NEW! Google Custom Search

Dark Chocolate Petite Baking Squares

Madeleine's picture

I recently bought a 5 lb. bag of Scharffenberger Dark Chocolate Petite baking squares for a very good price but I'm afraid I am not so sure about how to use the little squares. I can't figure out how many squares would be equal to an ounce. I just made a recipe for molten cakes from Nigella Lawson that called for 12 oz. of chocolate. I used my kitchen scale, but I don't know how accurate that was. The cakes were really almost too chocolaty. I never used this recipe before and I really want to make these molten cakes at home. I have not been successful so far. I thought 12 oz. seemed like a lot of chocolate for 6 small cakes, but maybe I'm weighing it wrong? Anyone have some experience with these petite baking squares? Or is it possible that 70% was just too dark for these cakes?
Any help out there?
Thanks!Madeleine

Edited 4/12/2009 6:17 pm ET by Madeleine

Madeleine
FL.Cook's picture

My recipe uses 8oz for six cakes.  Here it is, and it is delish!!!

Molten Chocolate-Raspberry Cakes

8 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into tiny pieces

6 tbs unsalted butter

1/4 c strained fresh or frozen raspberry puree

2 tbs cocoa powder

3 tbs plus 2 tsp sugar

2 eggs, separated plus 1 egg white

Pinch of cream of tartar

Butter and dust with sugar the insides of 6 (6 oz) souffle cups. Chill a small plate in your freezer. Combine chocolate and butter in a saucepan and melt, stirring frequently, by setting your saucepan on a skillet of simmering water. Transfer about 5 tbs of the melted chocolate mixture into a small bowl, add the raspberry puree and 2 tsp of sugar to it and mix well. Mound the flavored chocolate mixture on the chilled plate, and put it back in the freezer for another 10 minutes or so. When the chocolate is firm enough to shape, form it into 6 truffles and return them to the freezer until ready to use.

Rewarm the remaining chocolate on simmering water until it is warm to touch. Add the cocoa powder and egg yolks, and mix to combine. Transfer the egg whites to your mixer bowl (which should be 100% grease less), add the cream of tartar and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase the speed to high, and continue beating as you gradually add the remaining 3 tbs of sugar. Stop when you achieve glossy and stiff peaks. Add about one quarter of your beaten egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold. Then add the remaining egg whites, and fold until blended. Divide half of the chocolate mixture among the 6 prepared cups. Press a truffle into each cup and cover with the remaining batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Remove the plastic wrap and place the cups on a cookie sheet. Bake 12 or 14 minutes (12 did it for me). Cakes will be slightly puffed. Take them out of the oven and let them rest for 3 minutes. Then run a knife around the sides of each cup and invert them onto serving plates. You can garnish them with raspberries, dust them with powdered sugar and/or serve them with raspberry coulis.

Note: Use standard bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate 50% through 62%

Carole
Carole
RuthWells's picture

I don't know Nigella's recipe, but 70% is on the VERY bittersweet end of the equation, and may well have been too "dark" for the recipe. When a recipe only specifies generic "dark" or "bittersweet" chocolate, I don't go any further than 65%.

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

Adele's picture

Does the bag not have individual weights on it?  (1 = 1/2 oz?)

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Madeleine's picture

No it does not say...I was surprised it did not.

Madeleine

Madeleine
MadMom's picture

What about the caloric nutrition info box?  Sometimes it will define a serving (i.e., one ounce) and tell how many of the pieces make up that serving (4 pieces).  Isn't that required?

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

knitpik's picture

According to this website they are 5 gram squares.

http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/scharffenberger.html

(Scroll down)

gardencat's picture

I've made the NL recipe with Lindt 70% and it went just fine. I'm not sure I'd go higher than that. 12 oz for 6 small cakes works out just right. I've not used the chocolate you describe, so can't comment on that.

Madeleine's picture

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought I calculated 5 grams for the squares and checked that the number that I had weighing 12 oz. on my scale was accurate so I guess I did it correctly. But I just was not pleased with the results. My daughter did not even finish hers...said it was just too intensely chocolate. I think I will try the recipe that was posted in this thread (thank you) next time, but I never used raspberry puree and am not sure where to find it.

Madeleine

Madeleine
Adele's picture

but I never used raspberry puree

Many grocery stores have frozen raspberries, so you can start there.

SuB's picture

Coincidentally, I have a note on my recipe for molten chocolate cakes to increase the sugar when using Scharffenberger bittersweet but not for Lindt 70%. I think the Scharffenberger is just very intense chocolate. 

Could you try using less chocolate, say, 10 oz.?  IIRC, I ended up dividing the recipe to make a smaller number of cakes, three at a time I think, and experimenting with the amount of sugar and chocolate until I was happy with it. 

The recipe is very forgiving, and you can keep them covered in the fridge until you're ready to bake. 

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

StevenHB's picture

My daughter did not even finish hers...said it was just too intensely chocolate.

HERESY!  This is just not possible!

Maybe we'll find direction, around some corner, where it's been waiting to meet us.

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible

Without coffee, chocolate, and beer, in that order, life as we know it would not be possible
FL.Cook's picture

Raspberry puree, is just fresh or frozen raspberries that have been pureed in a FP and put through a strainer to get all the seeds out! 

Carole

Carole
Madeleine's picture

That sounds easy enough!

Madeleine

Madeleine
wonka's picture

You cheat a bit by buying frozen raspberries in syrup, thaw and press through a sieve.