NEW! Google Custom Search

Rose's Heavenly Cakes

Canuck's picture

Oooh, I want this! It's not out until next month though. I'm adding it to my list.

Thanks!

courgette's picture

I made a cake from this book last winter. She has posted on her blog/newletter. i forget what it was, but I remember it was yummy!

Mo

Canuck's picture

Good! I can't wait to see the book.

Lee's picture

I've been waiting for it to come out ever since she first mentioned it on her blog.  I just pre-ordered it.  Thanks for the heads up!

RheaS's picture

I've never had the desire to make Red Velvet Cake before, but the sample recipe is tempting.

sarahendipity's picture

I just got an e-mail that my copy has shipped from Amazon.ca.

I spilled my GORP on Mt. Baldy.

I spilled my GORP on Mt. Baldy.

Rae's picture

I can't wait to get the book!

RuthWells's picture

The gal who baked her way through Rose's Bread Bible has an advance copy of Rose's Heavenly Cakes and is baking and blogging her way through it -- for those who are interested.

http://www.heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

MadMom's picture

I absolutely refuse to look!  Rose is such a little slip of a thing, and I would weigh 500 lbs if I tried to bake everything in her book!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Marcia's picture

I am under the impression that RLB eats sparingly. Some can and some cannot. I'm under the cannot category, although sweets are not my downfall.

Amy's picture

I've been following along and was going to post a link... you beat me to it :)

Lee's picture

Thanks for posting the link.  That cheesecake has me literally salivating.  My book is on it's way!

bwf17's picture

Where did you buy it?  Amazon siad it is not yet released.

Lee's picture

I ordered it from Jessica's, but I missed the part where it says it's on order.  The confirmation email doesn't say anything about it not being available, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get it with the other book that's being sent or if it will come later. :(

bwf17's picture

Everywhere I checked it is only available after October, but you may get lucky.

kitchengoddess's picture

I was in Buffalo over the weekend and they had a copy at Borders.  I salivated for a bit and then put it back on the shelf.  She puts out such beautiful books. 

I really wanted it but decided to wait...budgeting sucks!

bwf17's picture

It certainly does.....I am definitely a sweet goddess so I had to have it.

helena1's picture

Okay, for all of you still in doubt about this book: you really need this book. I got is last week, and I think it is my new favourite cake book. I really have a lot of books, but I do think this is exceptionally good. The pictures are beautiful, there are many recipes that are actually very appeling (I'm usually only drawn to a limited number of recipes in a book), the baking method is straightforward, not fussy and a lot more user-friendly than the cake bible IMO. You won't be sorry, I promise :o)

Jean's picture

Stop it--all of you. I swore I wouldn't buy another cookbook--I have too many already that I haven't cooked from. Time to start going through them again.

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
      I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
helena1's picture

You know, I have a lot of books that I ordered and then thought I really shouldn't have because there really was nothing new in them. But I truly, truly loved this one. But maybe you don't need it, LOL!

Marcia's picture

You really shouldn't swear, Jean. It's not ladylike. :-)

It's my impression that you need this book. Now you can swear. LOL

bwf17's picture

I Needed it and Love it too.

Marcia's picture

Good for you. :)

bwf17's picture

Cake & Wine...what a combo.....LOL

Sondra's picture

Resistance is futile, Jean.  Mine's on its way.....

bwf17's picture

Congrats, you will love it....honestly it is one of the most beautiful and most well explained book I have.

gardencat's picture

I thought I did not need it either, but was "convinced" by everyone here. I'm very glad and I look forward to making several of the recipes for upcoming events!

RheaS's picture

I finally bought this book yesterday and I baked a cake as soon as I got it home. The first recipe I tried is the Apple-Cinnamon Crumb Cake except that it ended up being Plum-Cardamom Crumb Cake. It came together quickly, very tender and not too sweet. I unfortunately forgot to take a picture because I was running late for my dad's extra-special 71st birthday (survived an emergency triple bypass earlier this summer). I'm fairly sure that I will be baking another cake tonight after work if I can decide on a recipe.

Barbara Jo's Books to Cooks here in Vancouver is having its annual book sale (25% off most everything). Resistance was futile the moment I walked in plus I brought a list, so I ended up with 5 books: Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Macrina Bakery and Cafe Cookbook, A16: Food + Wine, Platter of Figs, and Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China. I had other books on my list, but they weren't in stock.

Adele's picture

I went a little internet shopping crazy yesterday and I also have it on the way. 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Sondra's picture

Wow, you did good!  And without any extra enabling, lol.

I just received Rose's Heavenly Cakes, and the crumb cake caught my eyes.  As did nearly everything in the book.  Good grief!  This one is headed to a James Beard award AND an IACP award.

Thanks for the review, I think I'll try the crumb cake first. (Assume you did plum/cardamon because you had the ingredients in the pantry.)