NEW! Google Custom Search

MeanieFest 10/25-27-Seattle hotels

ashleydbrit's picture

A quick round-up. The current rate for the Madison on relevant dates appears to be $179/night. Couldn't find a better rate for it, though that doesn't mean its not possible. Currently on hoteldiscounts.com the Ramada is $90/night, Vance $110/night and Roosevelt $130/night. Other rates above and below this are available on this site and also on expedia.com and orbitz.com. An offshoot of Orbitz, at hotwire.com allows you to specify the area and allows you to pick the class of hotel but doesn't tell you which one it is till after booking. Great prices but it's the no refunds - no changes problem. The two areas I looked at were Pike Place and Space Needle.

Question is are we looking for a hotel in the Pike Place area? I'm inclined to book ahead which usually gives best value with least risk. You can sometimes get better rates by booking later but there may not be any rooms so it's a bit of a scrabble to find something.

Any comments/suggestions?

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56634, reply #134 of 159)

I am coming. Book for 2.

Cheers,

Peter

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #135 of 159)

I'm planning on coming, also, and will be sharing a room with RuthAnn.

Insist on the real MadMom - accept no substitutes!

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #136 of 159)

Yes, I know, but I thought you could save him a very long distance, 6-time-zone telephone call  -  if you just set it up, we'll all book our own rooms  under that block.  Based on the initial poll that Ashley took about a month ago, I think 12-15 doubles would be more than sufficient.  Unless someone wants a single, but it seemed to me that everyone was looking to share.  We can give the hotel a cut-off date of Oct 1 - if any of the rooms blocked out aren't booked by Oct 1, they can "un-block" them.  Sound right to everyone?  <Dammit!  I still can't return!  No, Jean, it's not a double space that's the problem, it's ANY space!  When I hit return to space down, nothing happens.  It works everywhere but here - I don't get it.>

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

Li's picture

(post #56634, reply #137 of 159)

I don't want to share, but then i am also not among the 100% definite ones.

But I would be willing to take a double, if that makes things easier. Maybe I even can convince DH to go.

Cooks Talk

Only connect.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #138 of 159)

Mark emailed me that he would probably come.  Do you know if he is still planning on attending?

Li's picture

(post #56634, reply #140 of 159)

I know he's seriously considering it, but I don't know if he's 100% sure yet.

Cooks Talk

Only connect.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #139 of 159)

Ok, I will take care of it on Monday.  Will let you all know in the afternoon.

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #142 of 159)

I was under the impression Ashley wanted to be in charge

I think you have me wrong there, sir! I've just been doing the research on prices and stuff. If you (or anybody) wants to steer the arrangements (I suspect "in charge" would be a bit ambitious!) then we'll all be grateful. Especially me.

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #143 of 159)

So - did you reserve the bank of rooms at the Roosevelt??

( I tried to make this to MC - but - this board says there is no "Mean Chef or MEAN CHEF" as a member. sheesh. I wish they would FIX THIS GLITCH!

Woe to the cook whose sauce has no sting
- Chaucer

Li's picture

(post #56634, reply #144 of 159)

Try MEANCHEF.

Editing to say that that was a pre-coffee just-trying-to-be-helpful comment. I didn't mean to sound so abrupt. Sorry.

Mark's still working with Prospero on that glitch.

Edited 6/13/2002 10:03:00 AM ET by Li

Only connect.

ElGrandePapa's picture

(post #56634, reply #145 of 159)

I'm new to this group but this sounds like great fun! Used to work and live in Seattle but am now out on the Kitsap Peninsula.(Look west out over the water when @ the Market and I'll wave)

A Quick Tip: How to remember the Seattle downtown streets south to north,Pioneer Square to Westlake Center/ Pike Place Market.

JESUS
Jefferson,James

CHRIST
Columbia,Cherry

MADE
Marion,Madison

SEATTLE
Seneca,Spring

UNDER
University/Union

PROTEST
Pike,Pine

Hope this helps,enjoy the city!

Big Daddy(Living large on the KP)

El Grande Papa(Living large in the Pacific Northwest)
CookiM0nster's picture

(post #56634, reply #146 of 159)

Hey BD2, just because you're new doesn't mean you shouldn't join us. The get together is in October, so you've got lots of time to plan for it.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #147 of 159)

I have an appointment with the Sales mgr on Monday.

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #148 of 159)

This darn thread has gotten so long that now I can't find the dates for this fiasco...anybody remember when we plan to get together?  At the moment, American Airlines has flights from DFW to Seattle for under $300, round trip, so I would like to book if the dates are firm...help!!

transona5's picture

(post #56634, reply #149 of 159)

Weekend of Oct. 26. WAnt to be there so badly. But there are obstacles.

Left-wing pinko radical extremist. Yeah. 

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #150 of 159)

You've got lots of time to plan. Red eye on Thursday or Friday night. Go home Sunday. You'll need a break before mid-terms.

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #151 of 159)

I agree with Glenys, Michael - you need a break, and we need to see you at Meaniefest!  Can someone stay with your Mom for a couple of days?

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #152 of 159)

eh? I have the weekend of the 18th booked! yikes!!

MC - great news. Errr - which weekend is it?

Woe to the cook whose sauce has no sting
- Chaucer

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #153 of 159)

It had better be the weekend of the 26th/27th OCtober otherwise I've just bought some useless air tickets.

James Beard

shoechick's picture

(post #56634, reply #154 of 159)

It is the 25th/26th weekend.  You're safe!

Born Free....Now I'm Expensive

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

Jangomango's picture

(post #56634, reply #156 of 159)

What?   Oh, shoot.   I got confused too.   Can you change the ticket?

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56634, reply #155 of 159)

You can put me down for a king for 3 nights. Might even extend the stay.

Cheers,

Peter

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #141 of 159)

They are not within walking distance.  On opposite sides of town.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #77 of 159)

Those are some of the highest priced hotels in Seattle.  Nice though.

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #62 of 159)

Hi Aussie, it was suggested that we look at group rates so I posted asking how many were likely to be going (MeanieFest - who's going) so that we could estimate how big the group is. Ultimately we could all do our own thing, but it will probably work better if we're all in or around the same hotel, which means it's got to be clean, reasonably central, well priced and preferably have some character (other than a wino in the corner).

James Beard

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #63 of 159)

Agree, downtown, and as much together as possible.  Ashley, I await your recommendation, since I - like you - will be on a 12 day vacation and can't afford to blow my budget in the first 3 days, thank you very much.  Besides, DH and I want to visit REI while we are there and check out some camping equipment...

No sailors!  Absolutely NOOOOOOOOO sailors!  Trust me - they are no where close to as exciting as you seem to think.  And I believe I'm probably the resident expert on that subject...

Is it really going to be Fleet week?  Ugh -

Oh, Mean - can you plan at least one night or one afternoon for some REAL Asian food?  I don't care which - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Szechuan, Mongol, Vietnamese - doesn't matter.  Just something really authentic - some sushi would be great!

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #64 of 159)

I have in mind for all of us to have one Chinese meal in Seattles China Town.  It is inexpensive and good.

Part of where we end up going is a function of how many people we have to deal with.  Could be close to 20 people.

Edited 5/25/2002 3:10:09 PM ET by MEAN CHEF

Edited 5/25/2002 3:15:24 PM ET by MEAN CHEF

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #56634, reply #68 of 159)

"I have in mind for all of us to have one Chinese meal in Seattles China Town."

Is this the place we went? Their food was phenomenal.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #69 of 159)

Yes, they probably can accommodate a large crowd.

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #71 of 159)

Mean - do you think they'll put us in the kitchen anteroom like they did in Vancouver?  Just our rowdy bunch and the dirty dishes, but the food was good!