NEW! Google Custom Search

White Spot Blueberry Pie

Heather's picture

Here's one for all you BC people. I have a friend who went to Vancouver/Victoria recently and came home raving about the fresh blueberry pie at the White Spot. She hoped I had the secret to its perfection.

I've never had it but I told her it was probably due to the fact that the area has the world's best blueberries and she was there in the middle of blueberry season.

Has anyone there eaten this pie? If so, do you have any insights as to how it is made?

Marcia's picture

I thought the best blueberries were in Down East Maine. :-) They have amazing blueberry and raspberry pies there, too. They are chock full of berries and little else, but I don't know the secret.

unbaked's picture

Your guess is probably right. Best ingredients=best result.

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

shywoodlandcreature's picture

It's been a long time since I was in a White Spot, but I used to love their boysenberry pie - I wonder if that's what your friend had? In any event, I don't know, but I sure would love the answer. (

"And then, because of the transitive reactive Halstead-era seizing properties of the Aboriginal Double Humpback Turtle, I thought, what if I add one teaspoon of clarified monkey paste?" Anonymous blog comment on "America's Test Kitchen"

Heather's picture

It was a fresh blueberry pie.

Glenys's picture

The annoying commercials say a Legendary Burger, sleeve of ale and famous blueberry pie for $10.99.

I don't watch television commercials so that one passed me right by. Thanks. I may just pop into WS and try a slice.

"And then, because of the transitive reactive Halstead-era seizing properties of the Aboriginal Double Humpback Turtle, I thought, what if I add one teaspoon of clarified monkey paste?" Anonymous blog comment on "America's Test Kitchen"

Glenys's picture

Radio my dear, not television. I listen to CKNW in the morning.

CBC here

Glenys's picture

Can't listen to CBC when I'm trying to wake up, just too slow.

Heather's picture

Be sure to let me know what you think if you try a slice.

I will. As I've said though, it's been years since I last ate at  a White Spot.

Heather's picture

Every time we visited home with our children through the 70s and 80s we had to go to the White Spot for the pirate ships. Once they grew up we've only been back one time, and I got a terrible upset stomach.

I may be the only person in British Columbia who actually gags on their famous Triple O sauce. Blechhh...

Heather's picture

I'll bet you are not the only one!

Valley's picture

No you are not the only one.

Whew! I was afraid I was going to have to turn in my West Coaster credentials... (BTW, hope you're enjoying the rain. Sure looks good to me.)

Valley's picture

Me too.  Who ever thought we would be happy to see so much rain in Vancouver. They say it won't help the forest fires.  At least the garden won't need to be watered this week but I guess it will play havoc with the flowers.  I know I feel much better.

Glenys's picture

Since we're the largest producer of blueberries in the world, and it's the middle of blueberry season, chances are the pie works because of the berries. The berries are very large and firm, so they do hold up in baking better than some.

smslaw's picture

Since we're the largest producer of blueberries in the world

You call those bloated imposters blueberries? Everyone knows the only real blueberries are grown in Maine.

Ditto: lobster.

:-)

If you haven't tried chocolate ice cream with blueberry pie, do.

madnoodle's picture

I agree with the bloated imposters bit, but you've got the second part wrong:  real blueberries grow wild in northern Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Quilter's picture

And B.C.

madnoodle's picture

I'm sure you're right.  I haven't had the good fortune to pick blueberries in BC, but I bow to your northern knowledge.

unbaked's picture

Won't the ale leak out of a sleeve (ducking and running)?

Glenys's picture

Did a bit of research and found it's made en masse by The Original Cakerie here on Annacis Island. It's a single crust tart, with berries and a glaze to seal. My guess is prebaked crust, simmered thickened berries poured in to the crust, set and sealed.

Heather's picture

Thanks Glenys, you always have the answer!
I'll tell her that she has to move to BC and buy local berries to reproduce the pie.

EllaJean's picture

Speaking of pies, have you (or any others from the Vancouver area) ever had pie at the Savory Pie Company in West Vancouver? We stopped at this great little eatery for lunch on our way to Vancouver Island and had the best grilled chicken basil sandwich - all I can say is you don't want to be watching your calorie intake when you eat there. We didn't try their famous pie and did not feel like purchasing one for $24.00 to $26.00 when I make my own for so much less. On our way home we purchased blueberries from Abbotsford - sweet, juicy, delicious and have been enjoying blueberry pie, jam, pancakes etc.

JillElise's picture

They make great blueberry milkshakes! But I think it's with the usual blueberry stuff, certainly not fresh.