NEW! Google Custom Search

Jillsifer's picture

I was hoping to make some pierogi (pierogis?) for Sunday's Steelers game. Anybody got a reliable, relatively manageable recipe? I've googled and snipped a few, but will defer to any experts/veterans here--I've never made them before.

TIA and GO, STILLERS!

http://www.hawkeyefaunce.com/personallinks.html

January: the dead zone

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

KitchenWitch's picture

I've only made them once, and it was a production. don't recall what recipe I used - probably one from my ancient Meta Given's Encyclopedia of Modern Cooking. (it was a long time ago, before I discovered CT)

I'm sorry to say, it's one of those things that's easier to buy (at least for me)

GO STILLERS!!!!!

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

Jean's picture

I've never made them either, but I did have this dough recipe saved. DBMNMR

* Exported from MasterCook *

Josephine's Pierogi Dough Free PressMay 23, 2007

12            ounces  cake flour (about 21/2 cups)
  1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
  2              whole  eggs
  2                     egg yolks
  2        tablespoons  sour cream
  1 1/2      teaspoons  milk
  2        tablespoons  olive oil
  1              ounce  butter -- (2 tablespoons)
                        Filling of choice
     1/4           cup  clarified butter for frying

In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt.

In another bowl mix together the eggs, egg yolks, sour cream, milk and olive oil.

Cut the butter into the flour by hand until it resembles a coarse meal. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Mix by hand by scraping flour into well with one hand, and reshaping the flour on the outside with the other hand. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out 3-inch circles. Do not reroll scraps of dough.

Place a small spoonful of filling of choice slightly off center. Moisten the edge of the dough with water, and fold it over, pressing the edge firmly with the tines of a folk to prevent leaking.

Working in batches, drop the pierogis into the boiling salted water. Cook gently for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they float to the top. Lift out with a slotted spoon, and place on a drying rack.

Heat clarified butter in a large sauté pan. Working in batches, sauté the pierogi on each side until lightly browned.

24 servings.

From Josephine Polcyn, Milford. Tested by Susan Selasky for the Free Press Test

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Carole4's picture

I wish I had my DH's grandmother's recipe. She never wrote it down, but when we went over for them, they were fabulous. I bet if you get on a Polish or Russian site(she was Polish, married to a Russian), you could get a good authentic recipe. I used to buy them from a church and they were great. The potato and sauerkraut ones were the best.

Don't forget the sour cream and onions.

KitchenWitch's picture

and bacon!

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

Carole4's picture

Oooh, forgot that bacon!

teebee's picture

Would you please expand on what you do with the bacon? I am thinking fry it with the pierogi after boiling them.. Now I am in the mood and will make my first attempt at homemade pierogi this week. I found a recipe in a book called "Good Old Food" by Irene Chalmers. I have made several recipes, but not this one. It calls for kielbasa as part of the filling (1/4 lb) in with the potato. I may try that one. My grandfather used to get pierogi from some shop in Pittsburgh, but they had some kind of cheese in the middle. They were my favorite.

Jillsifer's picture

Would you please expand on what you do with the bacon? I am thinking fry it with the pierogi after boiling them.

RuthAnn will know TONS more about this than I do, but I cooked some bacon ahead of time and tossed it in with the potato filling in mine.

Because, of course, nothing is better than a wad of cheesey, potato-y dough EXCEPT a wad of cheesy, potato-y dough that contains bacon!

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving

KitchenWitch's picture

while the pierogi are boiling, fry up a bunch of chopped bacon and onions. brown the pierogi in the bacon fat with the onions and bacon. (you can remove the bacon if it is getting too done before adding the pierogi.)

dang. now I want pierogi.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

teebee's picture

Okay, thanks, I will do that. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Jillsifer's picture

That's the recipe I ended up using. I overworked the dough JUST a titch, but can improve on that next time. Otherwise they worked out really well and everybody loved them. Thanks for posting it. We're SURE that a bunch of Southern Californians sitting around eating pierogi (does the plural get an "s" or not? somebody?) helped spur our Steelers on to victory!

http://www.hawkeyefaunce.com/personallinks.html

-- Washington Irving

KitchenWitch's picture

Pierogi is plural. 

Pieróg
is the singular, at least in Polish.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

PreviewAttachmentSize
steelers2.gif
steelers2.gif630 bytes
Jillsifer's picture

Pierogi is plural. 

Thank you. My dad spoke fluent Polish and never taught me a WORD. Still steaming about that.

-- Washington Irving

teebee's picture

"My dad spoke fluent Polish and never taught me a WORD."
My grandmother spoke Polish, but only when she was really mad at my grandfather. So I know (or used to know) some Polish, only it's words you'd probably rather not know...

teebee's picture

That is so funny that you made pierogi for the Steelers game! Three years ago when they won Superbowl XL, I had (my mom's) homemade pierogi every weekend. I just now saw your post, or would have called my mom for her recipe (she's half Polish, half Italian).

Go Steelers! DS (he's 9) had a tough time choosing which jersey to wear today, finally settling on #10 in honor of the punt return touchdown.

Jillsifer's picture

DS (he's 9) had a tough time choosing which jersey to wear today

Good choice. My son wore his #10/Santonio Holmes to CHURCH (gasp!) yesterday, which we really . . . ummmmm . . . don't do. Today I think he wore #86/Ward to school. (We're close enough to San Diego that there was a lot of taunting going on among his friends over this game.)

I GOTTA get a Franco Harris jersey for me one of these days. He and I have the same birthday (as does Lynn Swann). Well, not the same year, but the same day. Doesn't that justify my spending big bucks on ol' #32?

-- Washington Irving

teebee's picture

Oh, yes, you need a Franco jersey. I don't have any actual jerseys now, had a Rocky Bleier #20 back in junior high.

I met Lynn Swann on my 40th birthday. He was running for governor of PA that year and campaigning at our county fair. My kids were both in Steelers shirts and hats, so I got a picture of them with him. They didn't know who he was, so I explained that he was to me what Jerome Bettis is to them. DD asked if he was as good as Bettis, and I explained that he was, only he played WR.

DS had money to spend after Christmas, and we were at my sis's in Pgh, so we went to every Dick's Sporting Goods between Pgh and Grove City looking for a Heath Miller jersey in a medium. Finally found one at the Steelers' store in the Grove City outlets.

MadMom's picture

Way back when I was a senior in college, a gentleman who was an All American halfback at West Point came down to see me, and to spend the weekend at my Mom and Dad's house.  He left his football jersey in the bathroom, and I was absolutely thrilled...until my mother called out "Oh, Bob, you left your jersey."  I could have killed her, but then, I was young way back then, and having a real West Point football jersey from an All American would have been way too cool.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

rosie t's picture

I'm glad you all enjoyed them. I moved to the Baltimore area 6 years ago from the D.C. area. Now I'm  in Ravens territory and I can't stand them. I'm probably the only one in the neighborhood cheering for the Steelers. My #1 team are the Redskins and the Steelers are my second fav. My Mother is from Canonsburg, Pa. 

TracyK's picture

I didn't know (or I had forgotten, I am kind of clueless) you were in the area!

Have you seen our thread about getting together for a DC/VA/MD mini-fest sometime in March? The more the merrier!

"The happy StairMaster president is on his way to a mansionette in Dallas, to be the decider of where to put the sofa."
                                                            --Garrison Keillor

Edited 1/12/2009 4:22 pm ET by TracyK

rosie t's picture

I use to live in Rockville. Now I'm in the Baltimore/Annapolis area.  I'll keep an eye on the thread for more info. Sounds like you all have a good time so I am looking forward to it. Thanks

teebee's picture

My grandmother and uncle grew up in Canonsburg. Perry Como grew up down the street.

rosie t's picture

My Grandmothers house is on Chartiers Avenue right off Perry Como Street. My Mothers maiden name was Mantalis. She and her brother and sister went to Canon McMillan High School.

KitchenWitch's picture

yunz guys are making me homesick.

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

Jillsifer's picture

What if we look at festing in Pittsburgh sometime say . . . oh, spring 2010 or so? Give people time to plan and save. Whaddya think?

(BTW, if we do this, I'm up for Primanti Brothers ANYTIME of the day or night, and so is G.)

-- Washington Irving

TracyK's picture

I would love to do that... I was actually born in Pittsburgh, but we moved when I was just four months old and I've never been back.

"The happy StairMaster president is on his way to a mansionette in Dallas, to be the decider of where to put the sofa."
                                                            --Garrison Keillor

rosie t's picture

My Mom moved from Pa. 55 years ago and still says yunz. And calls soda "pop".

evelyn's picture

mantalis? Greek?

Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next.

In life, learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.
rosie t's picture

Yes definitely Greek. Both of my parents are from Rhodes.

evelyn's picture

have you ever been?

Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next.

In life, learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.