NEW! Google Custom Search

SallyBR_'s picture

Yeap, I will be flying in one... to go to Europe on Friday. IN case you did not know, I am scared of flying, and would much rather go driving. Unfortunately, my car has problems with salt water. Never took the 747 before - huge thing. Guess it's one of the safest planes, though - any good experiences to pump me up? (skip the bad ones, please)

RuthAnn's picture

(post #57237, reply #121 of 127)

I'm planning to slip her a little Benedryl. Although, this kid sleeps thru her daddy's snoring - I'm listening to him over the baby monitor as I type this - and I'm not too concerned about the ear thing - i can nurse her, if necessary, plus- she's used to the drive up the "hill" to where we live at 4800 ft - my ears pop a couple times on the drive up - she never even wakes up.

I know a crying child on a plane is unpleasant - and I'll do whatever I can to prevent it - but I've heard people say terrible things. Ranging from babies having no business on planes to they should be in the cargo hold to throwing them off the plane in midair. Goddess help anyone who says anything like that to me.

RuthAnn's picture

(post #57237, reply #122 of 127)

Tell me about it. Maybe others can. I cannot - except in an occasional dream.

Guess I'm not a very good witch. Of course, whoever heard of a witch that doesn't like cats? I'm surprised they haven't made me turn in my pointed hat.

kai_'s picture

(post #57237, reply #123 of 127)

[re flying]
i except in an occasional dream.

Ditto. I told this story before, so I won't repeat it. I'm still searching for the perfect "notice" in my dreams (usu it is recognition of my hands, but I have to concentrate on feeling this before I fall asleep) that allows me to fly at will. Quite rare.

Fascinating stuff.

MadMom_'s picture

(post #57237, reply #124 of 127)

RuthAnn - are you
b sure
you are a witch? A Republican, who doesn't like cats??

As far as little Ipke and the plane...I think what upsets other passengers on a plane are the parents who seem totally disconnected from their kids. If the little monster is running up and down the aisle, they ignore them. If he/she is kicking the seat in front, they pretend it's "cute". As a mother and grandmother, I hate to hear a baby crying on a plane, not because I hate babies, but because I wish I could do something to make them happy. Sounds like you're prepared, and I don't think you would let Miss Natalie Ipke act like a monster, even if I'm not really sure you're a witch.

RuthAnn's picture

(post #57237, reply #125 of 127)

I'm pretty sure I'm a witch.

Even though I'm a Republican.
the Cat thing is tough. I've just never had one, and I expect them to act like dogs, and they don't. Having a dog as a familiar is difficult - they refuse to take anything serious. (as opposed to cats, who always seem serious to me)

I'm going to get a chance to work on the cat thing, it seems. DH's b*tch of an ex-wife, after insisting 5 years ago that she couldn't possibly give up their cats, has moved, leaving them behind with a friend who really doesn't want them. So, looks like I'll have two cats shortly, and will now have to deal with cats who've never been around a dog, let alone one who views them as snack food. At least they will be able to go downstairs to get away from Cassie and we have a gate across the stairs that even Horus can't open - not that he ahsn't tried...

MadMom_'s picture

(post #57237, reply #126 of 127)

I was always a "dog" person, until we bought a home and inherited a stray cat that the previous owners fed. "Kitty" became a part of our family (my husband was still working in another state...he believes cats should be...well, let's say that he and Mean probably agree on cats). I really fell in love with her. My younger DD has always had both cats and dogs, and they always get along. Right now she has two great Danes, one king doberman, and five cats (one of whom thinks she is a dog). I've never seen the cat vs. dog problem with her animals. Don't know if that's because it's just a myth, or if it's due to the way she expects them to behave. Hope you do well with your new additions to the family. For some reason, I expect Cassie and Horus to ignore them, and we all know that cats are experts at ignoring anything and anyone, so perhaps all will get along famously.

RuthAnn's picture

(post #57237, reply #127 of 127)

weeeeellll, we'll find out, as DH is picking them up tonight. Horus loves cats - he was raised with a nasty Siamese that beat the crap out of him daily. Cassie is incapable of ignoring anything save me calling her when it's time for them to go into the sunroom. We tried a kitten thinking she might mother it and that she'd get used to it. No. She stalked that poor little thing, who thought "I'll just make myself very small and still and that big scary white thing will go awa-mmmmphhhh!" Luckily, I was right there and rescued the kitten before Cassie could find out just how well he fit in her mouth. The cats are big enough and smart enough to get away, and will be able to escape downstairs. Wish me luck, I'll need it. Especially since DH will be gone all day tomorrow, leaving me home with 2 pissed off cats, one frantic dog, one interested dog, and a toddler. Maybe we'll go to the beach....