NEW! Google Custom Search

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Issue #122 (post #71784)

Well hope the photos don't come out ginormous...The bacon was wonderful.  You will need much more of the soy mixture to brush a full pound, I did 8 slices and it was just enough.  I added a tiny bit more red pepper flakes. 

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Millionaire's Five-Spice Bacon (post #71784, reply #1 of 32)

I have no idea what happened to the rest of my post, but ask away and I will answer your questions about not enough soy etc to cover a full pound of bacon.  I loved the recipe...

And while I'm at it why am I not notified of "responses or comments" when I post or have requested follow-ups to other questions?  Is that feature lost?

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Quiche (post #71784, reply #2 of 32)

I had no idea that a quiche article would appear in the current issue, but I did make a great caramelized onion and bacon quiche last week.  I love quiche, perfect breakfast lunch or dinner and great leftovers for DH to take to work.  Now I'm inspired to try some of the other versions.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Bacon_and_Onion_Quiche_III.jpg
Bacon_and_Onion_Quiche_III.jpg193.13 KB
Pielove's picture

Bacon! (post #71784, reply #3 of 32)

Ah, I am still watching the mail for Issue 122 and you are not making it any easier! What is this-- bacon with soy and five-spice? What is the crumbly stuff on top? Ah, looks great!

As for notifications, I see a checkbox at the bottom, which is checked by default, but never get notifications either. Weren't you getting four notifications before?

Looking forward to seeing more from the new issue-- I also enjoy your blog posts, especially the quotes.

Cheers, Jen

schnitzel's picture

Millionaire's Five-Spice Bacon link (post #71784, reply #5 of 32)

schnitzel's picture

Millionaire's Five-Spice Bacon (post #71784, reply #4 of 32)

Great looking photos, Rosemary!

My preference is to receive e-mail notifications on comments too, but it's not happening for me.

kitchengoddess's picture

Just got it in the mail this week (post #71784, reply #6 of 32)

I just got it in the mail this week!  It looks great and I can't wait to get cooking!

I can see the option at the bottom of my post also asking if I want to be notified, it is selected by default.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

5-spice bacon (post #71784, reply #7 of 32)

Certainly a treat for us is the bacon and I'm glad that I tried it, but as you well know I have to go outside the recipe just a bit here and there and this time I did a little sprinkle of Japanese pepper for my pieces only.  The crumbly stuff is the brown sugar and red pepper flakes...sorry the pictures were so huge, but those in particular would not change size when posted for some reason. 

You bet I was the one getting numerous responses and now none, so what the heck?. 

The ramen was certainly an experience and I realize too long, alternately could have bee part I & II.  One of those things where you are either interested in the challenge or not and I labored over that business for sure. 

Pielove's picture

bacon! (post #71784, reply #8 of 32)

Hey ICD-- Okay, I understand the bacon thing now-- thanks Amy for the link!

I made my first recipe, the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kebabs from the Make it Tonight section (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/sweet...)

They were good-- next time I might add a bit of ginger and ease back on the 5-spice! I forget how tasty and easy it is to make kebabs-- a great tip. No photo-- we were running late for dinner!

I look forward to seeing what everyone makes from this issue-- kitchengoddess, I agree that this issue has some good stuff. That said, I'm probably not running out and buying a country ham, nor all those different kinds of rice! But those roulades, mmm!

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Spicy Chicken Kebabs (post #71784, reply #10 of 32)

Shades of Cook the Issue, kimchi that will go nicely with the kebabs.  I used bok choy + Napa cabbage and actually didn't spice it up too much so someone else can enjoy it and I can always add a touch of sriracha to to mine.

It has been cold enough outside to keep things chilled on the porch and I can enjoy it through the window.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Kimchi_II.jpg
Kimchi_II.jpg76.14 KB
Pielove's picture

kimchi, turnips (post #71784, reply #11 of 32)

Hey ICD, that kimchi looks great! Reminds me I need to whip up a batch soon.

Today I tried another recipe from the glazed vegetables article, the miso-honey glazed turnips (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/miso-...). This one was also not very successful-- because the cooking liquid is boiling away while the veggies are cooking, the turnips tended to be mushy in spots and tough in others. Also, the glaze just didn't do it for me. Bleh, I am totally done with the glazed vegetables article.

So far I am 0 for 3 with recipes from the new issue. Maybe I'll try the bacon recipe next... that's got to be good, right? Help, I need inspiration!

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Kimchi and turnips (post #71784, reply #13 of 32)

Well I had a strange time responding, I had to hit the compatibility view in my browser.  At any rate go for the bacon can't lose, but you might have to add additional cooking time as I did the last time. 

The glazed vegetables didn't sound too appealing to me.  I am making a pot of oyster chowder for dinner guests tonight, two don't eat oysters, but I season and saute a pound of shrimp and add it to the chowder everyone is happy.  Making mini Key lime desserts and a salad with strawberries and Raspberry vinaigrette as well.

I made a good salmon dinner last night, grilled cedar planked served with a yogurt herb raita very good.  I couldn't get pomegranates, but the cranberries that I had frozen worked nicely.  Good dinner if you like salmon...http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spice-rubbed-salmon-with-herb-and-pomegranate-raita

Another good dish this week and simple  Adaptation of Nigella's Cacio e Pepe.  Tomorrow a grilled eggplant parm...

That is all I have to offer for inspiration at the moment.

Cacio e Pepe.
Lemon Linguine

Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s “Nigella Bites”

Makes 4 big servings

• 1 POUND LINGUINE, UNCOOKED
  • 1 EGG YOLK
  • 1/3 CUP HEAVY CREAM
  • 1/4 CUP FRESHLY GRATED PARMESAN
  • 1 LEMON, ZESTED, AND JUICE OF 1/2, PLUS MORE JUICE, AS NEEDED
  • SALT
  • FRESHLY MILLED BLACK PEPPER
  • 2 TABLESPOONS (1/4 STICK) UNSALTED BUTTER
  • 1 TO 2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED PARSLEY LEAVES, OPTIONAL
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, grab a small bowl, and combine the egg yolk, cream, Parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Taste. Add more lemon juice, if needed.
  3. When the pasta is ready, remove a cup of the cooking liquid, and set aside.
  4. Drain the pasta, and then, off the heat, toss it back in the pot, add the butter, and stir to make sure the butter’s melted and the pasta is covered by it.
  5. Stir in the egg mixture, and turn the pasta well in it, adding 2 tablespoons cooking liquid if it looks a bit dry. Sprinkle parsley (if using) on the pasta, and serve now.
Pielove's picture

Glazed beets (post #71784, reply #9 of 32)

Tried the glazed beets (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/glaze...) and they were good but not earth-moving. First, the recipe states that the beets will cook and the glaze will develop in about 10 minutes-- mine took about twice that long and I did have the heat on high-- it was quite a rambunctious boil. Also, to my taste, the beets needed a little something-- maybe a bit more salt, maybe a bit of acid. Next time, a splash of orange juice!

The walnuts were a great combination and I used dill instead of chives, as my chives are currently dormant. The online slideshow where they actually provide the sounds to listen for was really helpful (http://www.finecooking.com/item/49581/wh...).

Definitely did not displace the beet salad with goat cheese (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/beet-...) as my all-time favorite beet recipe. I'm looking forward to trying the miso-glazed turnips though-- those sound great.

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

oh no! (post #71784, reply #12 of 32)

I bought beets and was really looking forward to it! That's too bad that you are 0-3.  I was so sick last weekend so I didn't end up making anything, but I am hoping to redeem myself soon :)

I will report back as soon as I can.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Oh no! (post #71784, reply #14 of 32)

Roasted beets are wonderful.

BABY GREENS, ROASTED BEETS, GOAT CHEESE

Salad of Winter Greens, Walnuts, Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Bon Appétit | January 2001

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel

Salad
4 (2- to 3-inch-diameter) beets, unpeeled, scrubbed, all but 1 inch of tops removed
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 (4.5-ounce) bag baby lettuces with frisée
1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
4 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), coarsely crumbled
Thin strips of orange peel

For dressing:

Whisk all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. for salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss beets with 1 tablespoon oil in 11x7-inch metal baking pan. Roast beets until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool beets; peel and cut into 1/2-inch wedges. (Dressing and beets can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring both to room temperature before continuing.)

Mix lettuces, walnuts and dressing in large bowl; toss. Divide among plates. Arrange beets around greens; sprinkle with goat cheese and orange peel.

Pielove's picture

Well, maybe! (post #71784, reply #15 of 32)

Hey kg-- so did you try the glazed beets? Maybe you had better luck! Generally one of my favorite things about FC is finding new ways of cooking vegetables-- they are usually so good, it could just be me! Also, I'm glad to hear you're feelling better-- I hope your husband is well too!

I am happy to report that the rum-raisin blondies are a big success! This is from the "Big Buy" article on brown sugar. My daughter is not a big raisin fan, so I split the batter in half, folded raisins into one half and butterscotch chips into the other half. I baked them in the same pan. The adults found the butterscotch chips too sweet, but (predictably), the kid loved that version. It would be great with chocolate chips too. The rum raisins were really tasty too. I might add some walnuts next time.

Looking forward to more reports...

Cheers, Jen

Pielove's picture

bacon...ham (post #71784, reply #16 of 32)

I still haven't tried the candied bacon, but ICD, every time I see that photo I vow to make it!

Continuing with the pork theme, I had a little leftover ham to use up-- and it was a bit dry and sad-- so I made the Country Ham relish (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/count...). Admittedly, this was a city ham, but the relish turned out great anyway. A great way to finish up that eternal ham! My mom sometimes makes a similar spread, which we call ham-and-pickle, so I was predisposed to like it! Made a great lunch!

Not sure what is next... maybe the fish sandwiches!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

So far so good (post #71784, reply #17 of 32)

Reporting in. 

This week I made the glazed carrots, the salmon with mustard and tarragon and the vegetable and chickpea curry.  I have to say that I am very happy with the salmon, that was yummy!!! no picture though :(

The carrots cooked before the glaze thickened so I removed the carrots from the glaze and allowed the glaze to continue to reduce.  Over all they were ok but not my top choice.

The chickpea curry was good but it needed something else for oomph.  I used 1/2 curry powder and 1/2 curry paste as I prefer the past to the powder. I used mild curry as I don't like spicy food, but after tasting it I added a bit of cayenne and that helped. I have left overs for lunch tomorrow, maybe sitting in the fridge for a couple of days will help also.

I didn't make the beets yet.

Thanks pie, I am feeling much better I had a bit of a stomach bug but that seems to have cleared up.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Chickpea_and_Vegetable_Curry.JPG
Chickpea_and_Vegetable_Curry.JPG2.33 MB
Glazed_Carrots.JPG
Glazed_Carrots.JPG2.49 MB
Pielove's picture

salmon... (post #71784, reply #18 of 32)

Hey kg!

Nice check-in and I'm glad you're feeling better! Great to hear that the salmon worked out well for you-- I love tarragon! Too bad about the carrots-- your experience fits with what I found with the beets and turnips.

I'm making an apple pie for pi day (3.14) today, so I might use the leftover dough for a quiche-- but otherwise, I may shelve this issue until I start getting radishes in my CSA box. Because I'm not buying any strange rice varieties until I finish up the wild rice I bought for some, now-forgotten recipe.

Looking forward to more reports though! Wish I had an excuse to make the roulades...

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

excuses, excuses (post #71784, reply #19 of 32)

oh, I didn't know about pi day until I saw FC's post on Facebook!! not that I would've had time to make a pie by the time I got home from work but anyhow.

I definitely want to try a few more things but I am totally with you about the rice.  The recipes look amazing and very interesting but I am not about to go hunt down all those varieties.  I doubt it that I could even find them locally.

I am trying to make up an excuse to make the carrot cake roulade!! let's see if I can manage something :)

Pielove's picture

spirals (post #71784, reply #20 of 32)

Ha, I was eyeing all three of those roulades-- they look great There's already pi day celebrating the circle, we need a holiday celebrating the Archimedian spiral!

I have my eye on the banana-pecan skillet crumble and the millionaire's bacon from the brown sugar recipe, plus a couple of Make it Tonight recipes. Plus maybe I will use one of the "normal rice" subs for the rice recipes-- a couple of the savory ones looked really good!

Looking forward to seeing what you're cooking up...

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

More to report (post #71784, reply #21 of 32)

I made the salmon again since it was soooo good and sooo easy to make.  And this time I made sure I took a picture. :)

I also made the beets.  I have never peeled beets before cooking, my mother always peeled them after cooking.  I have to say it is far easier to peel them before hand. And it is far less of a mess too! The flavour was good but I would say that over all the glazed vegetables are more work than they are worth.  The addition of the walnuts was very nice and gave things a nice crunch.

I also attempted to make the quiche. I am very disappointed to report that my pastry shrunk by about 40%.  The pastry was well at the rim and I followed the directions to the letter. So, I decided to make only 1/2 of the filling and I still had a bit of filling left which I then cooked in a ramekin.  I didn't want to have the pastry go to waste.  I was not happy to see all the foam at the edges when I took it out of the oven.  I am planning on having it for lunch tomorrow so I will report back as to the actual flavouring.  I will give the quiche another try but I will likely go back to my tried and true pastry.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Salmon again :)
Salmon again :)1.95 MB
Shrunken pastry
Shrunken pastry2.33 MB
foamy quiche
foamy quiche2.62 MB
glazed beets
glazed beets1.82 MB
Pielove's picture

foamy! (post #71784, reply #22 of 32)

So, how was the foamy quiche? Was it a buttery foam from the crust? It's too bad you had such crust problems! I was looking at the quiche recipe, but they lost me with the 8 egg yolks (!) although I bet it was good. Did you make something with the egg whites?

I use Mean Chef's master recipe for quiche sometimes:

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF...

Otherwise I have that salmon recipe on my list. I'm enjoying your pictures!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Report on quiche (post #71784, reply #24 of 32)

I think so, but I don't know.  The crust was good but I fear that by cooking it for a shorter time due to the reduced filling the pastry wasn't fully cooked at the bottom.  The quiche was really good, and the pastry around the edges was very good, the stuff under the filling was a bit soft.

I only ended up using 4 egg yolks so it wasn't too bad, I froze the 5 whites. I am planning on making this http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/chocolate-walnut-tweed-torte.aspx with the whites, I just haven't made it there yet...maybe this weekend.  Also, I have a potluck dinner this Friday so I am planning on makin the carrot cake roulade!!! stay tuned.

I like making quiche a lot, the only trouble is that it is a lot of food for just one person :), my friends don't mind as they end up with lunches during the week :D

Let me know how you like the salmon.

Minerva

Pielove's picture

Salmon! YUM! (post #71784, reply #28 of 32)

Hey kg, I finally made the salmon! My tarragon plant survived the winter outdoors and I was waiting for it to send up a few shoots before I made this recipe. I only had about 1 tsp tarragon, so I scaled the sauce way back. I only used about 2 Tbsp mayo, but there was plenty for a pound of salmon. Thank you for the recommendation, I really liked this dish. The sauce was subtle, but had a really lovely flavor and was a bit creamy-- a great combination. This will definitely go in my regular rotation!

Now I'm waiting for the next issue! Did you make your souffle?

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

so glad! (post #71784, reply #29 of 32)

I'm so glad you liked it.  I loved that recipe.  It is fancy enough for company and easy enough for a weeknight meal too.

Nope, no souffle yet :)  I'm a bit scared and haven't had the excuse either.

I need to do some planning this weekend to see what else is on my list to try.  Are you done with the issue now?

Pielove's picture

salmon (post #71784, reply #30 of 32)

I'm always happy to find a new salmon recipe, as it's one of our favorite fish. Check this out, I went to the recipe to add my review-- look at this review:

by Knitknut, 4/15/2013Have not tried it yet but it NEVER ceases to amaze me how someone can rate the recipe after having changed the ingredients!! Unfortunately I have to rate it regardless of the fact that I have not tried it...but it sounds good and I will base my rating on that.

Ha! Isn't that a ridiculous review?

Anyway, I am going to go back to the radish article in June, because our weekly box of vegetables generally includes a lot of radishes-- but around here we don't get radishes until June. Also, I'll probably go back to that chocolate roulade because it looks great and is gluten free. Otherwise, I am indeed done-- unless you come up with another must-try! Recipes from the next issue have started popping up on the website, so I am watching the mail for Issue 123!

I have been cooking a bit of Middle Eastern food lately-- I got the Jerusalem cookbook out of the library and it's very cool. I hope to hear more about your cooking too!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Huh?? (post #71784, reply #31 of 32)

say WHAT???!! that's the stupidest review EVER!!

I love salmon too so do share any good recipes.  I have high cholesterol and the dietician recommended (a long time ago) that I eat salmon twice per week and I try to stick to that almost religiously.

I just got my new issue last night so I haven't even opened it.  I have been so busy with work and feeling a bit uninspired in my cooking lately.  Hopefully the new issue will change this.

Do report back on the roulade, I only made the carrot one.

I have lots of egg whites now as I made ice cream last night for a friend...maybe the soufles will happen this time :)

Pielove's picture

fish (post #71784, reply #32 of 32)

Hey kg!

We love salmon here too. In the Make it Tonight section of the new issue, there is a recipe for halibut with this herb-oli-garlic-lemon sauce-- that would be really good with salmon. My husband and I just had our physicals and his cholesterol was borderline, so he can expect a lot more salmon in his diet too!

Good luck with the souffle-- you might as well try it now, as otherwise the egg whites will just go to waste! Which souffle are you going to make?

Cheers, Jen

peter01vekselman's picture

Fine-looking... (post #71784, reply #23 of 32)

That, my friend, is a fine-looking bacon.

kitchengoddess's picture

Roulade (post #71784, reply #25 of 32)

Well, I found an excuse and made the roulade! I had a potluck dinner and I decided to make it :)  It was absolutely delicious!  DH has agreed that the recipe is a keeper.  The cake was really moist and the filling was nice and creamy.  I loved all the spices in the cake.  I would definitely add finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the filling because it would be a great addition.

The rest of the guests were equally impressed.  And the recipe was easy to make.  Great instructions and I loved the photos.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Carrot_Roulade.JPG
Carrot_Roulade.JPG2.3 MB
Carrot_Roulade_1.JPG
Carrot_Roulade_1.JPG2.08 MB