NEW! Google Custom Search

Show Us Your Cakes!

msm-s's picture

Show Us Your Cakes! (post #64745)

in

Wanna post photos of some of your best creations? With all the talent here, it would be nice to be able to have an all-occassion cake "scrapbook" to peruse for ideas. Easier to view than hunting through old threads since there is no 'image' search here (unless i am missing something).

I'll start. My recent R2D2 cake and molten planet cake for my son's 7th birthday this week.
also, an older pic of the cake i made my ex (then husband) for his first birthday since the birth of our son. I was still nursing then, which is the joke behind the concept. It's not x-rated, but be warned that there is chest-oidal imagery :-)

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.
–Jack Handey
CookiM0nster's picture

I LOVE it!

Quilter's picture

It's absolutely great!  Quite disgusting, but exactly what you'd expect an 8 year old to want.  Biscuit.....you make great cakes!

tones's picture

Perfect!!!

Jean's picture

I showed your cake to Rod. He's all kinds of jealous of Max and says HI.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
msm-s's picture

Yeah- I haven't shown these pix to my son who will be 8 in June. He'll love it and want one, and I don't think I'm up to making that upright shark!

Biscuit's picture

Thanks, everyone (G).  It turned out really well, and everyone loved it, including the birthday boy.

Jean, tell Rod I said Hi back - I miss him.

Msm - those shark cake-things were the easiest part.  You buy a pan called "mini-wonder mold" - which is originally used to make those Barbie cakes, remember?  The cake was conical, and you stuck a barbie in it, and the conical cake part was her dress???  Anyway, they have a MINI-version which is 4 smaller conical cup-cake-like molds together for mini-barbie cakes.  You buy that, one batch of cake fills them, bake them, then cut them in half, hollow out a little bit, fill the holes with filling, put back together, chill, then frost.  You have to use frosting to actually make the head pointed, and I recommend a small icing-spatula for this because the technique in the book about using a piece of cellophane did NOT work for me.

Come on!  Your Boy would LOVE these things!!!! (he-he-he!)  Whimsical Bake House Little Cakes book - you can do it!

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

moxie's picture

That's just fabulous. Absolutely fabulous.

Biscuit's picture

Bringing this thread to the top again -

Okay - here is the Monopoly Cake.  I told you about this, yes???  One of my neighbors has a son who just graduated from HS.  I'm giving the party cake as our family's gift to him.  Came up with a Monopoly cake - it's his favorite game, and his mother and I worked on really personalizing it for him.

This is the biggest cake I've ever made.  I made 4 batches of chocolate chiffon, double batch of cookies and cream filling, double batch of buttercream, and 7 pounds of fondant.  It's insanely heavy - and it's 2 inches thick, and 20" x 20".  I ended up putting it on a piece of sturdy plywood to hold it.  Of course, I covered the plywood in royal icing so it would look pretty.

Anyway - all that aside, the design was all done with food color pens, food color "paint" (gel food color mixed with a little lemon extract) and some icing "sheets" that I got on line.  They are thin enough to see through, so I traced some of my designs on to them and then cut them out and affixed them to the "board" with corn syrup.

What really helped with this cake was to have the entire thing mapped out and drawn out way ahead of time.  What was the hardest thing to do was rolling out and covering a 22" inch square cake - 20" square top, but 2" sides.  I had to roll the fondant out about 26" square to give myself plenty of wiggle room.  Getting it ON the cake was another interesting hassle. 

Overall - it came out not quite as perfect as my vision, but pretty close.  The execution was a little off due to it being my first fondant covered cake and the first time I used the food color pens and "paint" - I learned a lot, though, and overall the cake is good and I think he will love it.

I'm showing you beginning pics to finish.  On the "finished" cake I erased out any personal info about him on the picture, just for privacy reasons.

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

PreviewAttachmentSize
base.jpg
base.jpg66.98 KB
finished_I.jpg
finished_I.jpg104.23 KB
marking_grid_lines.jpg
marking_grid_lines.jpg93.52 KB
ready_to_decorate.jpg
ready_to_decorate.jpg30.73 KB
rolling_fondant.jpg
rolling_fondant.jpg92.32 KB
Syrah's picture

Way cool.

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained."
-Marie Curie
My perseverance will be rewarded.

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

CookiM0nster's picture

Fantastic!

SuB's picture

Wow!  That is so cool.

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

Cheers, Sue B.

The older I get, the better I was.

dorcast's picture

That is fanstastic!
You made it as a gift? I'm sure other people who saw it will want to hire you.

Jean's picture

That is fan-tas-tic!!

Sometimes I wonder--why is that Frisbee getting bigger?--and then it hits me.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MadMom's picture

fantastic!  bet he was thrilled.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

roz's picture

Wow! What a great gift! And you get to eat it, too! Will is kill you to cut into it?

Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Do your best. Don Miguel Ruiz
leonap's picture

Wow! What a masterpiece!

Marcia's picture

Wow, now THAT is a gift!

DeannaS's picture

Holy Moly, Biscuit. That is one huge undertaking, executed beautifully!

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." - Joan Dye Gussow

mireillec's picture

Wow! That's incredible! Congratulation!

DJHinAZ's picture

This is TRULY incredible!!! You are absolutely amazing!!!

wonka's picture

Wow Biscuit, another masterpiece. You are an artist.

tones's picture

There is nothing else to say, Biscuit...you are such a talented baker and that cake is beyond any imagination!  Great work!

TracyK's picture

Awesome! It looks just wonderful, you did a GREAT job. :-)

"One of the great strengths of the United States is … we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

--President Barack Obama

unbaked's picture

You're incredible!

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

Adele's picture

Totally awesome!  Don't you like that rolling pin? 

How did you get the fondant onto the cake?  Roll it with wax paper?  Have help?

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

helena1's picture

That is just all kind of awesome! And the cake looks HUGE.

nexus's picture

That is just amazing.

Cheryl

RheaS's picture

Excellent! I would never have guessed that it's your first time working with fondant. You got the colors spot on.

Biscuit's picture

Thanks, Everyone.  It was a really fun cake to do - except for moving that huge piece of fondant to the cake.  I had some major anxiety with that.

TracyK's picture

Latest paid cake:

"Attend to the details. Teach your children manners. Write cogent paragraphs. Drive carefully. And make a good potato salad, one with some crunch, maybe accompanied by a fried drumstick with crackly skin -- the humble potato and the stupid chicken, ennobled by diligent cooking -- and is this not the meaning of our beautiful country, to take what is common and enable it to become beautiful?"

-- Garrison Keillor