a month.  (My, how time flies when you're retired!)

Lily Tomlin

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #101 of 136)

I loathe and despise the zone system, and the fact that you can't make heads or tails of the "map" posted in the taxi makes me distrust the whole thing! Plus I have heard too may horror stories of cabbie taking you around a block so they can charge you for one additional zone. Blech. Give me the NYC taxi system any day, where I can see what the meter is doing!

Also, DC cabs charge you an additional dollar per passenger for the exact same trip... which is ridiculous, seeing as how it costs them the same (in gas, wear & tear, etc) to drive one person from point A to point B as it would to take two people.

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #103 of 136)

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the offer. See the reply to MadMom. I have no intention of staying in the DC area with a car. We will be ditching it when we get back to DC to meet up with the rest of you.

Cheers,

Peter

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #104 of 136)

OK, y'all are making me nervous about driving down there, especially since I'll be arriving on Friday afternoon just about when rush hour will be starting.  :-(  Is there someplace, like National airport, that would be fairly easy for me to drive to where I can park the car, then take the metro to the hotel??? 

AnnL
Transitions Farm
Gardening, cooking, and riding Central Mass.

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

Wolvie's picture

(post #56726, reply #105 of 136)

thank you! I was just sitting here fretting over my map to you - I'll email you with some options. I think you will be happier. :-)

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here."
Source: PR Newswire, "Remarks by the President at the Economic Forum Health Care Security Session," Aug. 13, 2002

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #107 of 136)

Don't fret, I'll get there, one way or another!  :-)

Thanks, Tracy, I feel better.

Uhm, Wolvie, will you have your cell phone with you?  In case I get lost....

AnnL
Transitions Farm

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

Wolvie's picture

(post #56726, reply #108 of 136)

of course!

What I'm thinking is that I can have you park somewhere and I'll come get you. No rental car needed.

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here."
Source: PR Newswire, "Remarks by the President at the Economic Forum Health Care Security Session," Aug. 13, 2002

TracyK's picture

(post #56726, reply #109 of 136)

It's not that it's that confusing to drive in the DC area, it's just the traffic is a bear. Coming into the city at rush hour is not so bad, it's the getting out part that sucks!

I don't think it's necessary for you to park anywhere but the hotel... it'll make it a whole lot more convenient when it's time to leave.

courgette's picture

(post #56726, reply #110 of 136)

And all those circles and one way streets are enough to drive you batty. I can drive anywhere but when we were in DC I gave up the planned outing in Virginia with the kids and stayed in the city. I had visions of going in circles forever.  Mr. Mo will be behind the wheel in Oct.

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #111 of 136)

Don't forget that it is twenty-odd dollars a day to park at the hotel.

“In victory, you deserve <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Champagne, in defeat, you need it.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #112 of 136)

Oh, I missed that!  Sheesh, you'ld think they'ld provide parking for their customers!  I've never stayed at a hotel that charged for parking. 

Thanks for the heads up on that.  Got to go check the budget...

AnnL
Transitions Farm

Ann

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #114 of 136)

Yep, that was one of the things that persuaded me I didn't need a car. For the price of parking at the hotel I'm getting a limo from Dulles, let the driver deal with DC traffic!

Napoleon Bonaparte

Adele's picture

(post #56726, reply #115 of 136)

Limo?  I thought I read somewhere that the Omni has a shuttle bus.  That was what I was planning on taking,  now I'm unsure what to do.

AnnL's picture

(post #56726, reply #116 of 136)

The Omni's website says to take the "Super Shuttle".  It probably goes to several different hotels/locations.

http://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/default.asp?topic=location&h_id=6

AnnL
Transitions Farm

Ann

Adele's picture

(post #56726, reply #117 of 136)

Thank you ma'am.

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #118 of 136)

Yes, you do "the hotel tour", although the Omni should be early on. Also costs money ($22 for 1st passenger) and for two of us it starts to make more financial sense. As Assibams is joining us for the ride it definitely looks an attractive option!

Edit to add cost

Napoleon Bonaparte

Edited 9/29/2004 1:16 pm ET by ashleyd

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #123 of 136)

Do you have room for two more to share the cost? If so, what time? Sandra and I plan to return the car to Dulles on Thursday and somehow finding our way to the Omni.

Cheers

Peter

ashleyd's picture

(post #56726, reply #124 of 136)

Sorry Peter there are 3 of us and that's max capacity. If I had known I'd have ordered a stretch!

Napoleon Bonaparte

Wolvie's picture

(post #56726, reply #126 of 136)

Tell me the time and I can grab you guys on my way in.

"In my sentences I go where no man has gone before"

George W. Bush

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56726, reply #135 of 136)

Thanks!

I don't want to dictate your schedule however. We were thinking around noonish to two. Would that be OK? We could settle on a specific time if that period sounds good to you.

Dulles is a big place...where would you suggest we meet up?

Cheers,

Peter