NEW! Google Custom Search

Fine Cooking 115

Pielove's picture

Okay, I haven't received this issue yet, but I noticed this enticing-looking raisin bread on the website and just had to give it a try-- then I see that the recipe is from the next issue!

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/cinnamon-swirl-raisin-bread.aspx

I love raisin bread and this one is really good-- I substituted in 1 cup of whole wheat flour to health it up a little.  I also used about 1/3 the amount of cinnamon-- the recipe calls for 6 Tablespoons of cinnamon for 2 loaves of bread, holy cats, that is more that 1/3 cup!  I only used 1 or 2 T in the filling and that was more than plenty.  Also, I didn't get as good of a spiral-- I was in a bit of a rush and didn't make it thin enough!

Looking forward to the new issue...

Jen

Pielove's picture

butter beans (post #71591, reply #1 of 22)

Okay, I am definitely making the raisin bread again.

I also made the butter beans from the "new beans" article, but I didn't do a good job-- I seem to be incapable of getting beans cooked right.  I did the beans in the crockpot, thinking that it would keep me from overcooking them, but just as the beans were getting tender, I had to take the kid to her swim lesson.  I turned them way down, but they were already overcooked when I got back.  Once I added the sauce and cooked it down a bit more, the beans were really mushy, alas.  

I have another pound of beans, but I can't say the recipe wowed me, even mentally factoring in my bad job cooking the beans.  My in-laws make this awesome butter bean dish for Xmas eve-- I might have to try that.  Next stop is the cranberry bean and salmon salad-- I have a big hunk of smoked salmon that would be awesome in that.

Anyone else cooking from 115?  Make the raisin bread, it rocks!

Jen

carol1945's picture

not yet (post #71591, reply #2 of 22)

Have not started 115, but did read it cover to cover, and love the magazine. I have had failures with beans with no matter how long I cooked them, they stayed hard. Now I find out from this article, that you cannot keep beans forever. I had no idea they get old, but evidently like us, they do.  That explains why they never softened up.  I am dying to try many recipes in this issue.  Has anyone ever used a microplane and have any suggestions for it?  I was using it for lemons and I could see two ways to use it. I was scared to hurt myself with it.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Beans and Microplane (post #71591, reply #3 of 22)

I know that I have old beans in the pantry, better do some cleaning out.  As for the microplane, I have one and as you mentioned good for lemon and lime zest and I also grate cheese with it most of the time, but I've used it for chocolate, fresh ginger, and garlic.  I'm sure that I have used it on other foods though.  Oh yea, I can never find the nutmeg grater so nutmeg is another. 

Here is a link from NYTimes http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/dining/12united.html?pagewanted=all

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Issue 115 (post #71591, reply #4 of 22)

Okay, I'm thinking that is the issue that I just pulled the citrus chicken recipe from and I loved it, tomorrow I will report back.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Citrus Chicken (post #71591, reply #5 of 22)

I have to say that I really enjoyed the citrus chicken from issue 115, very refreshing and while I like the suggested recipes for leftovers, I was thinking of chicken tacos and DH suggested quesadillas.  Since I didn't roast two chickens I won't have a ton of chicken to deal with for two people.  I did make all of the marinade so I have a fair amount of sauce left. 

I did use  a bottled Ponzu sauce for part of the soy sauce amounts which lightened the soy aspect of the marinade.  This time of year we get Cara Cara oranges which are such a lovely color and very sweet, if you can find them they are perfect for this dish.  Big thumbs up for this recipe and I'll get back with a leftover recipe tomorrow.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Citrus_Chicken_4.jpg
Citrus_Chicken_4.jpg69.68 KB
Citrus_Chicken_FC2.jpg
Citrus_Chicken_FC2.jpg200.15 KB
GretchenTHEFIRST's picture

You should make Mean Chef's (post #71591, reply #7 of 22)

You should make Mean Chef's ponzu sauce. It is SO good, and bears NO resemblance to bottled ponzu.

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Beef Stroganoff (post #71591, reply #6 of 22)

So I made the stroganoff, but as usual strayed from the printed recipe.  My additions to the sauce were Dijon mustard and Coleman's mustard, a little paprika to add to the sauce.  I added a touch of Worcestershire and brandy to deglaze the mushrooms.  I marinated the beef slices for an hour or two in 1/4 cup white wine, fresh thyme and two bay leaves, salt, pepper, 2 cloves garlic minced, sliced onions, and 1 sliced carrot, removing herbs and carrots before sauteing.  I had other beef scraps that I sauteed then simmered in 3 cups beef broth and 1 cup white wine, reduced to 1-1/2 cups and strained.

My dinner was delicious

PreviewAttachmentSize
Stroganoff3.jpg
Stroganoff3.jpg214.73 KB
Stroganoff_Mushrooms.jpg
Stroganoff_Mushrooms.jpg130.64 KB
Stroganoff_marinade.jpg
Stroganoff_marinade.jpg126.41 KB
carol1945's picture

Thank you (post #71591, reply #8 of 22)

I am so glad people are posting here, but I do not get a notice in my email saying there is a new post for CooksTalk.  Instead I have to seek out the site, which is another step that I often forget.  I made the german chocolate cake from #114 and it  was fantastic. Now I am going to try the little cakes from the same issue for my daughters birthday. I even bought the half moon molds. Hard to find, found them on Amazon.

kitchengoddess's picture

Look at the box below the comments (post #71591, reply #9 of 22)

Hi Carol1945, if you look at the box below the comment when you are replying you can choose to be notified should you want to.  I for one am glad that it is optional...

kitchengoddess's picture

Do these belong here? (post #71591, reply #10 of 22)

Not sure if these recipes belong here but I am posting them here for convenience and to keep a single thread for the conversation.  I hope this doesn't offend anyone.  Here are a few recipes I have tried in the past 3 weeks or so.

I made the beef strogannoff.  I have never had it nor never made it before so I wasn't sure what to expect.  It was good but it needed a little extra something.  Maybe next time I'll follow pie's steps and deglaze the pan with sherry or use a better cut of beef.

I also made the ginger pear muffins from the holiday baking special issue.  Boy those were YUMMY!  As usual I tinkered with the recipe and reduced the fat and the sugar.  I didn't get a change to photograph the ones that we iced as they flew!

The stuffed sweet potatoes were really good.  I usually prefer sweet potatoes in a soups or stews and don't really like them roasted and I was a little hesitant to try this recipe.  I bought spicy instead of sweet sausage and the spiciness contrasted really well against the sweetness of the potatoes. I would definitely make this again.

Also after the holidays were over and I still had some turkey in the freezer I made these turkey croquettes from the recipe on the website. I found the mix a little too soft to work with and I am wondering if I might've mis-measured somewhere along the way.  I formed the patties and froze them for about 1hr. I then fried them from frozen which made them much easier to handle and cook.  I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for what to do with leftover turkey or chicken.

Voilá I have finally caught up with uploading the few photos I had.  I keep forgetting sometimes to take pictures :(

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Fine Cooking 115 (post #71591, reply #11 of 22)

Maybe someone can come along and reorganize for us???  I posted comments about "Beef Stroganoff" listed below in this discussion with some possible cures for your "little extra something".  I have a few steps along the way that certainly boost the flavor of the stroganoff, but take a look around at Chef recipes to get an idea of what might be added to boost the flavor.  The simple brandied mushrooms step that I do adds another layer of flavor to the dish. 

PreviewAttachmentSize
Stroganoff3.jpg
Stroganoff3.jpg214.73 KB
kitchengoddess's picture

oops (post #71591, reply #12 of 22)

I meant to reference your post, not pie's...oops.  I did see your comments and definitely will try that when I make it next time. :)

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Issue 115 (post #71591, reply #13 of 22)

You've been busy...Well, I'll stay here to add to the 115 magazine recipe responses.  Those sweet potatoes look wonderful and sounds like something that I can make to go with some leftover game hens pieces.  I'll have to take a look at the recipe.   

Pielove's picture

sweet potatoes (post #71591, reply #14 of 22)

Hey kitchengoddess, those all look great!   The sweet potatoes look really good-- I bought some sweets with the best of intentions, but got busy and ended up shredding them for iguana food!  I am in such a cooking rut, but I got issues 114 and 115 out and will pick something!  My freelance editing work got crazy-busy, so I have been in survival mode-- plus it has been so nice and warm in Chicago, we have been playing outside rather than cooking inside.  Excuses!

I did whip up a batch of the raisin bread again-- Josie/2house was talking about it in the "Feedback on Fine Cooking" folder.  I'm going to bake the bread tomorrow-- serious aromatherapy.  Speaking of which, I also made another batch of pork and sausage ragu from FC #113 for Valentine's day-- that is good stuff.

Okay, I am off to browse the mags for some inspiration-- otherwise it's rice and beans tomorrow (not that r&B would be a bad thing!).  Anyone else cooking these days?

Cheers, Jen

Pielove's picture

cabbage (post #71591, reply #15 of 22)

I made the Indian-spiced cabbage from 115, the Big Buy section-- it was really good.  Cabbage is so cheap here-- it is nice to have a little different way to make it.

Cheers, Jen

Edited to add a photo:

This was really tasty-- I think I ate about 1/3 of a big cabbage, just by myself.  I did have some leftovers, so in a fit of inspiration (or perhaps desperation), I mixed the cabbage with some leftover beets and some chicken broth for an impromptu curried borscht.  It was delicious!

Little photo!

Pielove's picture

Niech dobrym czasom! (post #71591, reply #16 of 22)

Or, "Let the good times roll!".  I made the rice and beans from the "New Beans on the Block" article for Mardi Gras-- it was a fine version, nothing remarkable.  No andouille here, I used kielbasa-- and had Polish beer too-- this is Chicago, not Nola, after all.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Jen

ICDOCEAN1's picture

Beans (post #71591, reply #18 of 22)

I really wanted to try red beans and rice among other things for Fat Tuesday, but I ran into that "pepper weinies" recipe and ended up making them with big fat Hebrew National hot dogs, the quarter pounder size.  I never had any luck locating dried butter beans (a staple in the south) imagine that...Been really busy around here so I haven't been into the FC issues, when company leaves perhaps.

Pielove's picture

chocolate pudding (post #71591, reply #17 of 22)

...and the Milk Chocolate Pudding from the quick chocolate desserts article:

I used half the amount of cocoa and chocolate, as the kid does not like things too chocolatey.  It was still mighty choco-rific, with a nice, smooth, creamy texture.  Pudding-- how can you go wrong?

Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

lovely (post #71591, reply #19 of 22)

I love the drips on the cups. It makes it look extra sumptuous.

Pielove's picture

drips (post #71591, reply #20 of 22)

Hey kitchengoddess, good to "see" you and thanks-- ha, it is good when my general sloppiness turns out to be an advantage!

Jen

kitchengoddess's picture

Dang work (post #71591, reply #21 of 22)

Yeah, work and life keep getting in the way of me keeping up in here.  Will try to stay in touch :)

Pielove's picture

and more chocolate.... (post #71591, reply #22 of 22)

Made the Warm Chocolate Stout Brownies also from the quick chocolate desserts:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/warm-chocolate-stout-brownie-sundaes.aspx

Devoured!  My only tip-- the recipe yields 6 brownie cupcakes, and just double it, you will be glad.  I was in a hurry, so I served them with just whipped cream and Hershey's chocolate sauce.  The cake was light, moist, and not too sweet-- but not bitter either.  Very tasty and quite fast. 

Jen

P.S. I lied, I have another tip-- I made the batter and fillled the muffin cups, then stored this in the 'fridge, popped them into the oven during dinner, and they were perfect for dessert.