NEW! Google Custom Search

Orange Cream Roulade

Gary's picture

Orange Cream Roulade (post #65217)

in

This was today's project. A flourless almond sponge cake, filled with orange-flavored Chantilly cream and Mandarin orange slices. Garnished with orange-flavored Chantilly cream and Mandarin orange slices.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

MadMom's picture

Do you just enjoy taunting us?  I waaaaaaannnnt a slice of that!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Gary's picture

If I were taunting you, I'd show you a picture of a Bagatelle.

Two layers of Chiffon sponge cake with a layer of strawberries embedded in Swiss-style mousseline cream topped with marzipan.

PreviewAttachmentSize
P1010058a.jpg
P1010058a.jpg473.32 KB
ACG's picture

It would be prettier without those starving dogs on top.

ashleyd's picture

I love the Bagatelle! It's a favourite in our house and is easier to make than it looks.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

gebakje's picture

these cakes are beautiful, Gary!! What class are you taking?

Gary's picture

I'm a student in the baking and pastry program at Schoolcraft College.

gebakje's picture

is this in the United States or Canada?  How long is your program.?

Gary's picture

Schoolcraft College is located in Livonia, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. The program I am in is two semesters long: one each of pastry and baking. I am fortunate in that I am being taught by the first certified master pastry chef in the USA and one of only 25 in the world. He was a member of the United States team that took third place in the 1995 Coupe du Monde de la Patisserie World Pastry Cup in Lyon, France.

gebakje's picture

wow...that sounds great...although it doesn't help if I live in Ontario.  Sounds like a great program. Are you in the program for the fun of it or do you have your own bakery? Is it an intense program.?  Enjoy it.

Gary's picture

Just for interest and entertainment. The class meets 5 hours a day for 4 days a week. Plus there are adult ed classes and special events that I volunteer for. Because of his pedigree, the Chef pushes us hard too. We've had 1 of the 16 students drop out after last week's midterm and there were two students nearly in tears after Friday's session.

PeterDurand's picture

Drool...

Better life through Zoodles and poutine...

bjb0777's picture

Dazzling!! barb

gardencat's picture

That looks great! I'm sure it tastes just as good. Well done!

ashleyd's picture

Immaculate though it is, do I detect that this part of the course has a slight obsession with roulade/swiss roll type things?

Jean's picture

Practice makes perfect, and by George, I think he's got it!

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
                                               - Cicero  - 55 BC
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
ashleyd's picture

No doubt about that.

Gary's picture

How about something linear? My classmate did this today. It is a strip form of a Gateau St. Honore. The bottom is puff pastry and the sides are chocolate whipped cream-filled profiteroles that are then dipped in caramel. The middle is filled with 3 rows of piped whipped cream: chocolate, vanilla, and banana.

PreviewAttachmentSize
P1010061a.jpg
P1010061a.jpg502.57 KB
MadMom's picture

I give up.  I think I just gained 97 pounds.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

kathymcmo's picture

I dunno, but I'm starting to develop an obsession after seeing so many tempting photos of them.

Gary's picture

No, it's just that we have a restaurant that the school runs to supply with desserts all weekend so I made two of the roulades. One was used for the Charlotte Royale I posted previously and the other for the Orange Cream Roulade.

FL.Cook's picture

That, is a piece of art!!

Carole

Carole
RuthWells's picture

Beautiful, Gary!

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabId=1182&ParticipantID=316&Type=1

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

butterscotch's picture

Oh, Gary, it's gorgeous, and I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks.

SuB's picture

Wow, nice work! 

Could you tell us a bit more about the flourless almond sponge cake?  It sounds really good, maybe a notch above plain sponge cake...  Any chance you could share the recipe? How was it to make, difficult?  Did it roll &/or handle easily?  And most important, did you like the taste?

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

Edited 10/10/2009 3:40 am by SuB

Cheers, Sue B.

Gary's picture

As you can see, pretty easy to make and not much can go wrong. It needs to be frozen to depan so it doesn't tear. I've not made this using small sheet pans so it may handle better in that case. It isn't supposed to have much taste. It is a vehicle for fillings and toppings. Almonds, while giving it some flavor, are there primarily to make it flourless.

Flourless Almond Sponge

Yields: two full sheet pans

Ingredients Amounts

Egg yolks (28)
Sugar, divided 2 C and 1 C

Egg whites (28)

Ground almonds 4 C

Method:
In a 5 quart mixer, combine the egg yolks and 2 C sugar and begin whipping on high speed.
When the yolks are very light and ribbony, begin whipping the egg whites in a 12 quart mixer with a whip.
When the whites are ¾ whipped, gently rain in 1 C granulated sugar and continue to whip on high speed to firm moist peaks.
Place the whipped yolks in a large moon bowl and fold in the finely ground almonds. Immediately fold in the meringue all at once.
Cover two very flat, full sheet pans with parchment which is then sprayed lightly with pan grease and floured.
Divide the sponge batter into the 2 pans and spread evenly.
Bake on hearth at 350° F for 20-25 min until dark golden brown.
Cover with clean towels and cool.
Store tightly wrapped and freeze.
Depan while frozen.

Edited 10/10/2009 12:01 pm ET by Gary

SuB's picture

Thanks very much Gary.  I would not have thought to freeze the sponge to avoid tearing -- I learn something new here every day!  The roulade is spectacular.

Cheers, Sue B.

Cheers, Sue B.

courgette's picture

How do you roll it with so much cream in it and still have it stay even and not all squish out?

Looks amazing.

Mo

Gary's picture

Thanks.

The cream is spread on the sheet so it is thicker in the middle and tapered towards the edges. There is a 1" border where there is no cream.

chiquiNO's picture

OHHHH MY Dear friend!!!  You're doing so great in school!!!!  I KNOW you're having a ball and I'm wondering how you don't gain any weight!!!!  Fabulous job...keep sharing those pictures...you're so inspiring!!

wonka's picture

Thanks for sharing the recipe Gary. I'm always happy to find another recipe that is gluten free.