NEW! Google Custom Search

Apple Pie

2house67's picture

Apple Pie (post #69681)

in

A question re apple pie:

How thick or thin do you slice your apples for apple pie?  I have been using my mandolin on the thickest setting, but I think it is still too thin. Before I got my mandolin I always sliced by hand and I think the apples stayed firmer.  Any thoughts on this?

Josie

Josie
Pielove's picture

about 1/4 inch....

...but I like my apples to be nice and soft in pie. I've seen people do pies with half-inch chunks of apple too. What variety of apple are you using? That will have a significant impact too. pie
2house67's picture

Apple pie

I have been slicing them about 1/8 inch (thickest setting on my mandolin). 

I like my apples soft also, but lately the pie has been pretty mushy.  The last pie was made with crispin and royal gala.  I used to use granny smith and think the pie was firmer.  Josie

Josie
Jean's picture

Apple Pie

I like bigger chunks, minimum 1/2" --otherwise it's applesauce pie--then why bother with the crust?

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
2house67's picture

apple pie

I will try larger chunks.  My pies lately have been called Apple pie crisp, because the apples were so mushy. Thanks. Josie

Josie
Marie Louise's picture

1/4 inch

I'm with Jean-no applesauce pie for me.

I saute my apples in butter first. I'm sure I've posted the recipe here before, probably only Schnitzel could find it. Let me know if you want it. 

I use a variety of apples, 6 or so in a pie. There is a wonderful vendor at a local farmer's market who mixes varieties of apples for you, based on your answers to the questions she asks. The best pies ever, and a great marketing ploy, because I never remember what she's sold me. That way I have to go to her stall every time I want to bake a pie. Clever, huh?

Sigh, now I want an apple pie and the October apple harvest is a long way off. 

2house67's picture

apple pie recipe

Yes, I would love your recipe.  Thanks.  Josie

Josie
Marie Louise's picture

Marie's Apple Pie

Here you go, Josie- 

Apple Pie

Makes 1 double crust nine-inch pie. Start 7 or 8 hours before you want to eat it.

1 recipe Pate Brisée (or any double crust pie recipe)

4½ pounds apples, peeled, cored & sliced a little thicker than ¼ inch (want 10 to 12 cups)                 

4 tablespoons butter

2/3 cup white sugar

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1½ teaspoons cinnamon

¼ teaspoon allspice

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

¼ tespoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400º w/ a rack positioned in lower third of the oven.

To make the filling:

Mix the sugars, spices and salt together. Set aside-note that this does not go in until after the apples have cooked for a while.

In a 12-inch sauté pan, heat the butter over high heat until it is fragrant & sizzling. Add the apples & toss until glazed w/ butter. Reduce the heat to medium, cover tightly, and cook, stirring frequently, until the apples are softened on the outside but still slightly crunchy–about 5 to 7 minutes.

Stir in the sugar mixture. Increase heat to high & cook the apples at a rapid boil until the juices become thick & syrupy, about 3 minutes.

Immediately spread out thinly on a cookie sheet to cool to room temperature.

To assemble pie & bake:

Roll out dough & place bottom crust into a 9-inch deep pie pan (I like Emile Henry.) Spoon room temperature apple mixture into the bottom crust. Roll out top crust & place on top.  Lift up edge of the bottom dough and fold top dough underneath it to make a seal. Crimp edge as desired. Cut 8 small slits in top to allow steam to escape.

Place pie on foil‑lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is richly browned & the filling has begun to bubble.

Let cool completely on a rack, 3 to 4 hours. The pie is best served promptly, but will keep at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.

adapted from The Joy of Cooking

2house67's picture

Apple pie recipe

Thanks very much Marie!

Josie

Josie
2house67's picture

Apple pie

Hi Marie,

I just made your recipe for apple pie.  It was delicious - the best I have made.  I did have my doubts when I saw that there was no flour, or thickening agent, but it had the perfect consistency.  I also cut my apples by hand and made them thicker than usual. 

The only flaw was that it does not keep 2-3 days!  Three of us ate it in one day!  Thanks again.  Josie

Josie
Lost Queen's picture

This loooooks so good!

This loooooks so good!

ruthmoore's picture

Post your recipe

I think it would be best if you also post your recipe (again) on this thread so we can also try it out like Marie's. :)

Memsahib's picture

Desperately seeking help

Sorry to jump in like this.  Have been away and as a result of more than one senior moment, I have forgotten how to create a new post.  More importantly, I hope you or someone reading this can tell me if they remember a post for "Raggedys", a cookie that a new member posted quite a while back.  I love the recipe but  have lost it.  If you can help me out and forgive that this post has nothing to do with apple pie, I would be so grateful. 

To one who shares food it is sugar

To one who eats alone it is a toad

Punjabi Proverb

Jean's picture

I reposted it in the other

I reposted it in the other forum. :)

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Memsahib's picture

"Raggedys" cookies

Got it and thank you.  Replied to you  in the other forum.

To one who shares food it is sugar

To one who eats alone it is a toad

Punjabi Proverb