NEW! Google Custom Search

Cake Flour Sub

roz's picture

Cake Flour Sub (post #65186)

in

I cannot get cake flour. Will using the AP flour plus corn starch work as a substitute? Will the cake still be too dense or will the crumb be just as light as using cake flour?

I know there is a protein difference. All you bakers, have you ever been in the AP flour and no cake flour bind?

Thanks!

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
Gary's picture

Substitute 7/8 cup all-purpose flour for each cup of cake flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for every 7/8 cup all-purpose flour used. Cakes made with all purpose flour tend to be less delicate and crumbly. May also be some slight color difference as cake flour is bleached.

The best things in life aren't things.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music and haggis and called it food.

roz's picture

Thanks, Gary. Since I have no alternative, I used the AP flour. I put two tbsp. cornstarch in a one cup measure, then gently spooned in the APFlour. I hope it works, even somewhat.

TracyK's picture

I've never used cake flour, all my cakes turn out beautifully. I don't think it's necessary, at least not for standard butter cakes.

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor

roz's picture

I was hoping to hear from you as I remembered you stated in the past that you only use only AP Flour for your baking needs. The AP flour here must be a slightly different protein content, as cakes seem heavier to me, with less of a delicate crumb. I could be imagining this.

Cake is in the oven, and I'll test tomorrow!

MrsM's picture

I use bleached AP flour whenever a recipe calls for cake flour. I have tried cake flour repeatedly in different recipes, and they don't turn out for me. The bleached AP has a higher protein content than cake flour, but slightly less than cake flour, so I feel that is a good compromise and my cakes turn out beautifully with the bleached AP flour. If you can only get unbleached AP, that works for me as well.

roz's picture

I made the cake....creamed the butter until light and fluffy, added the sugar (caster or very fine cane sugar) and beat well. Then added the room temperature eggs one at a time. Sifted the flour, baking powder three times. Added third of the flour, mixed. Added half the milk and mixed. Repeated with the flour and milk. Added the vanilla. Poured into buttered, floured, parchmented pans and baked at 350F for 25 min.

Not as high as I would have wanted the layers to be....the layers were slightly heavy. I think I did everything correct. The baking powder was new....

I think it is my flour. I have sent out emails to all my daughters hoping they'll make a cake and let me know how they get on with it. The cake tasted good, just not light and crumby.