NEW! Google Custom Search

MeanieFest 2004

TracyK's picture

Just thought it'd be prudent to start a new thread for the discussion of where to hold MeanFest 2004... In the running are Washington DC, New Orleans, Chicago, Philadelphia, Charleston, and of course, Seattle. :-)

Yes, I thought about calling it something other than MeanFest, but it just didn't seem right.

"Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."

Julia Child

TracyK's picture

(post #56716, reply #1 of 194)

Another argument for DC:

* * * * Laboratorio del Galileo

There are three delicious reasons to keep Galileo restaurant in your BlackBerry. One is the bargain lunch menu served in the bar on weekdays -- meatballs on polenta from a famous chef for $7! Another is the dining room behind it, the source of dishes like smoky octopus set on corn puree and Barolo-sauced venison. If I'm feeling flush (really flush) and want to toast a special occasion, however, I head to the small and handsome Laboratorio del Galileo in the back. As its name suggests, this space is chef Roberto Donna's showcase for whatever is in season and whatever he's inclined to cook. He and his crew scour the market to see what looks good in the morning and return to the Laboratorio's exhibition kitchen in the afternoon, where they spend the rest of the day thinking up ways to keep you well fed through the night -- the ever-changing menu stretches to include an amazing 12 courses, after all. One recent evening turned out roasted duck liver with peach sauce; celery root soup poured into a bowl decorated with blood sausage, garlic chips, pancetta and crisped onions; tiny and delicate ravioli filled with sausage and apple, the pasta lapped with veal jus; and extraordinary risotto crowned with sweet diver scallops . . . just for starters. During the show, Donna welcomes guests to come forward and see what he's working on -- never mind that he is cranking out pasta or removing a salt crust from a baked branzino. Everything about dinner here is carefully orchestrated, from the intelligent wine service to the first-class cheese trolley. And only one detail ever gets repeated, swears the chef: It's bomboloni (fried doughnut balls), arriving just before the check, to send you home on a high.

1110 21st St. NW (near L Street). 202-331-0880. Open: for dinner several nights weekly, depending on the chef's schedule. Closed Sunday. All major credit cards. Fixed-price dinner $98 to $110.

"Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."

Julia Child

MadMom's picture

(post #56716, reply #2 of 194)

Wow!  Sounds like the place for the tasting menu dinner!

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
Lily Tomlin

TEChh's picture

(post #56716, reply #4 of 194)

A few reasons for Chicago.

1.Charlie Trotter - the King of Chicago's culinary adventures.

2. Arun's - Exceptionally creative Thai tasting menu.

3. Trio- Food TV's show "Into the Fire." Inspiring use of usual and unusual foods.

www.metromix.com to search restaurant reviews and things that are taking place in the city.

Edited 10/20/2003 11:38:50 AM ET by TEC

Biscuits's picture

(post #56716, reply #6 of 194)

Isn't Chicago where Rick Bayless also has his restaurants? 

wtf    - Biscuit

Ancora Imparo -

TEChh's picture

(post #56716, reply #7 of 194)

Oh Yes it is....Frontera Grill and Topolobampo. Each is delicious in its own way.

Biscuits's picture

(post #56716, reply #9 of 194)

Then I vote for Chicago or DC, in that order.

I would much rather go to Rick Bayless' restaurant than Charlie Trotters.

wtf    - Biscuit

Ancora Imparo -

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #56716, reply #15 of 194)

I think it's important to remember that this probably won't be the last fest, so wherever we don't go next year we can go the year after.

I vote for D.C. this year. My second choice is Chicago. As much as I'm dying to see New Orleans, I think the "willing host" part of the equation is very important, and I see both Tracy and TEC and Plantlust lobbying hard for their cities.

ashleyd's picture

(post #56716, reply #22 of 194)

After Tracy's eloquent lobbying I think my vote's for D.C., but that's because I've enjoyed the pleasures of NO (and with Chiqui as hostess who wouldn't!) fairly recently. Also NO isn't a hub so a flight for most people would involve at least one plane change.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
Voltaire

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

iguana667's picture

(post #56716, reply #90 of 194)

Well, it seems like DC is a lock for next year, but (as is said often in Chicago) wait for next year. Another reason to consider Chicago for a future possibility is Tru (http://www.trurestaurant.com/), where Rick Tramanto does the main meal and Gail Gand does the desserts. Rick Bayless has two places with great margaritas-- and I bet you won't get such delicious huitlacoche in DC.

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56716, reply #3 of 194)

I vote New Orleans

I am at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table  -  Rodney Dangerfield

TracyK's picture

(post #56716, reply #5 of 194)

* * * * Maestro

You might expect that only a chef with a long history would have the experience it takes to earn a four-star rating. But at a mere 29 years old, Fabio Trabocchi works with an intensity and skill that belie his age. When you call to book a table in the elegant dining room, you will be asked if you want a seat close to the open kitchen; grab the chance to see a first-rate performer in action. The chef's menu combines traditional and modern Italian recipes, and it changes with the seasons. Picture a little casserole of macaroni tossed with crumbled sausage and ennobled with black truffles; crisp skate wing presented with sheets of green and yellow pasta and a gently foamy herb broth; and braised pork belly, its bands of fat wrapped around near-melting meat, its richness countered by sharp pink peppercorns. Each dish looks like a work of art. A glorious cheese cart and exquisite desserts -- I can still taste in my mind the warm and trembling chocolate-peppermint souffle -- see patrons to dinner's end in high style. Trabocchi isn't the only maestro at Maestro. Watching over the dining room is a host, Emanuele Fissore, who combines warmth with elan (forget your reading glasses? he has an elegant pair for you to borrow) and a sommelier, Vincent Feraud, who wants you to drink well no matter your budget. Cesar Ritz would be proud.

In the Ritz-Carlton hotel, 1700 Tysons Blvd. (in Tysons Galleria), Tysons Corner. 703-917-5498. Open: for dinner Tuesday through Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday. All major credit cards. Fixed-price dinner $74 to $112.

Julia Child

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56716, reply #8 of 194)

phooey.
chances are slim that I'll be going, so I'm just going to sit in the corner with my back to you guys and sulk.

If I could go, my vote would be DC and New Orleans, in that order.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

MadMom's picture

(post #56716, reply #10 of 194)

But...but...who will be my roomie if you don't come?  I vote for DC and NO, in that order, with Chicago a distant third!

Lily Tomlin

TracyK's picture

(post #56716, reply #11 of 194)

Nonsense! Of course you're coming. Just bring the kiddo along. I'll get my mom to come up and babysit for him while we go to dinner. :-)

Julia Child

shywoodlandcreature's picture

(post #56716, reply #12 of 194)

I vote for NO, with Chicago, Santa Fe, and DC in a three-way tie for second choice.

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
-- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, 'Blackadder Goes Forth'

SallyBR's picture

(post #56716, reply #13 of 194)

Two votes for New Orleans... (yeah, hubby can vote too, right????  :-)

APonKP's picture

(post #56716, reply #17 of 194)

Great idea Sally!  Two more for New Orleans.  I saw a glimmer in the eyes of my DH when I mentioned that it might be in NO,  (and especially in Santa Fe, but  I suppose the Sata Fe idea is out because of the lack of an airport).

If we are "about food" and I hope we are about food, there is no other place in the United States that has more good food in a relatively small radius than New Orleans.  Besides, it can be considered a wicked place and that's gotta be a plus.  ;)

Having a young, energetic and enthusiastic CTer like Tracy is a definite plus for DC and I do like DC, but for food and a festive good time, New Orleans has got to be The Place.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.  A.A. Milne

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.  A.A. Milne
Jillsifer's picture

(post #56716, reply #18 of 194)

And New Orleans has soooo many corners.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

shywoodlandcreature's picture

(post #56716, reply #19 of 194)

Good. We'll need them all...

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
-- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, 'Blackadder Goes Forth'

chiquiNO's picture

(post #56716, reply #40 of 194)

I also vote New Orleans.....my cousin opened up a cooking school here in a newly renovated victorian plantation home one block off St. charles avenue.  I could make arrangements for a special class with the Main teacher, Chef Frank Brightsen who has a fabulous restaurant here in the Garden District (he's been on Food TV) or with Poppy Tooker, head of the SLow Food Movement in Louisiana.  Both excellent cooks.

Can make arrangements for a plantation tour with special meals. French Quarter tours.....by Biscuit (beware her visits end up with pregnancies!!)  We could do a swamp tour, a Farmer's Market tour, etc.........There is so much going on here!!

Might even be able to arrange for a real seafood boil at my new house!!!!!  Hopefully I'll be unpacked by then!!!LOL

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

Edited 10/22/2003 12:11:52 PM ET by chiqui

Edited 10/22/2003 12:12:19 PM ET by chiqui

MadMom's picture

(post #56716, reply #41 of 194)

Just to keep everyone up to date (and I might be wrong, because people kept changing their votes!) but so far, it looks like 8 votes for DC, 5 for New Orleans, and 4 for Chicago.  Could be a bit early, but I'd love to settle on a place, then start hunting around for good Priceline deals on hotels.  DC seems to have some great ones...bid $70 on a 4* hotel in the mall area and it was accepted...first bid, so probably could have gotten it cheaper.  Also, there are three airports to choose from, so between Reagan, Dulles, and BWI, we should be able to get a good deal on air fare.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Lily Tomlin

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56716, reply #42 of 194)

DC would be good.

Biscuits's picture

(post #56716, reply #43 of 194)

If it's in DC I have at least a slight chance of coming.

wtf    - Biscuit

Ancora Imparo -

MadMom's picture

(post #56716, reply #44 of 194)

Slight chance???  What do we have to do to convince you and RuthAnn that it just wouldn't be a fest without the entire cast of characters???

Lily Tomlin

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56716, reply #46 of 194)

The problem is, I may still be nursing a baby at DCFest time.
Can't afford to bring the whole fam, even if it wasn't DH's busiest time of year at work, adn then there's the whole trying to get DH on a plane...
and I am NOT travelling cross-country by myself with a toddler.
oh hell no.

NO didn't get my vote since DH and I are planning to go there for our 10th anniversary.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

RuthWells's picture

(post #56716, reply #45 of 194)

If it ends up being DC, I might even come... DC's an easy drive for me!

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

MadMom's picture

(post #56716, reply #47 of 194)

Well, that settles it, IMO!  Seriously, I think we ought to think about having it on the East Coast to give the EastCoasters a break for a change.

Lily Tomlin

RuthWells's picture

(post #56716, reply #48 of 194)

No argument here!  <g>

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

AnnL's picture

(post #56716, reply #49 of 194)

If it's in DC I may even be persuaded to pop on down.  :-)

AnnL; MotherHen/Hobby Farmer

Ann
"The elders were wise.  They knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; they knew that lack of respect for growing, living things, soon led to lack of respect for humans, too."  Chief Luther Standing Bear, Lakota Sioux

RuthWells's picture

(post #56716, reply #79 of 194)

Alriiiiiiight!

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw