NEW! Google Custom Search

Fine cooking issue 115-feb/mar 2012 -cinnamon swirl raisin bread

2house67's picture

Has anyone made the above recipe?  I found it very difficult to knead in the raisins.  I had raisins flying all over.  It is in oven now so don't know it turned out.  Josie

Josie
GretchenTHEFIRST's picture

I find when adding "things"

I find when adding "things" like raisins or nuts or seeds it is better to do it before you make the last addition of flour--while the dough is a bit wet and things will mix in well.

wonderbread's picture

Very sound advise I'll have

Very sound advise I'll have to try that next time thanks

Pielove's picture

flying raisins

Hi Josie--  I made this recipe and it was really yummy.  I didn't have much trouble with the raisins, but I had it in a really deep bowl.  There were a lot of raisins-- I could see how it might be trouble-- and I love your description of flying raisins.  I'm curious to know what you thought about the amount of cinnamon.

Cheers, Jen

2house67's picture

Flying raisins

Hi,

My recipe was also yummy.  I liked the cinnamon that was mixed in with the flour, but I did not use all of the cinnamon sugar mix (I was too busy dodging the raisins).  Next time I will use all the cinnamon mixture and mix it in a large bowl (not on the counter like last time).   Maybe I will try adding the raisins while it is still in bowl with dough hook.

Did you find there was too much cinnamon?

Josie

Josie
Pielove's picture

cinnamon

Hey Josie!  I used half the cinnamon and found it plenty spicy-- I am totally craving this bread again!

Jen

2house67's picture

Cinnamon bread

Me too!

Josie
Pielove's picture

flying raisins

Hey Josie, I've got two loaves in the 'fridge and will bake them in the morning-- yum!  My daughter enjoyed painting on the butter and sprinkling the cinnamon sugar, but won't try the bread-- raisins, ew.  Maybe she'll change her mind once she smells them baking-- or not, she is seven!

I propose we re-name this recipe "Josie's Flying Raisin Bread".  What do you think?  Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers, Jen

2house67's picture

Great idea!  Rofl! I will

Great idea!  Rofl!

I will make it again tomorrow.

Josie

Josie
Pielove's picture

Yum

Here it is, Josie's flying raisin bread!  The house smells great!

(And on an unrelated note, I think I figured out how to embed images from Flickr into a post-- can you see this?)

Cheers, Jen

2house67's picture

The picture looks great!

The picture looks great!  Mine was not as pretty.

Josie

Josie
2house67's picture

The picture looks great!

Josie

Josie
2house67's picture

The picture looks great!

Josie

Josie
2house67's picture

Oops!  Too many taps!

Oops!  Too many taps!

Josie
2house67's picture

Cinnamon swirl bread

Hi,

At what point of the bread making process do you put the dough in frig?  Josie

Josie
Pielove's picture

refrigerate

Hi Josie!  Thanks, I'm glad the photo worked!

As for refrigerating, I put it in the 'fridge right after shaping it, then took it out in the morning and let it rise for about an hour and a half-- it worked out well.  Would not work to make fresh bread for breakfast though-- unless someone was up a lot earlier than everyone else!

Cheers, Jen

2house67's picture

Thankyou! Josie

Thankyou!

Josie

Josie
Dashx's picture

Raisin Bread

I saved the recipe to make next week, and have now changed the name to Josie's Flying Raisin Bread!

and Pielove, the picture is great!

Yum, indeed.

Pielove's picture

bread

...have now changed the name to Josie's Flying Raisin Bread!...

Where's the like button?  Do report back on the bread too!

Cheers, Jen

2house67's picture

Finally, I'm famous! I made

Finally, I'm famous!

I made the recipe again yesterday and used the full amount of cinnamon.  I prefer it with less cinnamon, about half.

I added the raisins when dough was still in mixer with dough hook. The raisins were much more contained!

Josie

Josie