NEW! Google Custom Search

2005-La Martha's Holiday Mag

plantlust's picture

K, so I caved.  I saw the gorgeous snowflake cookie on the cover and just caved.
This mag is nothing but cookie recipes which are sectioned by texture.

Soft/chewy, crisp/crunchy, light/delicate, crumbly/sandy, cakey/tender, rich/dense and chunky/nutty.  I'm still working my way thru the magazine.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

helena's picture

(post #63715, reply #18 of 209)

Unfortunately, no. I didn't know there were K-mart stores outside of the US?

chiquiNO's picture

(post #63715, reply #19 of 209)

Oh, I'm sorry....didn't realize you were not in the US...perhaps look on her website...I'm sure they ship!

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

VickiG's picture

(post #63715, reply #43 of 209)

Helena, if you can get to Amsterdam they sell Martha at the American Bookstore on the Kalverstraat.  Just curious.. where are you in the Netherlands (I live near den Bosch but work in Amsterdam).

Vicki

helena's picture

(post #63715, reply #48 of 209)

Hey, another Dutchie! I never knew :o). Unfortunately I live in the very south, but totally by coincidence I was in Amsterdam two weeks ago and I went to both bookstores with American titles in the Kalverstraat. It was heaven :o)

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #44 of 209)

Hey, good news: Bernie is flying to Fairbanks on the 10th. Just tell me and he'll pick up a copy for you, too!

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

Jean's picture

(post #63715, reply #45 of 209)

Well, DH picked one up for me in town today. He knows the way the cookie crumbles.

Veni, vidi, velcro        I came,  I  saw,  I stuck around.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
helena's picture

(post #63715, reply #49 of 209)

I'll let you know before he goes, okay? I'm still hoping the hospital bookstore will come through for me, LOL!

P.s.: I'm emailing you soon about the shopping trip you want to take, I'm *all* for it (arm twisting is never necessary when shopping is mentioned ;o))

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #20 of 209)

If you cannot live without this magazine (and I understand that), email me and I'll mail one to you asap.

Karen

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #21 of 209)

That's so sweet of you to offer, thank you! If Bernie doesn't get that trip I can always ask my stepson to bring it when he comes over for Christmas.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #22 of 209)

Really, I don't mind at all. If you wait till Xmas, you'll have to wait until next year to bake them. Cmon, you know you want it ... :)

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #23 of 209)

I'll think about it. Bernie should have his Nov schedule by now, and will let you know. Thanks again :-)

Herm Albright

Robin's picture

(post #63715, reply #15 of 209)

I confess, I bought it too.  I need more cookie recipes like I need a hole in my head.  And now there's talk of a new Whimsical cookie book...

Wolvie's picture

(post #63715, reply #30 of 209)

okay - that's it - I'll have to go and look for this mag now. Le sigh. ;-)

If, 2 1/2 years in, you don't control the only road linking your military airport to your headquarters, you don't control much of anything

Lewis Simons

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #31 of 209)

I just bought one--and one for my sister. It is a gorgeous magazine, and I'm already in the Christmas spirit. Only, what, 7 more weeks? LOL

Wolvie's picture

(post #63715, reply #32 of 209)

out here in the boonies - I can see I'm going to have to hunt for this durn thing. Man - what you guys do to me. ;-)

If, 2 1/2 years in, you don't control the only road linking your military airport to your headquarters, you don't control much of anything

Lewis Simons

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #33 of 209)

I didn't do it, it's the others! I dragged 2 DDs to the supermarket before school today because I couldn't go on another hour without knowing what everyone is talking about.

How pathetic is that? :)

Wolvie's picture

(post #63715, reply #34 of 209)

truthfully? Worse than me. ;-0

Lewis Simons

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #35 of 209)

Yeah, but I've got it now nyah nyah LOL

ghcook's picture

(post #63715, reply #40 of 209)

You guys are the worst!  I don't even bake cookies but now I have to get this!  Hedgehogs and porcupines????  Of course I need to know how to make those.   : )  Well, it's probably a lot cheaper than some of the other purchases enabled by this group.

Tana's picture

(post #63715, reply #41 of 209)

Can most cookie dough be frozen? Are there certain guidelines? I like the idea of making the dough and baking the cookies off as I need to during the holiday season. Interesting thought about giving cookie dough with baking instructions as a gift. It would be great gift for elderly family members.

Skyler's picture

(post #63715, reply #59 of 209)

Tana, I freeze most of my cookie doughs all the time.  Rollout cookie doughs (gingerbread, sugar cookie and shortbread dough) and drop cookie doughs (oatmeal, chocolate chip, peanut butter, etc.) freeze beautifully.  What I wouldn't freeze are those that have more of a batter than dough such as tuiles or madeleines.  Freezing the dough is a life saver!     

deejeh's picture

(post #63715, reply #36 of 209)

I bought it yesterday, and blew the afternoon away reading the recipes.  I'm already figuring out freezer space so I can start making a bunch this weekend.  I plan on vacuum-packing the dough in my new foodsaver (bought on ebay for about $50 less than I would have paid at Costco) - an appliance I never knew I needed til I started hanging around this forum.  You guys are the enablers, I am the enabled - a role I accept as my humble duty.   LOL

deej

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #37 of 209)

Hmm, I paid the Costco price :)

So you'll make the dough for some now, freeze it in one chuck, and then bake everything at once? Or do you freeze in smaller amounts, such as a roll of dough, or individual cookies, and then bake an assortment? I thought of doing something similar this year to avoid having tons of cookies all at once.

Any advice welcome.

deejeh's picture

(post #63715, reply #38 of 209)

I was thinking that I would portion out the dough into cookies, freeze them on baking sheets and then package them so they could be baked in small batches.  I got on a major roll a couple of years ago and froze 8 doz raw rugelach, and about 16 logs of biscotti, and then just took them out and baked them off a few at a time.  That way, I had absolutely fresh cookies to take as gifts throughout the season.  Although I've frozen baked cookies with some success, I think they're more toothsome when freshly baked.

(And, as far as the foodsaver is concerned, it's you and Gretchen who are the unconscious enablers - your Plugra looked so secure in its vacuum pack, and Gretchen's remarks about how she keeps cheese from becoming slimy were the reasons I bought the thing.)

deej

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #39 of 209)

I think the portioning is a good plan. I think Biscuit mentioned giving frozen dough as gifts. I do know lots of people who'd like that and not notice any difference in the end product.

Glad you have the FoodSaver. I do like mine a lot, and with all the tips here, I know to make the bags a little large, wash on the top rack of the dishwasher, then reuse. So for all the money I'm spending, I'm actually saving LOL!

Skyler's picture

(post #63715, reply #46 of 209)

I bought it a couple days ago.  It's really nice as are her other special holiday issues from the past several years.  The cookie issue from '01 is terrific.

chiquiNO's picture

(post #63715, reply #47 of 209)

You've got to go get this one quickly!!  It is fabulous...I was like a madwoman yesterday looking at every drugstore and grocery to no avail!!  Finally went to Barnes and Nobles and there it was.....bunches of them.  It is great.  I've earmarked quite a few to try this Christmas as little tins of homemade cookies and candies will be Christmas gifts for special people!!

Over 100 cookie recipes and a lot I've never seen before!!  If anyone has trouble finding one...let me know...I'll be happy to send ya'll one!

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

Edited 11/3/2005 8:10 pm by chiquiNO

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #50 of 209)

I made the chocolate malted sandwich cookies yesterday night to use up some malted milk powder. I thought they were delicious, even without the filling.

deejeh's picture

(post #63715, reply #51 of 209)

Where did you get the malted milk powder?

deej

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #52 of 209)

It's just Ovaltine, so I thought from Loblaws; however, I just checked the label and it's mostly Chinese characters, so it must have been a Chinese supermarket. I know Ribena is less than half price in Chinatown, so the Ovaltine was probably cheaper too.