NEW! Google Custom Search

butterscotch's picture

I made the soup recipe below a couple of months ago and was blown away by how delicious and pretty it is--definitely the best thing I made all year.  Please post your own favorite recipe from last year.

Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Soup

3 red bell peppers ( 1 1/2 lbs. total), rinsed, stemmed seeded and halved

3 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion (7 oz.), peeled and chopped

2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1 28-oz. can whole plum tomatoes

1 Tbsp. smoked paprika

3 cups vegetable broth or fat-skimmed chicken broth

2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper

creme fraiche or plain yogurt

1.   Broil red pepper halves, cut side down, until skins are black and blistered, about 8 minutes.  Cool, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.  Peel peppers and place in a bowl, reserving any juice. (I prefer to roast the peppers at 400 degrees until soft.)

2.  Saute onion in olive oil in a 3-4 qt. pan over medium heat, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and stir until translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add roasted peppers and tomatoes, along with their juices, and paprika.  Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.

3.  In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in small batches until smooth. Return puree to pan and stir in broth and lemon juice.  Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt.

nutcakes's picture

(post #36911, reply #37 of 88)

Thanks, sounds soooo good. I am loving this thread! It's great to have a bunch of new ideas in one place.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #36911, reply #25 of 88)

I will have to second that too......

made it countless times, it is soooo good, sometimes I regret having to make the salad to enjoy it, could just drink it up

FL.Cook's picture

(post #36911, reply #3 of 88)

This is also another wonderful tomato soup.

Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 onion, peeled and chopped

• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped

• 2 cloves garlic, chopped

• 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white) beans, drained and rinsed

• 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

• 3 cups chicken broth

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, plus 1 teaspoon, minced

• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

• 3/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• 2/3 cup creme fraiche (used sour cream)

• Zest of one lemon

Directions

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.

Puree the soup in a blender in batches, being careful to remove and discard the bay leaf. Return the soup to a soup pot and keep warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl fold in the lemon zest and the remaining teaspoon of rosemary to 2/3 cup creme fraiche. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and dollop each bowl with the lemon rosemary creme fraiche. Serve immediately.

Plus a Pumpkin soup, which for the life of me I can't find in my computer files.  I will keep looking and post when I find it!!

Carole
butterscotch's picture

(post #36911, reply #8 of 88)

Your tomato soup looks wonderful--planning to try it soon.

FL.Cook's picture

(post #36911, reply #11 of 88)

It is, and I'm planning on trying yours.  At least, I think that it is yours!!!  Sorry, it has been one of those days!!  Not only that, I am so off of the day of the week.  I don't know about anyone else, but I thought NYE was Sat night, NYD was Sunday, and all day today I kept thinking that it was Momday!!  Thank goodness I will be back on schedule next week!!

Carole
FL.Cook's picture

(post #36911, reply #12 of 88)

I found the Pumpkin soup!  It is sooo good!  http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1648,153185-252202,00.html

Let me know if I'm getting carried away, but I just made two batches of the A Brownie by any other name from Arthur's Flour.  The first batch I made with the choc. chips and the kiss in the middle, for a party yesterday.  Way too sweet for me.  Today I made them without the chips and kiss, and I love them.. They just melt in your mouth.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2008/05/18/a-brownie-by-any-other-name/

Edited 1/2/2009 8:10 pm ET by FL.Cook

Carole
LuciaK's picture

(post #36911, reply #13 of 88)

I discovered tomato gravy this summer. The recipe is in "Gift of Southern Cooking" by Peacock and Lewis, and I used heirloom tomatoes from the CSA. Such a simple, humble thing, but without a doubt, the best of 2008 for me. The recipe is posted on my blog.

Minivan Mom. Fueled by Caffeine.

www.acookandherbooks.blogspot.com

Minivan Mom. Fueled by Caffeine.

www.acookandherbooks.blogspot.com

teebee's picture

(post #36911, reply #14 of 88)

I am so trying this recipe. I bought some red peppers intending to roast them, but wasn't sure what I was going to do after that. Now I know! I have also been in a soup mood--wonder if it has anything to do with the nasty weather? I'm tired of Alberta Clippers, Nor'easters, and lake effect snow. Any reason to turn on the oven is a good one!

butterscotch's picture

(post #36911, reply #15 of 88)

I think the soup will suit your mood--it's great cold weather food.

teebee's picture

(post #36911, reply #84 of 88)

I have made the roasted red pepper soup twice now. It is so good! If I make a batch, I just reheat it to have with a sandwich. I don't know if I will be able to eat any other tomato soup from now on. Thanks so much for the recipe.

bonnieruth's picture

(post #36911, reply #85 of 88)

I made the roasted red pepper & tomato soup, too.  It may be my particular brand of smoked paprika, but by the 2nd day, it had become so hot that I couldn't eat it.  DH ate it anyway and loved it, but if I were doing it again, I would cut the paprika by half at least.  Also I am only so-so on bell peppers, and I think you have to like them to like this a lot.  DH does and did.

butterscotch's picture

(post #36911, reply #87 of 88)

You know, the first time I made the soup, I only used half the quantity of smoked paprika called for, and it was plenty. I use El Rey de la Vera--it's very strongly flavored but not hot.  I also threw in a good amount of regular hot paprika and some Aleppo pepper, so my first batch turned out to have a little more kick than I wanted. But, instead of intensifying like yours did, my own soup mellowed out after a day or two.  If you plan to make it again, you might try decreasing the smoked paprika and using a type that's not hot.

As far as the bell peppers go, I completely agree with you--although there are a lot of tomatoes in the soup. the dominant flavor and the texture comes from the peppers.  I've experimented a little to see if I could get more of a balance between pepper and tomato by roasting the tomatoes with some sugar before I add them to the soup. This did move the tomato flavor a bit more to the foreground, but not that much.  I do think, though, that the soup would still be delicious if the quantity of peppers were decreased and the quantity of tomatoes significantly increased.

bonnieruth's picture

(post #36911, reply #88 of 88)

Thank you for all the suggestions - decrease paprika and don't use hot, roast tomatoes first, modify proportions of peppers to tomatoes. DH like this so much that I do want to try it again but would like to make it more palatable for me.

butterscotch's picture

(post #36911, reply #86 of 88)

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm thrilled that you liked it.  I always feel like an evangelist when I come across a recipe I particularly love and just want to make converts!  I made a pot of the soup last week and doubled the recipe. It disappeared so fast, I concluded that in the future I'll just have to triple it.

P.S. I don't think I indicated the source of the recipe when I posted it, but it's from Sunset Magazine.  Sunset's web site is a great place to browse when you need some recipe inspiration.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #36911, reply #16 of 88)

Wow, this is a difficult question

For one thing, we should have kept a more careful list of what we cooked last year

having said that, Phil immediately jumped and said that the highlight of this past year was my bread baking (Sally blushes a little.....)

but apart from that, I would say that two recipes come to my mind, because I ended up repeating them both often.

One was Tracy's lemony chicken curry (don't remember the exact name now, i think it even ended up in the T&T folder)

the other is a recipe from Fine COoking, pork tenderloin, butterflied, marinated in yogurt with peanut butter and grilled.

both recipes are very simple, but deliver amazing flavor. They are easy enough to be made on weeknights.

as far as elaborate recipes, my mind is drawing a blank - if I could pick from other years, I would say the cassoulet from Fine Cooking would be a serious candidate for "best in show"

chiffonade's picture

(post #36911, reply #22 of 88)

Maybe because it's the most recent "borrowed" recipe I've made?  My bro told me about this one.  It's actually perfect for Super Bowl nibbles.

Bacon-Wrapped Manchego-Stuffed Dates

You will need:

Dates

Manchego Cheese

Bacon (maple is OK but not thick-cut bacon)

Toothpicks

If the dates are not pitted, remove the pits through the top of the fruit with a small needle nose pliers (I have one labeled FOOD that lives in the kitchen).

Cut the manchego into small rectangular-ish shaped blocks.  Slide cheese into each date.

Cut the bacon slices in half as it will only require half a slice to wrap each date.  Wrap each date and secure with a toothpick.  Can be made to this point and refrigerated overnight.

Place oven rack on highest level.  Preheat the broiler.

Broil the dates between 6-10 minutes on one side.  Length of time will depend on how hot your broiler becomes.  When bacon is crispy, turn the dates over.  Broil only about 3-4 minutes on second side.  Be prepared to watch the dates as the high sugar content can cause scorching. 

Leave the toothpick in for service as this makes a handy holder for the guest.  Serve hot.

OMG.  These things are addicting.  We brought them as hors d'oeuvres, along with phyllo brie kisses I made, when we visited our friends for NYE.  They were the hit of the night.

"Sandra Lee is the Culinary Anti-Christ and I am the Anti-Sandra Lee.  The precious moments you may take to measure a level cup of flour are NOT wasted time!"

Chiffonade

*You're a REAL person, eat REAL food."

Chiffonade

wonka's picture

(post #36911, reply #24 of 88)

I do a similar one stuffed with goat cheese. Yummy.

MEANCHEF's picture

(post #36911, reply #26 of 88)

It is tough to pick one favorite.  Here are but a few:

Madeleine Kamman's torturous version of Beef Bourguignon: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/beef-bourguignon.aspx

This version of Coq Au Vin with cocoa powder : http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/Chicken/COQ_AU_VIN.html

The so simple dump and run Moroccan Chicken Soup: http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/SOUP/Moroccan_Chicken_Soup.html

SallyBR1's picture

(post #36911, reply #31 of 88)

I made this version and recommended it here a couple of years ago - I don't remember now who wanted to have a coq au vin recipe, maybe Geoffchef?

it is by far the best, I made it again three times over the years and we absolutely love it

SallyBR1's picture

(post #36911, reply #36 of 88)

Having discussed the recipes, I do think that one "food item" in particular has been my favorite this year. Favorite in the sense that I could almost see myself having it several times per week, if possible

it would be seared tuna - either coated with spices, or not, it doesn't matter

I absolutely fell in love with it this past year and ordered in every possible way in restaurants, as well as made it at home

my favorite sushi restaurant in town has a seared tuna salad that I order every single time, never get tired of it. I wish I could duplicate their sauce...

whatscooking's picture

(post #36911, reply #41 of 88)

Here's mine.  So simple, so good.  I had it in the restaurant the first time and was delighted to find it in the chef's book.  Roasted parmesan creamed onions:  http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2008/11/roasted-parmesan-creamed-onions.html

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne” Bette Davis.

http://theoutdatedkitchen.blogspot.com/

Chicago-style deep-dish:  "Pizza for people who just aren't fat enough"
Anthony Bourdain

slycat's picture

(post #36911, reply #44 of 88)

Wow, this looks yummy! Thanks

SuB's picture

(post #36911, reply #45 of 88)

Spicy Wok Shrimp with Coconut Rice (attached).  Made this again and again last year, we never get tired of it.  I serve it with plain jasmine rice.

Another would be Biscuit's Portobello Mushroom Bisque (in T&T).  I made it last night for supper.  It is sublime.  Thank you Biscuit.

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

Cheers, Sue B.

PreviewAttachmentSize
SPICY_WOK_SHRIMP_WITH_COCONUT_RICE2.doc25.5 KB
TracyK's picture

(post #36911, reply #49 of 88)

Thanks, that shrimp sounds delicious!

"The reason I don't worry about society is, nineteen people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I'll take those odds every day."
                                                        --Jon Stewart

whatscooking's picture

(post #36911, reply #54 of 88)

I have everything to make this tonight and I was looking for something to do with my shrimp.  Everything but the kaffir lime.  I think I might do it.  It looks better than what I pulled from Martha's website.  Surprisingly FC doesn't have that much asian shrimp stuff in their database.

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne” Bette Davis.

Anthony Bourdain

whatscooking's picture

(post #36911, reply #55 of 88)

Made it!  Delicious.  It isn't often that you run across a recipe that you just happen to have everything for.  I had been planning to make an improvisational stir-fry based on the stuff in the veggie bin anyway.  I'm glad I just followed this recipe.  The sauce was really good, just the right amount of spicy.  I used some red bell pepper along with the broccoli and served with brown rice.  I will definitely make again.   Thanks!  I can't wait to try some of the other recipes in this thread.

Anthony Bourdain

PreviewAttachmentSize
stir_fry_small.JPG
stir_fry_small.JPG74.12 KB
bonnieruth's picture

(post #36911, reply #59 of 88)

The shrimp dish looks awesome. I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned already, but what is Sriracha chile sauce? Is it a brand or a type of sauce? And can I find it at most Asian markets? Thanks for posting this.

suz's picture

(post #36911, reply #60 of 88)

It is a Thai hot sauce.  It is the Thai version of Sambal Olek.  According to the Thai gentleman I met in an Asian store in Chinatown they use this sauce on 'everything'.  It is quite spicy.

whatscooking's picture

(post #36911, reply #61 of 88)

And in this recipe the shrimp get a brief marinade in it!  It really makes them stand out, next to the vegetables.

Anthony Bourdain

SuB's picture

(post #36911, reply #62 of 88)

I'm so pleased that you all are enjoying the coconut shrimp recipe.  With all the great info I have recieved from this board I love being able to give something back.

It's a great springboard recipe to make with whatever veggies, etc., you have on hand. 

If you Google Sriracha you'll find photos of the bottle, which you'll probably recognise immediately.  It is available almost everywhere.  Don't substitute sambal olek though, it doesn't have the same flavor.

Cheers, Sue B.

Edited 1/12/2009 1:54 pm by SuB

Cheers, Sue B.