NEW! Google Custom Search

cookies in a jar -rock solid brown sugar

lobsterwoman's picture

For the first time, I made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies in a jar to give away as gifts.  I layered first the flour, then brown sugar, white sugar, chocolate chips, and last oatmeal.  It looked beautiful.  I designed my own "cookies for santa" instruction card and tied it all in a beautiful bow.  I have already given many away.  I made the cookies before I put them into the jar, and they were great. 

Today, I went to bake one of my jars (5 days old).   I was surprised when I went to dump the contents of the jar out.  The brown sugar was like a rock.  I had to dig it out with a fork, and break it up with my hands - which just made smaller rocks.  I used an electric beater to mix the jar contents with butter and egg, but I had to beat it to death to break up the rocks of brown sugar.  Eventually, I made the cookies, and they were good. 

Is this normal with cookies in a jar that use brown sugar as a layer?   Any advice?

Thanks,   Linda

toonses's picture

you can put brown sugar on low heat in the oven to soften it. if you put it on parchment paper it is easier to get off.

ADodge's picture

hi again lobsterwoman..
Brown sugar can and is problematic, isn't it! But I love the sound of your gift so don't give it up! It sounds to me like your jar isn't air tight - that will cause the br sugar to harden up.
I think if you switch your vessel to one with a secure rubber seal or a clear plastic bag that's heat-sealable (you can still do your pretty layers), you'll have better results.

lobsterwoman's picture

Thank you so much for your replies.  This site is Incredible!!  I've been a big fan of Fine Cooking for years, but this question and answer forum puts it over the top!!  Thanks again for your tips.   Linda

ADodge's picture

we're always here for you and happy to help.
Have a lovely holiday season!