NEW! Google Custom Search

MeanieFest 10/25-27-Seattle hotels

ashleydbrit's picture

A quick round-up. The current rate for the Madison on relevant dates appears to be $179/night. Couldn't find a better rate for it, though that doesn't mean its not possible. Currently on hoteldiscounts.com the Ramada is $90/night, Vance $110/night and Roosevelt $130/night. Other rates above and below this are available on this site and also on expedia.com and orbitz.com. An offshoot of Orbitz, at hotwire.com allows you to specify the area and allows you to pick the class of hotel but doesn't tell you which one it is till after booking. Great prices but it's the no refunds - no changes problem. The two areas I looked at were Pike Place and Space Needle.

Question is are we looking for a hotel in the Pike Place area? I'm inclined to book ahead which usually gives best value with least risk. You can sometimes get better rates by booking later but there may not be any rooms so it's a bit of a scrabble to find something.

Any comments/suggestions?

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #103 of 159)

Of the three, the Roosevelt is a better choice than the tour bus place.  It is one of the oldest hotels in Seattle and is well located.

The Vance is a step down and I have not been in the Ramada.

Edited 6/1/2002 7:24:33 PM ET by MEAN CHEF

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56634, reply #105 of 159)

Stayed there once in the 70s. We were in SEA for simulator sessions at Boeing. Old then, but it was OK. It has probably had a re-do one or twice since then. Good location.

Peter

shywoodlandcreature's picture

(post #56634, reply #106 of 159)

Just checked out the website, and from that the Roosevelt looks pretty reasonable - sort of an up-town Sylvia. Count me in!

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #107 of 159)

so I take it that the Camlin is a dump? ;-0

I'll check out the Roosevelt and report back!

Woe to the cook whose sauce has no sting
- Chaucer

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #108 of 159)

The tough thing is knowing what you guys really think a dump is.  We all have different levels of tolerance.  One persons dump is another persons castle.

Camlin - Here is a review which pretty much sums it up:

"Outside of the hotel is nice, lobby is nice...rooms are NOT nice. Stayed two nights in different rooms, both were very shabby and worn. They weren't exactly the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in either. The main corridor carpets are very worn and dirty looking. This hotel needs SERIOUS renovation! There were also spider webs in most every corner of the rooms and webs accross the tops of the lamps. (no need to tip housekeeping! lol) The only reason I gave them even one star is that the first night the staff was friendly and the location is good. THATS IT"

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #116 of 159)

that would quality as a dump to me! ;-)

- Chaucer

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #109 of 159)

In order to make any headway here, we need to decide what balance you guys are looking for between "nice place" and price.

We haven't even talked about ANY "real nice" places yet.

The Roosevelt is in some respects comparable to the Sylvia.  Although very different, it has funkiness. It is located in the heart of downtown and within walking distance to most shopping and the Pike Market - all without hills.
Anything cheaper and we are getting into the realm of places that you will find less satisfying than the Sylvia.

If people can afford it, I still think the Edgewater would be a better choice.

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #110 of 159)

...has funkiness. It is located in the heart of downtown and within walking distance to most shopping and the Pike Market - all without hills.

And is $50/night less than the Edgewater. That would buy me a meal or a bottle or two of half decent wine. I'm coming to Seattle to see CTers and the city, to be quite honest I don't care about the hotel as long as it's clean, central and affordable. The Roosevelt would do it for me.

Oddly enough I've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels around the world and while they're fine for business I find them rather soulless. Given a choice I usually try and find something a little more homely. The Edgewater looks as if it would fall into the smart but soulless category.

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #111 of 159)

Works for me.

shywoodlandcreature's picture

(post #56634, reply #112 of 159)

Me too. Can we get a consensus on the Roosevelt? If it still seems a bit pricey, we can organize some room sharing.

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #113 of 159)

I'll go for the Roosevelt, and will be willing to share a room, within reason!

Insist on the real MadMom - accept no substitutes!

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #114 of 159)

Warts and all.

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56634, reply #115 of 159)

The Roosevelt sounds good to me too.

MM, wanna share?

~RuthAnn
Always Smell It First.

~RuthAnn

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #117 of 159)

Sure, RuthAnn - We can stay up all night talking politics and religion, LOL!  Actually, if I remember correctly, the test someone posted showed I'm more of a pagan than anything else, so you can enlighten me...and we can just agree not to discuss Dubya.  One condition, though...you have to bring pics of Natalie (and I, of course, can retaliate with all my grandbabies!)

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56634, reply #120 of 159)

Yes, I'd have to say that's my only requirement for a roommate - we don't discuss the president!

will bring plenty of pics of Nattie and Bill and the dogs. maybe even a couple of the chix!

~RuthAnn
Always Smell It First.

~RuthAnn

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #118 of 159)

hmmm. I think I'm out voted then. How far apart are the Edgewater and the Roosevelt??

- Chaucer

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #119 of 159)

Missed whether the Roosevelt has AC or not. Made that mistake once in San Francisco. Never thought at the price I was paying to inquire. Big mistake. If it does, I'm in.

I've stayed at the Warwick many times but the price I got on quick search was $199. Someone might do better on with a discount service or site.

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56634, reply #121 of 159)

Missed whether the Roosevelt has AC or not

According to the website, all rooms have heat and AC controls.
And blow dryers - one less thing to pack.

http://www.roosevelthotel.com/

~RuthAnn
Always Smell It First.

~RuthAnn

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #122 of 159)

Yes, they have only the controls.  No real heat or a/c.

It will be end of october - no need for a/c

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #123 of 159)

"It will be end of october - no need for a/c"

Speak for yourself. Cougars are inclined to use a/c.

Jangomango's picture

(post #56634, reply #124 of 159)

We'll help keep you cool, Glenys.

Ashley: Roosevelt looks good to me.   Count me in.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #125 of 159)

We may be getting close to a consensus here, and it's only June.  Not bad.

The roosevelt is attached to a restaurant called Von's grand city Cafe.  It is a decent restaurant, especially for breakfast.  And is a major watering hole.  No one need drive after watering.

As soon as we decide on the hotel and how many are coming, we can set a general itinerary for the weekend.  I think we should arrange dinners Sat and Sun nights, leaving Friday (arrival day for most) open to bar sitting and meeting/greeting.

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #126 of 159)

Roosevelt looks good to me.  I wonder if they'll give us a group rate?  But, either way, I still like it.  Looks centrally located, too.  I'll have to find out about their parking situation.  I say we go with the Roosevelt. 

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

PeterDurand's picture

(post #56634, reply #127 of 159)

OK, put me down for it. Sounds like fun. I called them a few moments ago and they said that the all the rooms were redone last year; they have a martini bar and a lounge lizard piano player in the lobby later at night. And to get in contact with one June Jossy, director of sales, for some good rates. The rooms range from single with double bed to "king" rooms with a separate parlor ("good for entertaining..? was the term used)

The location IS good.

Cheers, Peter

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #128 of 159)

okay - if you are doing the Roosevelt, so will I. I'll be sharing with another CT'er, ashley, if you are doing the booking.

Edit - are you doing the booking, ashley?? ;-)

- Chaucer

Edited 6/3/2002 6:32:10 AM ET by Wolvie

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #129 of 159)

Maybe someone could actually arrange for a block of rooms for us, and then we each book our own.  If one person actually books all our rooms, it's his/her credit card on the line for no-shows.  Anyone want to volunteer to block out a bunch of rooms for us?   And on a seperate issue, I can't seem to get my return key to work on this site.  Works everywhere else, but not this site.  I can't seperate my paragraphs.

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #130 of 159)

Who is doing the arrangements here?  Ashley, if it's you, I think RuthAnn and I have agreed to share a room.  RuthAnn - what days are you planning on being at the Meaniefest?  I'm flexible, so I can just match your schedule.  I do think it would be better if someone arranges a block of rooms, but don't want to see anyone get their credit card on the line for holding them...perhaps we could get some sort of group rate and just mention the group when we book?  I know that is often done for conferences, etc.  This is going to be so much fun...lounge lizards and all!  (I am practicing my "shocked and appalled" look already!)

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #131 of 159)

Mean, since  you ARE hosting the event, would you mind arranging for a block of rooms for us?  Maybe talking them into a group rate?  Since most people seem to be doubling up, a block of 12-15 doubles should be sufficient, I think. <Alright - why doesn't my return key work on this site?!!!!!!  It's driving me CRAZY!>

Ancora Imparo -

Jean's picture

(post #56634, reply #132 of 159)

Before you go nuts, if you want to start a new line and you're getting a double space instead---try hitting Shift then Enter.

Am I ambivalent?  Well, yes and no.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #133 of 159)

I was under the impression Ashley wanted to be in charge.  If not I will speak with them.

I am not sure how many are coming.