NEW! Google Custom Search

Show Us Your Cakes!

msm-s's picture

Show Us Your Cakes! (post #64745)

in

Wanna post photos of some of your best creations? With all the talent here, it would be nice to be able to have an all-occassion cake "scrapbook" to peruse for ideas. Easier to view than hunting through old threads since there is no 'image' search here (unless i am missing something).

I'll start. My recent R2D2 cake and molten planet cake for my son's 7th birthday this week.
also, an older pic of the cake i made my ex (then husband) for his first birthday since the birth of our son. I was still nursing then, which is the joke behind the concept. It's not x-rated, but be warned that there is chest-oidal imagery :-)

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.
–Jack Handey
Syrah's picture

Tracy, that is gorgeous!!

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained."
-Marie Curie
My perseverance will be rewarded.

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

kathymcmo's picture

Beautiful! The lettering is perfect, you have a steady hand.

Jean's picture

Go ahead, quit your day job!  Wow.

Sometimes I wonder--why is that Frisbee getting bigger?--and then it hits me.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
leonap's picture

Just gorgeous!

MadMom's picture

Beautiful, although the name took me back for a second!  That's my 5-year old grandson's name.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Biscuit's picture

That's adorable!  I'm really envious of your piping skills.

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

Marcia's picture

That's beautiful work, Tracy!

RuthWells's picture

Absolutely adorable, Tracy! Great design.

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

wonka's picture

Very nice.

I can make a tasty cake but don't ask me to make it look professional. That is a skill I do not possess.

You are very skilled at cake decorating, lovely work.

Sondra's picture

Good grief, beautiful and perfect, too!  Did you use American buttercream to frost cake?

TracyK's picture

Yes -- the base frosting is American buttercream (I use butter, powdered sugar, a bit of lemon juice, a healthy pinch of salt, and a little milk), the decorations are cut from fondant.

I ordered the fondant online from www.fondantsource.com, it was pretty cheap and MUCH easier than trying to tint fondant such a dark red. It's the Satin Ice brand, and it tastes SOOOO much better than the Wilton variety.

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor

CookiM0nster's picture

My latest Threadcakes entry. I'm pretty proud of this one so I thought I'd post it here for you all too.

PreviewAttachmentSize
detail2small.jpg
detail2small.jpg405 KB
detail3small.jpg
detail3small.jpg438.83 KB
monstersmall.jpg
monstersmall.jpg37.51 KB
dorcast's picture

I am in awe.
That is incredible!

leonap's picture

Wow! Incredible is right!

MadMom's picture

Oh, that's my favorite of them all!  Wonderful cake for kids, who mostly eat the icing anyway, LOL.

Not One More Day!

Sondra's picture

Holy cow!  Stunning!  Can't imagine how long that took to complete.

Marcia's picture

What is there to say but, "WOW!"? Spectacular cake...gee, there WAS something else. lol. Are the monsters fashioned out of fondant?

CookiM0nster's picture

Yes, the monsters are fondant, with shading and some other details painted on with food coloring. The cake is a mini banana loaf, which I stood on it's end and cut at a slant to make a wider base and narrower top. Even with all the fondant it stands up on its own.

Oh, and it took about 9 hours including making the cake and frosting.

Thanks everyone. I knew you all would appreciate it.

RuthWells's picture

I'm astounded that you were able to keep all that fondant vertical -- it must have been heavy!

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

Marcia's picture

Nine hours...how did you do that with CFS? How did you do it anyway, should really be the question. Amazing.

CookiM0nster's picture

I spread it out over four days. There's no way that was happening all at once.

CookiM0nster's picture

Here's the official contest entry link
http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/147

MadMom's picture

The video is so cute!  Those boys are precious!

Not One More Day!

DeannaS's picture

Totally, completely, utterly amazing. And, I love the story that goes along with it.

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." - Joan Dye Gussow

TracyK's picture

That totally rocks!! Love the video and the story. You had better win. :)

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor

CookiM0nster's picture

Did you catch Jasper's ending line? That's what made it for me.
He'd stuffed so many monsters in his mouth he couldn't swallow.

leonap's picture

You could write and illustrate a children's book on this story line. Might be a best-seller! What child hasn't had monsters under the bed or in the closet (or hogging the pillow)?

Jean's picture

I did. It was a hoot. :)

Sometimes I wonder--why is that Frisbee getting bigger?--and then it hits me.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
TracyK's picture

YES! Heeeeeeee. :)

-- Garrison Keillor

leonap's picture

Oh, I love it all the more after seeing the video and reading the story that goes along with it. Adorable boys. Don't you just love their stories? You are very talented both in design and the creation of your design. Not sure that says what I mean. Most people (most especially me) couldn't dream up the idea, let alone make it!