NEW! Google Custom Search

Favorite Recipe of 2008

butterscotch's picture

I made the soup recipe below a couple of months ago and was blown away by how delicious and pretty it is--definitely the best thing I made all year.  Please post your own favorite recipe from last year.

Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Soup

3 red bell peppers ( 1 1/2 lbs. total), rinsed, stemmed seeded and halved

3 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion (7 oz.), peeled and chopped

2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1 28-oz. can whole plum tomatoes

1 Tbsp. smoked paprika

3 cups vegetable broth or fat-skimmed chicken broth

2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper

creme fraiche or plain yogurt

1.   Broil red pepper halves, cut side down, until skins are black and blistered, about 8 minutes.  Cool, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.  Peel peppers and place in a bowl, reserving any juice. (I prefer to roast the peppers at 400 degrees until soft.)

2.  Saute onion in olive oil in a 3-4 qt. pan over medium heat, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and stir until translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add roasted peppers and tomatoes, along with their juices, and paprika.  Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.

3.  In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in small batches until smooth. Return puree to pan and stir in broth and lemon juice.  Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt.

whatscooking's picture

(post #36911, reply #64 of 88)

I posted the recipe on my blog (giving you credit as the source) I hope that's OK. :)

http://theoutdatedkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/fast-forward-to-spicy-shrimp.html

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne” Bette Davis.

http://theoutdatedkitchen.blogspot.com/

Chicago-style deep-dish:  "Pizza for people who just aren't fat enough"
Anthony Bourdain
http://theoutdatedkitchen.blogspot.com/

SuB's picture

(post #36911, reply #83 of 88)

Wow, that is incredibly flattering.  Of course it's okay.  I really can't take credit for the recipe, it's originally from Gourmet though I tweaked it a bit.  I'm just so pleased that everyone is enjoying it.

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

Edited 1/15/2009 3:06 am by SuB

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

kathymcmo's picture

(post #36911, reply #68 of 88)

And it usually comes in large bottles, one may last a lifetime because a little goes a long way (depending on one's age.)

It is quite good though.

shar999's picture

(post #36911, reply #69 of 88)

Not true.  We go through a bottle in about 4 months.  You'll find yourself using it more and more.

kathymcmo's picture

(post #36911, reply #71 of 88)

I stand in awe!

I am just one person, and I do use it pretty frequently, but I have 4/5 of it left. I think I bought it 3 or more years ago. I guess I am a hot sauce wuss. (Or maybe it's partly because I have so many hot sauces to choose from in my pantry, don't always reach for that one).

MadMom's picture

(post #36911, reply #72 of 88)

One should be a Texan married to a man who thinks black pepper is a "hot spice" - next, he'll be telling me to cut back on the salt (we don't even have a salt shaker on the table.)

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

kathymcmo's picture

(post #36911, reply #73 of 88)

LOL, you would probably be able to bequeath your bottle of hot sauce to your heirs along with your parchment paper.

MadMom's picture

(post #36911, reply #74 of 88)

Yeah, I have one of those miniature MRE-size bottles of Tabasco sauce which I've never dared use...my heirs will get that, along with the parchment paper and whatever is left from my 2250 feet of plastic wrap (I got rid of 750 feet of it!)

Not One More Day!

Marie Louise's picture

(post #36911, reply #76 of 88)

LOL, I look at my box of parchment and think, I should have started younger...

Jillsifer's picture

(post #36911, reply #78 of 88)

my heirs will get that, along with the parchment paper and whatever is left from my 2250 feet of plastic wrap

Good LORD, girl. Hoard much?

(I have NO ROOM to yank your chain. When the worldwide shortages of cobalt-blue ribbon and Halloween fabric finally come upon us, I will be prepared! Those items are not measured in yards at my house, but in miles. The Halloween fabric I understand; it's my favorite obsession. But I have NO IDEA what I ever thought I was going to do with all that cobalt-blue ribbon!)

January: the dead zone

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

MadMom's picture

(post #36911, reply #81 of 88)

But I have NO IDEA what I ever thought I was going to do with all that cobalt-blue ribbon!

Tie a ribbon on my present, perhaps?  LOL!  Go back to the larger font, girl.  I don't know who was complaining, but it never seemed large to me, and this one is really small.  I have nose smudges on my monitor from trying to read it.

Not One More Day!

soupereasy's picture

(post #36911, reply #75 of 88)

4 months? wow, I have had my bottle for years!:)

suz's picture

(post #36911, reply #70 of 88)

My bottle is quite large 20.1 oz for $2.50.  It may outlast me!

Carolepip's picture

(post #36911, reply #63 of 88)

I have been able to find the Sriracha chile sauce supermarket here in NYC (Queens actually), but I suspect it might be because we are such an ethnically diverse place.  It was in the international foods section of my Shop & Shop.  I had never heard or used it until about a year ago as it seems to be popping up in recipes all over the place.  And it is a BRAND.  Good luck.

Jean's picture

(post #36911, reply #66 of 88)

You know you can just copy and paste??

14074<br />

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
wonka's picture

(post #36911, reply #67 of 88)

I'm still learning, lol. I'll try that next time.

bonnieruth's picture

(post #36911, reply #77 of 88)

Thank you for the link! Hey, if it is Rooster sauce, it is readily available in our Asian markets. I may even have a bottle already.

courgette's picture

(post #36911, reply #79 of 88)

Did you know that the Rooster hot sauce that is ubiquitous to Thai and Vietnamese restaurants was created in California by a man who came as one of the Vietnamese Boatpeople in the 80's? 

I saw his story on TV... Might have been food network. Very interesting and a great immigrant success story.

Mo

Jillsifer's picture

(post #36911, reply #80 of 88)

the Rooster hot sauce that is ubiquitous to Thai and Vietnamese restaurants was created in California

Yup. It originated in . . . like . . . San Gabriel, didn't it? (I think their address is there now, at least.)

January: the dead zone

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

Risottogirl's picture

(post #36911, reply #82 of 88)

Yep, they came here first, to New England, possibly even Massachusetts (can't remember) and then realized they couldn't grow the chilis very well in our short season.

Didn't FC feature them on the back cover once? Back in the old days before it had a recipe or an ad :)

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Heather's picture

(post #36911, reply #50 of 88)

One that is very simple and humble but has become my default recipe is the honey-roasted applesauce from Michael Chiarello. It's the best applesauce I've ever eaten.

Honey-Roasted Applesauce:
12 apples, Gravenstein or McIntosh 4-5 pounds total
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons sweet butter
1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt, preferably gray salt
1/3 cup honey

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Quarter and core the apples, then peel and cut into 1-inch chunks. As each apple is ready, place it in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
Heat a large oven-proof sauté pan on medium-high heat, add the butter. When the butter begins to brown add the apples and salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the edges just begin to color. Add the honey, mix in well, and move the pan to the oven. Bake the apples until they are soft and lightly caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
Mash with a fork for a chunky version, or put in food processor for a smoother sauce. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.

(It's best warm IMHO)

butterscotch's picture

(post #36911, reply #51 of 88)

Wow, this sounds fantastic, Heather.  I'm going to try it for sure as I have applesauce cravings this winter and have already made several batches.  Is the finished dish very sweet?

Heather's picture

(post #36911, reply #52 of 88)

No it's not too sweet, but I vary the amount of honey depending on the sweetness of the apples.

brett_ashley's picture

(post #36911, reply #53 of 88)

This thread is awesome! Let's keep it going! I'll be back later with a real recipe but my December was definitely dominated with white chocolate popcorn. I'm a sucker for the sweet&salty and it is so easy and good. I added whatever I had on hand: m&ms, almonds, dried cranberries, then tossed it all with some popped corn in a bowl of melted chocolate, then spread it out on some parchment to harden.

Not really a recipe but it sure made my day again today!

kodiakid's picture

(post #36911, reply #56 of 88)

These Asian Glazed Braised Short Ribs are fabulous!

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/asian-glazed-braised-short-ribs.aspx

RheaS's picture

(post #36911, reply #57 of 88)

It's hard to choose just one, but the one that stands out for me the most at the moment is the Savory Baklava from Tried and True. One just finished baking and I'm making another one on Sunday. I never get to eat much because I've brought it to parties, so I'm seriously considering making a whole one just for me.

Adele's picture

(post #36911, reply #58 of 88)

It also freezes well if you are doing it just for you.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!