NEW! Google Custom Search

2005-La Martha's Holiday Mag

plantlust's picture

K, so I caved.  I saw the gorgeous snowflake cookie on the cover and just caved.
This mag is nothing but cookie recipes which are sectioned by texture.

Soft/chewy, crisp/crunchy, light/delicate, crumbly/sandy, cakey/tender, rich/dense and chunky/nutty.  I'm still working my way thru the magazine.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

TracyK's picture

(post #63715, reply #101 of 209)

Really? All the regular supermarkets around here carry it... it's with the Nestle Quik powder, though, not the powdered milk. Sometimes I've found it with the ice cream toppings. But Giant, Safeway, etc. all carry it.

Squirrels are just rats in cuter outfits.
       -- Carrie Bradshaw

AJ12754's picture

(post #63715, reply #109 of 209)

I was probably looking in the wrong place then --

It was actually Williams-Sonoma that sent me to Walmart -- they had a malted ice cream recipe in their NY cookbook that my hubby wanted to try and so I stopped in there to ask for the malt powder and she said they didn't carry it but Walmart was the only place she'd seen it.

"Truth is the engine of our judicial system." Patrick Fitzgerald

Cave obdurationem cordis

TracyK's picture

(post #63715, reply #110 of 209)

It is usually on the top shelf... Carnation is the brand I've seen most often. :-)

Squirrels are just rats in cuter outfits.
       -- Carrie Bradshaw

knitpik's picture

(post #63715, reply #108 of 209)

Thanks aj. I will check Walmart too.

deejeh's picture

(post #63715, reply #106 of 209)

I've never seen malt powder anywhere.  It's gonna be Ovaltine or Horlicks, both of which are available at Loblaws, I think.  (Or Chinatown, as Canuck mentioned.)

deej

knitpik's picture

(post #63715, reply #107 of 209)

I'm pretty sure I can find some at Nutter's. They carry all kinds of stuff for baking. If not, I know I can find Ovaltine at the Chinese grocery store.

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #63715, reply #112 of 209)

Not to split hairs, guys, but malt powder, malted milk powder and Ovaltine are three very different animals.

~RuthAnn

The glass is neither half empty nor half full - it's twice the size it needs to be.

~RuthAnn

knitpik's picture

(post #63715, reply #113 of 209)

You're right. I guess I was too lazy to type malted-milk powder. LOL
I know what's malt powder...I've used it in breads and I wouldn't use it in my cookies. I suppose if we use Ovaltine, we'll call it Chocolate Ovaltine Sandwiches and a new cookie was born.<BG>

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #114 of 209)

Whoops, that was me. I used Ovaltine in the Chocolate Malt cookies because the label said "malted milk...drink." I guess I should have slowed down. However, the cookies were wonderful so I'll probably use it again. The recipe does call for a lot of the malted milk powder (1.25 cups I think).

KitchenWitch's picture

(post #63715, reply #115 of 209)

I'm sure Ovaltine has way more sugar than regular malted milk powder - I wondered if that would throw the proportions off - nice to hear it didn't!

I was eyeing this recipe and Ovaltine is sometthing we always have in the hours.

~RuthAnn

The glass is neither half empty nor half full - it's twice the size it needs to be.

~RuthAnn

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #116 of 209)

It's a great recipe, and the frosting is delish. I'd be interested to hear how it works for people who use malted milk powder.

knitpik's picture

(post #63715, reply #117 of 209)

I was going to ask you...when you used Ovaltine, did you change anything in the recipe?

soccermom's picture

(post #63715, reply #118 of 209)

No, I assumed that Ovaltine was what I needed, so I proceeded as the recipe instructed. We thought they were great :)

knitpik's picture

(post #63715, reply #120 of 209)

Thanks. I like Ovaltine but I've never tried malted-milk powder.
I used to eat it by the spoon. Yum.

SallyBR1's picture

(post #63715, reply #119 of 209)

Did you know that Ovaltine in Brazil is sold as

OVOMALTINE?

(Don t you feel wiser now that you know? :-)

Sorry, I need to go back to work -it' s been a very bad week so far in plenty of fronts.

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #121 of 209)

If Ovomaltine is the same in Brazil as it is here it tastes FAR better than Ovaltine in the States. And did you know that the best way to consume Ovomaltine is with a spoon? I don't like it dissolved as a drink, but by the spoonful, yum!

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

SallyBR1's picture

(post #63715, reply #122 of 209)

Amazing! So you have Ovomaltine too?

I used to eat it by the spoonful when I was a child - delicious! I've never tried Ovaltine, too bad if it's not the same

You know something I used to love too? A spoonful of condensed, sweetened milk, a heavy sprinkle of Ovomaltine on top - I used to call it "liquid cookie"

CookiM0nster's picture

(post #63715, reply #134 of 209)

"Amazing! So you have Ovomaltine too?"

Even better, in Switzerland they have a ovomaltine chocoalte bar - ovomaltine crystals suspended in milk chocolate. Yum!

Oh, and just to stay on topic, I just bought the magazine and love it. There are some great looking cookies in there.

Jillsifer's picture

(post #63715, reply #126 of 209)

I'm completely uninformed. Can you name a malt powder brand, or tell me where/how I could find some? Please?

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

elizaram's picture

(post #63715, reply #127 of 209)

Malted milk powder - I'm assuming this is what is called for in the recipe. This is the brand you are most likely to find in your local supermarket:

From the Dessert First blog:

Usually branded as Carnation malted milk powder or Horlicks, malted milk is malted barley and wheat flour, mixed with whole milk, ground, and then evaporated into a powder. It was originally manufactured as an artificial infant food but reached cult status when it became the basis for malted milkshakes, which were invented in 1922 by a soda jerk at a Walgreens drug store in Chicago. Today, malted milk is found in a variety of foods, including a chocolate candy confection known as malted milk balls (hello Maltesers and Whoppers!).

Malt powder, on the other hand, is plain ground roasted sprouted barley. It's sometimes used in bread baking, but most often used to brew beer. I've never seen this in a supermarket (except one oddball local place that used to carry homebrew paraphernalia in their organic food aisle) - if you need it, your best bet would be a brewing supply shop.

When I was young, all my friends were imaginary. Now that I'm older, all my friends are virtual.

Jillsifer's picture

(post #63715, reply #128 of 209)

Thank you--now I'll know what to look for. Appreciate it.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

Sondra's picture

(post #63715, reply #83 of 209)

All that??  Positively decadent.  Lacking only in champagne and chocolate!

macy's picture

(post #63715, reply #68 of 209)

I bake a lot, but had I not read this thread, I would have remained blissfully unaware that there were magazines out there that I can't live without. And because I took that detour through the magazine isle (which I usually stay away from), 4 magazines ended up in my cart. It's hopeless, heavy sigh. At least the MS one can go up on the shelf with the cookie cookbooks, because that's really what it is.   Macy

gremolata's picture

(post #63715, reply #138 of 209)

great picture of your cupcakes...I love cupcakes and crave the barefoot contess'a coconut cupcakes, that I made once.

ciao!

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #10 of 209)

You made me want it, too, le pout!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

helena's picture

(post #63715, reply #11 of 209)

C'mon, you *need* that issue   :oP

assibams's picture

(post #63715, reply #12 of 209)

That's so unfair! At least you know where to get yours.... I don't know if Bernie will get his requested trip to the States this or next month.

Herm Albright

Nightrider's picture

(post #63715, reply #13 of 209)

hmmm, I forgot about that yield issue.  I generally halve the recipe and make ~36 regular sized cookies.  I've always just ignored the yield.

As far as the different colours go, I think that recipe was part of single article that had a few cookie recipes in it.  I believe there might be a sugar cookie recipe that uses the same "heart-shaped cookies" photo.

Either way, it's very yummy gingerbread!

Laura

helena's picture

(post #63715, reply #16 of 209)

well, that's not entirely true, because my trusted magazine store has fallen off the face of the earth. I'm now shopping at the hospital bookstore that may or may not have the MS Living, and I'm hlodin my breath for special issues.

I did buy a DVD set from Martha though through Amazon ;o). THe Christmas DVD has the cutest gingerbread cookies ever that I will definately make this year!

chiquiNO's picture

(post #63715, reply #17 of 209)

DO you have a K-Mart????  They sell her magazine and all her other stuff.  Great prices, too!

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans