NEW! Google Custom Search

2005-La Martha's Holiday Mag

plantlust's picture

K, so I caved.  I saw the gorgeous snowflake cookie on the cover and just caved.
This mag is nothing but cookie recipes which are sectioned by texture.

Soft/chewy, crisp/crunchy, light/delicate, crumbly/sandy, cakey/tender, rich/dense and chunky/nutty.  I'm still working my way thru the magazine.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

AJ12754's picture

(post #63715, reply #172 of 209)

Wow -- that's a great idea -- and have a skinny little plastic one that'll be perfect!  THANKS!

"Truth is the engine of our judicial system." Patrick Fitzgerald

Cave obdurationem cordis

paretsky's picture

(post #63715, reply #176 of 209)

I've gotta say that I'm not having a lot of luck with Martha's cookie recipes. Three made, only one that I'm happy with. The tuiles were a miserable failure, didn't cook all the way through. The lemon crisps (or whatever they're called) were OK, but spread a little and wound a little too crispy. Only the chocolate crackles have been clear winners so far.

How many people can read hex if only you and dead people can read hex?

57006. dead in hex = 57005 in decimal. Add one more for "you" and you have the result.

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

dlish's picture

(post #63715, reply #177 of 209)

I made the mini black & white cookies. They came out great! Seems that recipe checks out.

KathiM's picture

(post #63715, reply #155 of 209)

cashmere. mmm-  I wonder if there is such a thing as cashmere lust?  If so please sign me up.

tcurda's picture

(post #63715, reply #160 of 209)

Funny thing is, I've searched all of the bookstores in my area and nobody has it. Next step is trying to find it via mail order... :-/

Tom aka tomcatt

Live today like there's no tomorrow.

Smile - People will wonder what you're up to.

Tom aka tomcatt

Meryl's picture

(post #63715, reply #161 of 209)

Hey Tom,

Did you check in Barnes and Noble? I was just there today (I'm in Greensboro), and they had lots of them. They were not only in the magazine area, but also in the cookbook section. Also, they sell them here in the supermarkets by the checkout.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #162 of 209)

Since 9am this morning I am a proud owner of the Cookie Magazine. WOW, both indexes - front and back - are pretty impressive, as are the pictures. So far I have only glanced at the recipes, but found a dozen that I am itching to try asap.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

tcurda's picture

(post #63715, reply #164 of 209)

Hi Meryl,

Yes, I had looked at several Barnes & Nobles, a Borders, and several grocery stores, all without luck.

I was at Whole Foods this morning and lo and behold, at the register there it was.

I'm a happy camper now, but I fear I'll be quite busy the next few weeks. :-)

Tom aka tomcatt

Tom aka tomcatt

Meryl's picture

(post #63715, reply #165 of 209)

Glad you found it, Tom. Happy Baking! 

RheaS's picture

(post #63715, reply #166 of 209)

It also took me some effort to find and, like you, I found it by the registers at a grocery store. It looks like it was worth the effort. Gorgeous cookies although some are more appropriate for summer like the ones with the fresh raspberries. It's going to be hard to select only a few for my Christmas cookie selection.

CHandGreeson's picture

(post #63715, reply #167 of 209)

I think maybe they ran out and had to re-run the magazine. I looked and looked as well (and NONE in B&N) 2 weeks ago and then lo and behold, it was everywhere this weekend!
~Charlotte

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #168 of 209)

I had to look in several stores.  I decided that K-Mart was the place to go, but they didn't have it, and the clerk I asked acted as if she'd never heard of Martha.  I did find it at a grocery store.  Wonderful photos.  I have a feeling this year's cookies are going to break with tradition. 

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #173 of 209)

We just finished making the chocolate mint cookies, with a couple of minor changes: middle DD preferred to use the bathing suit cutter rather than a circle; we had enough minty ganache to fill and dip cookies, so we dipped only partway to make bikinis. Very festive and non-denominational cookies LOL. 

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #174 of 209)

I just made my first batch from Martha's.  I think it might be a disaster.  I made the Chocolate Crackles dough.  You're supposed to divide into four parts, then shape each part into 16 balls.  I pictured something that I could hold in my hands and roll into balls.  If I tried that with what I made, it would be dripping through my fingers.  I even added an extra 1/2 cup of flour, but it was still like something I would turn into a pan for brownies.  I haven't tried shaping yet because I planned to freeze the dough, which is what I did. I guess I'll just thaw and scoop out dough while still very cold, and sprinkle with the sugars.  I know at least one person here has made those cookies and even recommended them.  I can't figure out what I did wrong. 

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #63715, reply #175 of 209)

With chocolate cookies like that sometimes the dough does start out very soft, but it usually firms up over time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Edited 12/5/2005 10:38 pm by CookiM0nster

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #179 of 209)

I suppose the dough would firm up some when the melted chocolate gets cold. I thought the recipe was a little weird to begin with: the melted chocolate, 2 eggs, and 1/3 cup milk -- all contributing to the softness of the dough, with only 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/2 cup cocoa to firm it up.

Do you know how cocoa compares with flour as far as thickening the dough? I guess it would have to do with hygroscopicity, huh? I have wondered in the past when I added some cocoa to a recipe that doesn't call for it.

Sammy2's picture

(post #63715, reply #178 of 209)

I made those and it is a very soft dough.  I didn't bother with the splitting into 4 and then split more.  I had 2 rolls/slabs and had them in the fridge for a day and then made them.  I used a scoop and worked quickly to shape them and roll them in the sugars.  My daughter tried to help but I think her hands were too warm and it was just goop.  They look beautiful and taste great, very intense.

I hope this helps and they turn out for you.  By the way, the Old Fashioned Chewy Molasses cookie batter needs to be really cold or it is impossible to work with too. In the end they taste great, just a little too much spreading for some of them.

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #180 of 209)

I'm glad to know that they turned out so well for you, and that the dough was similar to mine. I guess keeping it very cold and scooping quickly is the way to go. It sounds a lot like making truffles. Better hurry or it ends up all over your hands.

Sammy2's picture

(post #63715, reply #181 of 209)

Exactly like truffles, which is why we ate some of the dough for dessert the night before.  Quick and dirty, so to speak.

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #183 of 209)

Exactly like truffles, which is why we ate some of the dough for dessert the night before.

LOL  I'd better plan to do the dirty work when no one else is around.  Just plain old cookie dough seems to dwindle quickly when I'm not being watchful.

paretsky's picture

(post #63715, reply #182 of 209)

The chocolate crackles are the only ones I've had any luck with so far from the magazine. My experience was exactly like yours: the dough was more like brownie batter than cookie dough. I wound up chilling it in the freezer for several hours just to make it malleable. Rolling out the balls was challenging too, because even when frozen the dough melted quickly in my hands.

However, once that was done and the balls were coated in sugar, they baked up very nicely. I'd definitely make these again.

How many people can read hex if only you and dead people can read hex?

57006. dead in hex = 57005 in decimal. Add one more for "you" and you have the result.

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

Syb's picture

(post #63715, reply #184 of 209)

My experience was exactly like yours

I'm reassured that I didn't make a major error.  However, it will be interesting to see what adding that extra 1/2 cup of flour will do. 

Robin's picture

(post #63715, reply #188 of 209)

I made the Iced Oatmeal Applesauce cookies.  They are delicious.  These are my new favorite oatmeal cookies.

Also made the lime melt-aways.  They too, are delicious.  However, I broke quite a few when I followd the instructions to toss them in 10x sugar in a zip top bag.  DON'T DO THAT!!!  They are so crumbly they break. 

Jo's picture

(post #63715, reply #189 of 209)

Did you ice the applesauce cookies? That's my bugaboo. I want my cookies to be done when they come out of the oven--I hate icing! I want to make these but don't want to go out and buy chunky applesauce. I'll try them with smooth.

lime cookies sound good, too, and sans powdered sugar.

I'm now putting batches of snickerdoodles in the oven. I used Martha's recipe because it uses baking powder, not soda (why do most recipes have baking soda? what is acidic to balance the soda? there is nothing worse than a baking soda-ey cookie).

HOWEVER, I did follow Joanne Chang's #68 snickerdoodles flour amount (2 2/3 rather than 2 3/4) and the dough is wonderfully light and fluffy and not hard to roll gently into a ball , though not quite as big as Martha's, which is 1 3/4--mine are more like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. I also added about 1/8 tsp. allspice to my doubled recipe just for a slightly exotic smell. I used Penzey's vietnamese cinnamon, very flavorful and fragrant. My house smells great.

Robin's picture

(post #63715, reply #198 of 209)

I did ice the oatmeals, but next time I may not.  I couldn't taste the maple flavor.  Maybe I'll just put it in the batter next time.

The lime cookies need the powdered sugar because there's not much sugar in the dough.  I would just sift it onto them when they get out of the oven.

Your snickerdoodles sound delicious.  My favorite recipe is still from the old Betty Crocker cookie book.  I like the idea of allspice.

cookie1's picture

(post #63715, reply #199 of 209)

I made the chewy chocolate chip cookies and they were chewy and slightly crispy around the edges, but I thought that they did spread a little more than my liking. Would chilling the dough make much of a difference?

Cheryl

It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice!

Cheryl

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #63715, reply #200 of 209)

Yes. If they still spread too much after a couple of hours of chilling, try letting the dough sit in the fridge overnight. The rest does something to most cookie doughs that make them spread less.

cookie1's picture

(post #63715, reply #201 of 209)

Thanks! I am surprised that it is never written in a recipe to rest dough in the refrigerator. Although I was tempted to do just that, I decided that I wanted to complete my baking for the evening. I had already made rugalach.

Cheryl

Cheryl

plantlust's picture

(post #63715, reply #202 of 209)

Made La Martha's Earl Grey tea cookies and the China Moon Cappuccino Coins.
First, the Earl Grey tea cookies: based on the comments from the last person who made them, I cream the butter & sugar WITH the tea just to see if the 3-4 minutes in the mixer would pull some more of the flavor out of the tea. Sad to say I am disappointed in the flavor also. While the flavor of the dough was intense when it was just butter, sugar, orange zest and tea, once I added the flour the flavor was very muted.

After baking, while the cookies were still warm, the flavor was strongly orange zest. After the cookies cooled, they were sweet w/a hint of orange. Earl Grey tea has a wonderful smell in the tea bag and I can see how it could inspire a cookie but I'm not certain if this is the way to go. Maybe an Earl Grey tea Tuile or lace cookie?

All I can say about the Coins was FABULOUS! I can't stand coffee but these are very good. Next attempt will have the white chocolate lines as decoration. Oh and I had good luck in baking this dough while still soft. I rolled the dough into nickel sized balls and placed them on the parchment/Silpat. Then w/the that pad at the base of your thumb that's actually in your palm (sorry don't know the correct medical terminology) I pressed each ball slightly flat. They came out almost EXACTLY the same size and shape.

(feedback from clients in MN - oooo Rum Balls & can we have the recipe for Tante Dieta's Peanutbutterscotch Morsels?, feedback from clients in NYC - oooo Rum balls. CA should be responding next week)

K So I wasn't good enough for acreage or a fireplace last year.  I think that I've been good enough this year that I deserve a soapstone stove JUST LIKE Assibam's.  I'll unhing the front door so Santa won't have any trouble.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.