NEW! Google Custom Search

Christmas baking 2009

Syrah's picture

Christmas baking 2009 (post #65236)

in

So, who's started planning?

I know that the Americans still have Halloween and Thanksgiving to contend with, but for us in the Southern Hemisphere, Christmas is the next big thing.

Today, I tried Gourmet's Cinnamon Crisps.. really delicious and the golden syrup that I used instead of molasses really shone through. I did make a change with how to roll them out since that dough does not roll and cut easily. I ended up making a sausage in cling wrap, freezing it and slicing.

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/1940s/1944/10/cinnamon-sugar-crisps?printable=true

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained."
-Marie Curie
My perseverance will be rewarded.

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

Syrah's picture

Oh my! (post #65236, reply #65 of 66)

Oh my!

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

RuthWells's picture

(post #65236, reply #20 of 66)

Oh, lord have mercy. I supposed I better get started....

(Groan!)

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #22 of 66)

I'm buying Walker's Shortbreads at Costco and will bake what I feel like, when I feel like it. BJ's carries big tins of them, too, and I know you have a BJ's. God, they have macadamia nuts there, too, at good prices. I make a macadamia nut shortbread cookie that is to die for. Now if I can find the recipe....

I do realize you'll have to bake but the Walker's are quality cookies--not up to your creations, or even mine, but Robert loves them with coffee in the morning.

Jillsifer's picture

(post #65236, reply #23 of 66)

I'm buying Walker's Shortbreads at Costco and will bake what I feel like, when I feel like it.

That's the ol' holiday spirit! Bingle jells, baby!

Y'know, you can always dip your Walker's Shortbreads in choc . . . oh, never mind. Just remembered you're one of THEM.

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties and things that go bump in the night, good Lord deliver us!

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #24 of 66)

DH loves chocolate, even bad chocolate, and he's allowed to dip if he wants. If he behaves, of course. It's difficult for the poor dear, as he's not had enough practice. ;-)

I used to bake and bake, but I got tired, Jill. :(

Jillsifer's picture

(post #65236, reply #25 of 66)

Oh, Marcia, I'm SORRY. Apparently I took the playing and goofing too far. Will you accept my apology?

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties and things that go bump in the night, good Lord deliver us!

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #26 of 66)

No need, Jill. I must feel guilty, since I'm not able to cook and bake as much as in the past. No need at all, my dear. Really. You ARE a dear, too. :)

helena1's picture

(post #65236, reply #28 of 66)

Oh Marcia, I wish I was closer to you. I'd come over, you'd cuddle Noah and I'd make you tins and tins of your favourite cookies!

Canuck's picture

(post #65236, reply #29 of 66)

If you're coming over to this side of the Atlantic, I want in on that cuddle/cookie deal! :)

helena1's picture

(post #65236, reply #30 of 66)

You've got a deal :o).  A trip to Canada is high on my wish list. Even if it won't happen in the next few years, I'm determined to make it there someday :o).

Canuck's picture

(post #65236, reply #32 of 66)

Well, when you come, you must visit us--even if the little guy is too big for cuddling!

helena1's picture

(post #65236, reply #33 of 66)

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #34 of 66)

Thank you for those lovely thoughts, Heleen. (Did I spell your name correctly?) Actually, you'd be making the cookies for my husband, but I'd be happy to cuddle Noah anytime, with or without cookies!

Pumpkie's picture

(post #65236, reply #35 of 66)

I love the idea of the cocoa blocks! It says you can add flavored oils does anyone know if using just vanilla will work or would it seize the chocolate?

helena1's picture

(post #65236, reply #36 of 66)

Yes, you did spell it perfectly :o). You're most welcome, and I'd find something to make that you would like too! You're always so kind, you really deserve some pampering :o)

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #37 of 66)

My family pampers me too much I sometimes think, and I try to do the same for them. They are dears, and I'm blessed in many ways. It seems that you are, too, with your beautiful new family. I'm so pleased for you and Marco, Heleen. Noah is a fortunate child and I know that you consider yourself fortunate to have him. :)

helena1's picture

(post #65236, reply #38 of 66)

Your message just made me feel all good this morning :o). Thanks Marcia!

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #39 of 66)

Oh, Heleen, aren't you sweet? Thanks for YOUR kind words. ;-)

bwf17's picture

(post #65236, reply #48 of 66)

We are blessed to have you with us...you deserve pampering.

Mary

gardencat's picture

Helena, you have to come to (post #65236, reply #64 of 66)

Helena, you have to come to Ottawa when you come to Canada. I can show you the tulips that come from the Netherlands and also where Princess Margriet was born. Of course we can bake cookies and eat and talk and cuddle your adorable baby!
I promise, when I go to Holland to visit family in the next couple of years, I'll let you know too.

heleen's picture

We have a deal!! If I come to (post #65236, reply #66 of 66)

We have a deal!! If I come to Canada, I will come to see you, and when you are in Holland, you will come to see me :o).

bwf17's picture

(post #65236, reply #49 of 66)

I adore Walkers.....it is hard to beat.

bwf17's picture

(post #65236, reply #50 of 66)

Please do share your recipe....I would love it.

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #51 of 66)

Yes, yes, pamper away...I've no objections at all. :-)You're very kind, Mary.

I'm annoyed. Went to BJ's yesterday for the first time in ages, and while they did have plenty of Walker's Shortbread in tins, not cardboard boxes (it makes a huge difference) they had not a macadamia nut in sight. Will have to pray that I get to TJ's and they have them, or perhaps I'll order them. I've not been pleased with Trader Joe's macadamia nuts the past couple of times I bought them. They're so expensive elsewhere, but there's not much point in making the cookie with inferior ingredients.

Certainly you may have the recipe. I'll just go and see if it's where I think.

Scottish Shortbread (nut variation) from The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 to 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar (I use the lesser amount)
1/2 teaspoon salt, rounded
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour (Hecker's is fine, too)
1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, pulsed until fine and fluffy in a food processor. I recommend a FP for the whole recipe. First remove the nuts.

Process the butter with the sugar and add the salt and flour. You should have a soft dough, and I stir in the nuts by hand, though you could use a mixer.

Preheat oven to 350. Press the dough into a foil lined 8 or 9 inch square pan and bake until firm and barely golden. Depending on the amount of your ingredients this can vary from 1/2 to 1 hour. (I think the lesser time is what I use, but I keep an eye on them.) After removing the pan from the oven, dust with confectioners' sugar and cool before cutting into small squares with a serrated knife.

The cookies come out unusually rich because the nuts are so fatty. The original recipe suggests using almonds, baking in a 9 or 10 inch pie pan and scoring the dough by cutting halfway through it to divide the shortbread into 6 or 8 inch pie-shaped pieces. I don't remember why I use a square pan, but I did the first time I made these, and that's the way I do it now.

bwf17's picture

(post #65236, reply #52 of 66)

Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious.   So tell me, do you prefer tins or boxes of shortbread?

BTW, if you have a SAMs or even perhaps a super Walmart, I know Sams has macadamia nuts in large packages....at least they did every other year.

Are you able to eat shortbread?

Edited 11/21/2009 8:54 am ET by bwf17

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #53 of 66)

No, I can't eat wheat, so no shortbread for me, but I'm not a big sweets person, so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I make gingerbread with oat flour and that works out very nicely. I do love gingerbread.

We have a Sam's but I've never seen macadamia nuts there. Will take a look, just in case. These places vary in what they carry, you know.

I never buy Walker's at Sam's because they carry cardboard packages and not tins, and DH says it tastes different and not as good. So I buy the tins, which I find useful for different things. I like tins, but I do have quite a few. LOL

Are you going to make a trip to the Edison Costco for holiday spirits? They used to have special things for wonderful prices before Christmas, but it's been a long time, and I can't speak for them now. It's so irritating not to have a nearby Costco and then to have one without a liquor license, but such is life.

bwf17's picture

(post #65236, reply #54 of 66)

I thought you had a gluten intolerance.  Too bad....I wish I did not like sweets.  They and snacks are my downfall.

Not sure about Edison....we were at Bridgewater Costco last weekend, but I am tempted....to check it out again....you enabler......

I don't mind travelling distances, so I would make the trip to Costco if I was you....

Marcia's picture

(post #65236, reply #55 of 66)

Not gluten intolerance, but an allergy to wheat. The trip to Edison would really wear me out, I'm sorry to say. I'd be good for nothing for several days after. Local shopping is difficult enough at times.

A fairly recent law has made it legal to have wine shipped to NJ, and DH just ordered a nice case of something for himself. If he's pleased, he'll order more as gifts -- the price was excellent. I'll bet that PA doesn't allow shipping. Those state stores never made me happy.

I do think you should go, however. You never know what finds you'll miss if you don't go. ;-)

Syrah's picture

(post #65236, reply #56 of 66)

I was ALL motivated to get started on my cake today, but have discovered that the warehouse type store I like to buy my fruit and nuts from is closed on Sunday.

I guess it gives me time to work out what I already have.

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained."
-Marie Curie
My perseverance will be rewarded.

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #65236, reply #57 of 66)

Marcia - If you are looking to order the macadamias, I've had wonderful service from www.nutsonline.com

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn