NEW! Google Custom Search

MeanieFest 10/25-27-Seattle hotels

ashleydbrit's picture

A quick round-up. The current rate for the Madison on relevant dates appears to be $179/night. Couldn't find a better rate for it, though that doesn't mean its not possible. Currently on hoteldiscounts.com the Ramada is $90/night, Vance $110/night and Roosevelt $130/night. Other rates above and below this are available on this site and also on expedia.com and orbitz.com. An offshoot of Orbitz, at hotwire.com allows you to specify the area and allows you to pick the class of hotel but doesn't tell you which one it is till after booking. Great prices but it's the no refunds - no changes problem. The two areas I looked at were Pike Place and Space Needle.

Question is are we looking for a hotel in the Pike Place area? I'm inclined to book ahead which usually gives best value with least risk. You can sometimes get better rates by booking later but there may not be any rooms so it's a bit of a scrabble to find something.

Any comments/suggestions?

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #1 of 159)

ashley - Thanks for the info.  I have a gazillion Marriott points, so would prefer to use those if possible.  Mean, is there a Marriott in the area where we will be?  If so, which one? 

Insist on the real MadMom - accept no substitutes!

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #2 of 159)

Personally, I would prefer to spend less than $130 per night, since I will be there for 3 nights and I still have 8 days of vacation left after that -

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #3 of 159)

Have we abandoned trying to all stay in one place.  As I said before, it makes little difference to me.

I suggested the Edgewater Inn as a place which is well located, on the waterfront, near the market, good parking etc.

You guys should discuss and let me know what you want me to do.

It is not the end of the world if everyone stays in their own hotel - just makes daily coordination a nightmare.

Discuss.

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #4 of 159)

Mean - In Vancouver, one of the neatest things was having everybody (well, almost...Wolvie used her Marriott points) stay in one place.  I would rather stay in a dump (but hopefully a reasonably clean one) that everyone can afford than be off by myself...just wondering what's available within walking distance.  Don't suppose Seattle has anything like the Sylvia???

Edited to suggest that we all bring tents and camp out in Meanie's yard.  ;)

Edited 5/20/2002 5:22:03 PM ET by MadMom

Jean's picture

(post #56634, reply #5 of 159)

Forget the tents, it'll probably rain, but bring your sleeping bags and use the living room floor. First one up fixes breakfast for all. ;-)

Am I ambivalent?  Well, yes and no.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #9 of 159)

Well, Jean - I didn't want to impose on poor Mean...but I suppose it would be better if we all slept in his living room in our sleeping bags.  Although, I do have a great tent, kept me dry through gales off Vancouver Island, so I don't mind sleeping outside if it gets crowded...so long as Meanie leaves the door open so the bathroom is accessible during the night, if you know what I mean.

Meanie - if we all stay with you, we wouldn't expect you to feed us every meal...just breakfast, and maybe appetizers with our cocktails every evening...you will be serving cocktails, right?

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #56634, reply #10 of 159)

I'm sure MEAN wouldn't mind if we all took turns with cooking and scullery duty, as well as buying the groceries.

=)

~RuthAnn
Always Smell It First.

~RuthAnn

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #7 of 159)

And then when something really does happen, there's a few witnesses to corroborate. Which can work for you or against you, oui?

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #12 of 159)

slight correction - I was earning Marriott points, not using them! My trip to Hawaii this Christmas will be "free" except for mementos!

Woe to the cook whose sauce has no sting
- Chaucer

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #6 of 159)

Everybody in one place is the ideal but the posted rate for the Edgewater is $189/night which makes a whole bunch of money for two or three nights. Hence the search for accommodation which is accessible to all. It's either that or pick a "focus" hotel and we stay as near as we can depending on our individual budgets. Like Biscuit says, some of us have several other nights to fund as well so the $130 or less seems to hit the target. I'll keep on the trawl, but any local knowledge would be useful.

"I don't like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like 'good cooking.'"
James Beard

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #8 of 159)

I will see if something decent can be had for $130 or less.  I am not confident that there exists such a thing in downtown Seattle.

If you want to look outside of the city, that's another thing.

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #11 of 159)

These are the abridged results from hotwire.com.

Search Results for Seattle, WA

Downtown - Pike Place

Check-in: Fri, Oct 25, 2002   Check-out: Mon, Oct 28, 2002<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

5 Star                           $145/ room per night

4 Star +                        $139/ room per night   

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />4 Star                           $127/ room per night

3 Star +                        $111/ room per night   

3 Star                           $63/ room per night

Rate shown above do not include taxes and booking fees. The total price with all taxes and booking fees is displayed on the next page.

All Rates are quoted per night, in U.S. dollars.

Rooms are always booked as double-occupancy and requested as non-smoking (subject to availability).

Prices are not guaranteed until a purchase is complete.

Hotwire's minimum age requirement for checking into a hotel is 21.

Debit cards may not be accepted.

James Beard

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #13 of 159)

Ashley, were any of these Marriotts? I do prefer to stay at them. I  was looking into a  Residence Inn situation - 2 - 3 people could share a room and split the cost.

Checking the Marriott site - this is what I found:

Residence Inn: - Lake Union, distance to downtown: 0.8 miles. Price for a 2 bedroom with 2 bath room, which also has a sofa bed in the living area ( thus can take up to 4 or 5 depending on spouses, etc): 249/nite. Split 3 ways, that is 83 bucks a nite.

Residence Inn, Bellevue - distance from downtown: 9.6 miles. Price for a 2 bedroom: 149 per nite - this one only accomodates 2 to 4 as there is no sofa bed, so the split for 2 is 74.50

Courtyard Seattle - Lake Union - distance from downtown: 0.6 miles, 2 bedroom rates vary from 89 per nite to 124. so that would be 44.50 each to 62 each.

distance  to the market from the Residence and Courtyard Lake Union spots is 1.3 miles.

That's the way I'd like to go!

- Chaucer

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #14 of 159)

were any of these Marriotts?

Well there's the rub, the thing about HotWire is it's a bit like PriceLine, you tell them the class of hotel and location and then, when you've booked and paid, they tell you what you've booked into, but it does have the decency to be cheap, their slogan is "a 4 star hotel for a 2 star price", and that looks to be the case with a 4 star quoted at $127 (or $63.50 on the split) somewhere within walking distance of downtown.

The other downside is once you have booked and paid that's it - no cancellations, no changes, no money back

At the minute I don't know whether to go for this or use my Hilton points. I suppose the first person to book this could tell us the class and the hotel and we could all pile in afterwards - I have to say the 4* price looks attractive!

James Beard

Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #15 of 159)

I have no preference on hotel, just price.  As I said, since I will be staying there for at least 3 perhaps 4 nights, I would prefer to keep it under $130.

I think we should all stay in the same hotel, even if it means "bunking" up.  I would love us to all coordinate and try to get a block of rooms together.   It won't be any fun if we are all spread out over the place.

I have no problem letting someone bunk with DH and me, but whoever does has to be EXTREMELY tolerant of small children who usually wake up several times a night when in a strange place, get into everything, and pitch a fit when their needs are not IMMEDIATELY attended to.

We will have a rental car so driving isn't a problem, but since we are big walkers, I would prefer the hotel to be within a mile or so of downtown.  We'll be bringing Max's back-pack and his jogging stroller so his transportation won't be a hassle.

The Edgewater certainly sounds wonderful - if our visit was going to be overnight or even 2 nights I'd be up for it, but we are going to be there for significantly longer, and I want money to spend on food and "stuff".  I tend to spend lots of money on eating when I'm on vacation...

Ashley, I don't have your e-mail address anymore.  I was wondering if I could get you to bring me something when you come to Seattle?  It's horribly tacky so I'd prefer to talk to you in private about it, but I need it for a gag gift...I'll try to e-mail you through this site.  If you don't get a message from me in the next few days please let me know.

If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral obligation to be amusing - the Duchess of Windsor

Ancora Imparo -

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #16 of 159)

Weight and size permitting (that's the parcel, not me!) I would be happy to come with assorted English/British goodies (or even "baddies"). My e-mail on this site works so feel free to post.

James Beard

Edited 5/21/2002 9:02:36 AM ET by ashleyd

MadMom's picture

(post #56634, reply #17 of 159)

Good idea, Biscuit...I'm also willing to share a room, preferably with a female!  (No offense, ashley!)  Snorers need not apply, but small children don't bother me at all...I am a grandma, after all!  Don't really care where we stay, but do want to be with the group.

BTW - it wouldn't help for one of us to book on hotline, then the rest jump in - what the first booker gets for a 4* hotel might not be the same one the second one gets, etc. - it's a gamble.

RheaS's picture

(post #56634, reply #18 of 159)

Would it be possible to maybe get a group rate? I don't know how many people are going, but if there are enough people, you may be able to declare it a conference and get special rates.

ashleydbrit's picture

(post #56634, reply #19 of 159)

Most hotels will offer a group rate, if you book enough rooms you will probably get a meeting room thrown in too. There are one or two potential problems though:

• We'd need to declare some time in advance how many rooms we'd take to get the best price. Some folks will not be able to commit until quite close to the event

• Somebody would have to organise room arrangements - singles, doubles, sharers etc.

• There might be a price to pay for no-shows, which will have to be covered, and they may require payment upfront.

• Sometimes hotels need these bookings to be made through an accredited organiser or travel agent.

Which all makes what should be a relaxed, informal affair into more of "business" type trip, although once the accommodation is sorted out we can then just chill and let it all hang out. I'll have a think and post more.

James Beard

YNLover's picture

(post #56634, reply #23 of 159)

Hello All

I have been reading all of your messages about Seattle. I was there last year for a week and after doing alot of research, found a great place in Redmond. It only took a 15-20 min to get into Seattle. The hotel is called Silver Cloud Inn. (800) 205-6934. It was a very nice hotel.  I dont remember the exact cost, but it was right around $100. They have a great self serve breakfast every morning in the lobby with cereal, fruit, yogurt, bagels, waffles, juices and coffee. And its in a very nice neighborhood. There is a used book store right around the corner that has a huge selection of used cookbooks. Theres also a smaller version of the Uwajimaya Asian Grocery store close by.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it. I would be happy to fill you in.

YN Lover

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #24 of 159)

Booking ahead will help and watching the outcome of the Mariner's this summer. Trying to get a room when the M's are winning is impossible.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #56634, reply #25 of 159)

There is a Silver Cloud Inn very close to my house.

It is inexpensive and within walking distance of a large and good shopping area.

This would be an alternative.  It would require driving to downtown, but that is only a 15 minute ride.

http://www.bestlodgings.com/sites/silversea/index.shtml

Li's picture

(post #56634, reply #157 of 159)

I took the liberty of adding the dates of MeanieFest to the title of this thread. Maybe this will help dispel the confusion.

Cooks Talk

Only connect.

Tuck's picture

(post #56634, reply #158 of 159)

I'm still not sure if I can come or not but I'm working on it.

~tuck
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Wolvie's picture

(post #56634, reply #159 of 159)

hope so - what got me was the constant reference to weekend after Columus day - that's the weekend of the 18th.

Le Sigh -

yes, Aussiegrrl, I can change my ticket! ;-)

- Chaucer

Jean's picture

(post #56634, reply #20 of 159)

but I need it for a gag gift...

And what English dish are you insulting now?? No way to go about asking someone for a favor. Tsk, Tsk.

Am I ambivalent?  Well, yes and no.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Biscuits's picture

(post #56634, reply #21 of 159)

Actually, it's not a dish, but a "souvenier" - something that you can only get in England, and is horribly, disgustingly tacky and I know Ashley will hate buying, but as I said, it's a gag gift for someone. 

Ancora Imparo -

Glenys's picture

(post #56634, reply #22 of 159)

OK, so we know it's not sensible white underwear from Marks and Spencer's.

favorablyimpressed's picture

(post #56634, reply #30 of 159)

I'm originally from the Seattle-Tacoma area and visit usually once a year.  Seattle is our favorite city and we always splurge and spend a few days at the Inn at the Market.  Yes, it's pricey, but so convenient.  It's a small hotel with a European flavor. 

Here is their website: http://www.innatthemarket.com/main.html

Also, the most wonderful B&B is in Federal Way, a small area in between Seattle and Tacoma.  It's called The Palisades.  I hope you'll take a look at their website.  I took 95% of the photos.  http://www.palisadesbb.com/

PreviewAttachmentSize
bxbview.jpg
bxbview.jpg23.9 KB
inn-at-the-market-panorama.jpg
inn-at-the-market-panorama.jpg33.11 KB
Jangomango's picture

(post #56634, reply #31 of 159)

They look wonderful but are really expensive.   

Are you planning on coming to Meaniefest?   Be brave.