NEW! Google Custom Search

Fine Cooking 121

Pielove's picture

Another new issue! And I had so much I wanted to cook from the previous issue-- I will have to get back to that cake. Anyway, I don't have any photos, but the spicy broiled chicken from the grill-under-your-broiler article was a big hit, although I had to increase the cooking times over what is in the recipe. For the barbecue sauce, I omitted the chipotle, in consideration of my spice-averse daughter, and used chili powder instead. The sauce was so good, we were licking the pan!

I also made the orange sherbert from the Big Buy: Oranges article-- that was good too. My daughter declared it the best ice cream she had ever had! It comes out light and a bit fluffy, with a nice orange-and-cream flavor. Next time I might add some vanilla for a more creamsicle-like flavor, or maybe some rum!

Lots of great stuff to try in this issue! I look forward to hearing about your cooking adventures!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Some pics (post #71772, reply #1 of 32)

Here are the pics of the recipes I have tried so far.

I am not a fan of green tea but still went ahead and made the salmon and jasmine rice infused with green tea.  From the name I expected that the green tea would be added to the cooking water, rather than at the end when serving. I had the green onions all ready but forgot to add them before the picture.  The recipe was really really good.  I made the carrot salad to go with it.  As you know I make all my lunches in advance so the carrots and onions sat in the vinaigrette for a few days, I would highly recommend it. The flavour was intense and it almost pickled the onions a little bit.

I also tried Ellie's cauliflower baked penne.  I got it past DH but not without suspicion.  To me the cauliflower taste is very obvious so don't think it can go by unnoticed.  I also added an extra 1/2 cup of milk approx before baking it and the pasta came out perfect. Overall it wasn't my favourite, I had to add extra things to make the sauce a bit more flavourful and I added extra cheese as well.

It was my b-day on Monday and although not an FC featured recipe I wanted to share a pic of my cake.  I didn't make it this year, my BFF did.  It was a chocolate chiffon cake.  It was delicious!!

That's all for now but I am sure I will have more pictures soon.

PS. Pie, the photo with the pasta...now THOSE are my pretty dishes :)

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG2.05 MB
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG2.82 MB
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG3.39 MB
Pielove's picture

Mmm, cake! (post #71772, reply #2 of 32)

Hey kg-- great cooking. I like the photos-- those are lovely dishes! The carrot salad is definitely on my list, as my husband is resistant to eating his veg-- novelty and spice both help. Also, I was eyeing the cauliflower pasta bake, but I don't know if it would fly in my house.

So, Happy Birthday! That cake looks great-- I stink at making chiffon cakes, so I'm envious. It's good to have a cake-baking friend!

I made the orange sherbert, which turned out well. Then I had some mulberry juice in the freezer-- we have a big, very productive tree and I was planning to make jelly but never got around to it. I used the mulberry juice in the same recipe and it was delicious-- liked amped-up raspberry:

The orange and mulberry together were better than either one alone. I like this sherbert recipe as it's mostly fruit juice with not as much cream as a real ice cream.

I also made the onion and ale soup-- just the soup part was good, but it kind of reminded me of the beer we use to poach bratwurst. But with the blue cheese croutons, it was great. The salty, funky cheese added a new dimension to the flavor, so it was much better. Next time I would make extra croutons just for nibbling.

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Good to try (post #71772, reply #3 of 32)

It would be good to try the pasta with less cauliflower and if you have a food mill maybe that would help, I'm not sure.  It was not favourite but it was ok.

The funny thing is that I am the cake baker of the 2 of us but she sure pulled out all the stops on this one and it was delish.  It has been a great many years since I have tried sherbert and I remember it being sickly sweet...but winter weather it is not at the top of my list of things to try...although it is going to be 11 degrees here tomorrow! can you imagine!! crazy!

Glad you liked the soup.  I am still not a fan of blue cheese.  I am getting to like stronger cheeses as I get older but blue cheese is still not on that list.  

Keep cooking :)

Minerva

Pielove's picture

More cooking (post #71772, reply #4 of 32)

Hey, you should try the sherbert, as this recipe is not too sweet-- it's very good.

Well, I tried the pierogi recipe today and was disappointed. My family makes pierogies often, so I imagine it was like you felt with the pozole recipe-- okay, but not quite right. My daughter prefers the sauerkraut pierogies, so I made those-- with no mushrooms. The filling was quite good, with just the right amount of tang, a good amount of buttery richness, and a little sweetness from the onions. I made two batches of dough, one from my family's recipe and one from the FC recipe:

The Fine Cooking recipe was very similar to "my" recipe, except that my recipe has salt and an egg. You can easily see which dough has the egg, here are the two side by side:

The FC dough handled well and was nicely tender, but to my taste it really needed salt. Also, we like to boil our pierogies and then crisp them in butter-- I think the egg also helped the pierogies to brown.

The difference wasn't huge, but it was noticeable. Here's my recipe (except I use melted butter instead of the oil:

http://www.food.com/recipe/pierogi-dough...

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Thank you for sharing (post #71772, reply #6 of 32)

Thanks for sharing your recipe pie.  These days I don't think I could find the time to invest in pierogis.  We (DH and I) used to eat them back in the day (when we were students and on a very tight budget), but I don't believe I have ever had homemade ones.  I don't know if it would be worth it just to hear "I liked the frozen ones better" :P

And FYI DH has had left over pasta TWICE!!! oh poor soul he doesn't even know he is eating cauliflower ::grining::

Will report back if I try the sherbert in the spring/summer.

Pielove's picture

Cauliflower (post #71772, reply #8 of 32)

Hey kg!

Hmm, so the pasta did camoflage the cauliflower? I'm still dubious about trying it on my kid-- those perceptive kiddie tastebuds!

I agree about making pierogies-- it's a total pain in the butt and I've made them dozens of times, so I'm maybe a little efficient. On my husband's side, nobody even bothers with homemade any more.

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Cauliflower (post #71772, reply #13 of 32)

Surprisingly DH like the cauliflower mac n' cheese more than I did...I guess I'll have to make it again for him.

MarrieAnn's picture

Onion soup is one of my (post #71772, reply #16 of 32)

Onion soup is one of my favourite, looks great!

plantlust's picture

Botanical names PLEASE (post #71772, reply #5 of 32)

Already found a lot of things that I want to try in this issue (YEAH! Pierogies, the stews, the salads WOW, carbonara, souffle sauces, onion rings(singing melodically), want that kitchen and some of the Great Finds).

That being said, I was also intrigued by the Yuca article, however, nowhere in the article does it give the botanical name of the plant.  Here in the wilds of Chicago's 'burbs, I can grow a plant whose common name is Yucca (pronounced yuk-ah) or Adam's Needle.  It has large tallish spiky leaves and sends up a shoot of creamy, off-white bell-shaped flowers.  I believe (ground is frozen currently, so I'm not able to verify) the roots look similar to the "yuca" of your article.

Before I experiment with potential death, can you please tell me if the "yuca" plant is the same as Yucca filimentosa?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Pielove's picture

Latin names (post #71772, reply #7 of 32)

Plantlust! Great to "see" you over here.

I don't think the yucca plants are the same as culinary yuca. My understanding is that culinary yuca roots are cassava, Manihot esculenta. Good thing-- I don't know how you fared in the suburbs, but on the N-W side, it's kind of icy for digging up the garden! I would love to see scientific names-- that would be cool!  "Journal style is to give the Latin name for each species at first mention in the Ingredients list and recipe directions".

Are you going to try the yuca fries? All the recipes look great-- the stew is next on my list, I just can't decide between classic beef and Asian pork.

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Tried the pork (post #71772, reply #9 of 32)

I tried the pork, just didn't take a picture.  It was really good! It was simple, easy and yummy! I didn't have with rice but was thinking that jasmine rice would actually go really well with it.

Any other adventures anyone?

Pielove's picture

pork (post #71772, reply #10 of 32)

Hey kg! Not much cooking here, but it's really cold, so that pork sounds good! Thanks for the inspiration.

I did make a great bacon-wrapped scallop appetizer this weekend, but not from Fine Cooking!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

hmmm, scallops! (post #71772, reply #11 of 32)

It has been a long time since I had scallops! yum! 

I made the mushroom soup this weekend for a potluck with friends.  It was really good.  I didn't have creme fraiche so I used a small dollop of sour cream.  I loved the addition of the sherry.

You can make that if it is cold too.  Also made the sloppy joes, just hoping to get a picture of them all assembled :)

PreviewAttachmentSize
Mushroom_Soup.jpg
Mushroom_Soup.jpg55.12 KB
Pielove's picture

soup, etc. (post #71772, reply #14 of 32)

Hey kg and ICD!

The mushroom soup and the okra cakes both look great. The soup was on my list, but I ended up buying the ingredients, then improvising a basic cream of mushroom soup-- sherry would have been a good addition.

I did make one of the veggie ribbon salads-- the "spicy carrot" one. It was great-- crunchy, with the sweetness of the carrots balanced by lime juice. However, it's not particularly spicy with just 1/4 tsp pepper flakes. Still delicious.

Also, even though I love the look of the veggie ribbons, I really hate making them-- it takes forever, and I always end up nicking my fingers. So, I just shredded the carrots in the food processor-- still great, but a lot less work!

Happy cooking-- keep it up ladies, you are an inspiration!

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Not from 121 but good recipe for corncakes (post #71772, reply #12 of 32)

I wanted something different to go with shrimp last night recalled cornmeal cakes from FC, funny I have her book and never made them before.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/okra-cornmeal-cakes.aspx

kitchengoddess's picture

great lunch (post #71772, reply #15 of 32)

Made the turkey sloppy joes for a lunch with a girlfriend.  I forgot my camera and so she took it with her phone, therefore the not so great quality.  These were really good! I added spinach to the mine just as I was assembling them. I would definitely make them again.  They were really easy to make and very yummy.

Oh those okra corn cakes do look good. I am hungry now!! :)

PreviewAttachmentSize
Turkey_sloppy_joes.jpg
Turkey_sloppy_joes.jpg307.67 KB
Pielove's picture

lunch (post #71772, reply #17 of 32)

kg, those sloppy joes look good-- I like the slaw too!

I'm defrosting a chuck roast to make one of the beef stew variants, a simple Irish version with Guinness. We visited Ireland for our honeymoon and had a delicious beef stew that my husband stil talks about. Since it's finally something like winter around here (snow!), a good, hearty stew would be perfect. Maybe even a nice soda bread....

Hope you are staying warm and cooking up some good stuff!

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Irish soda bread and stew (post #71772, reply #18 of 32)

I am going to try the soda bread recipe to see if I prefer it over another that I normally make for St. Paddy's Day so I'll leave some notes here when make it. 

Now for the stews and my best effort and success lately has been a stew version of Osso Buco, you can use a good stew beef or veal stew meat.  I can never find shanks around here (I'm going to check with a chef friend to see if he can still order them), but in the mean time, the stew has all the goodness of Osso Buco and still a one pot meal.  I made it several months back and DD missed that dinner so I made it for her last week and she thoroughly enjoyed it.  A couple of additions, pearl onions, and some baby brown mushrooms really made it a great stew.

Sorry about not having a finished stew photo and the grainy photo is from a cell phone. 

PreviewAttachmentSize
Osso_buco_1.JPG
Osso_buco_1.JPG39.59 KB
kitchengoddess's picture

Stew and Pound Cake (post #71772, reply #19 of 32)

I made the beef stew with beef, mushroom, potatoes, red peppers, red wine, rosemary and orange peel.  I used red wine for deglazing the pan.  It was a huge hit with friends and I have to say it was really nice and tender.  I would add less meat next time (even 1/2 of the amount called for).  

The orange glazed pound cake was really good but I am disapointed that it went stale rather quickly (day 2).  I added extra orange juice to the mix in error (almost 1/4 C) but it worked out well.  Sorry for the bad dark pic but that is what happens when you bake at night :(

PreviewAttachmentSize
Beef_Stew.JPG
Beef_Stew.JPG1.64 MB
Orange_Pound_Cake.JPG
Orange_Pound_Cake.JPG2.55 MB
Pielove's picture

stew too! (post #71772, reply #20 of 32)

Hey, I made the beef stew too-- mine was Irish style with Guinness, parsnips, onions, carrots and turnips. I froze some, so I didn't put in potatoes. It was delicious-- nice and tender, plus such good "gravy". I was surprised that there was no flower thickening and I thought I might miss it, but it was really good without. Both of you made some lovely stews too-- I agree that you could use even less meat-- or up the amount of veg (and I used the full 6c of veg).

I also made the soda bread-- it was perfect with the stew and so easy. Too bad the pound cake went stale-- time for trifle? I'm thinking about bread pudding for stale soda bread!

Cheers, Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Ohhhh, baking (post #71772, reply #23 of 32)

I so want to try the irish Soda Bread but I need to choose a day when I'm home and right now it isn't looking good.  We get Monday Feb 18th off as a family day so maybe if I get some time I can make it then.

There isn't enough cake left for trifle! HA! I had taken 1/2 the loaf to work so that almost took care of it and then between DH and I have polished off most of the second half except for a small slice....so maybe toasted with some plum jam, yum!

I made the pasta frittata so I'll have to post a picture soon.

Pielove's picture

shaved salads (post #71772, reply #21 of 32)

Has either of you (or anyone?) tried the shaved salads? I did the carrot salad with shredded carrot, and tonight we had the turnip salad. I can't really review the recipe as listed becuase I had to mess with it quite a bit. I used my Benriner (cheap Japanese mandoline) instead of shaving-- then I coudn't find the scallions, so I used red onions. Still it was a great salad-- never would have thought of using raw turnips, but they were excellent-- crispy and a little peppery. Since I wasn't follwing the recipe, I added some lemon juice and zest. Great salads!

Cheers, Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Shaved salads (post #71772, reply #22 of 32)

I haven't made one from this issue, but I have made a zucchini and yellow squash ribbon salad before and my favorite was a grilled zucchini ribbon salad (Michael Chiarello). 

I'll have to take another look once I go shopping for vegetables this week. 

schnitzel's picture

Make It Tonight recipe... (post #71772, reply #24 of 32)

The Pernil-Style Pork Tenderloin was very good. I will definitely make it again.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/perni...

Pielove's picture

tenderloin (post #71772, reply #25 of 32)

Hi Amy, thanks for the recommendation-- I saw that recipe, and it looks good. I'm working through a half-pig meat order, so I don't have any tenderloin-- do you think it would work with chops?

Cheers, Jen

schnitzel's picture

Hi Jen (post #71772, reply #26 of 32)

I don't see why not. Adjust accordingly, watch the temperature, etc. The flavoring paste is quite tasty. Good luck!

schnitzel's picture

Tonight's delight (post #71772, reply #27 of 32)

Miso-Glazed Salmon with Green Tea Rice was delicious!
(sorry, photo is a bit dark)

Accompanied by haricots verts.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/miso-...

PreviewAttachmentSize
Miso-Glazed_Salmon_with_Green_Tea_Rice.jpg
Miso-Glazed_Salmon_with_Green_Tea_Rice.jpg232.64 KB
kitchengoddess's picture

It was very good, wasn't it? (post #71772, reply #28 of 32)

Good to see you back Amy! we didn't interact much back in the day but I always appreciated the wisdom of your posts.

Wasn't that Salmon yummy?

schnitzel's picture

Hi kitchengoddess... (post #71772, reply #30 of 32)

The salmon was a big hit!  DH was impressed.

Last night I made the Turkey Sloppy Joes with Hoisin and Cilantro, very good, like the Asian twist.
To my taste, I added more chile powder and chile flakes to the recipe.

Made the Spicy Carrot Ribbon Salad to accompany, also well received.

Earlier in the day I made some lovely sesame-topped buns for the sloppy joes. 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/turke...

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/spicy...

PreviewAttachmentSize
turkey_sloppy_joes_.jpg
turkey_sloppy_joes_.jpg230.9 KB
kitchengoddess's picture

Wow, home made buns (post #71772, reply #31 of 32)

Yeah, I really liked the sloppy joes too.  Wow, your buns look beautiful.  

Bon Apetit!