NEW! Google Custom Search

Show Us Your Cakes!

msm-s's picture

Show Us Your Cakes! (post #64745)

in

Wanna post photos of some of your best creations? With all the talent here, it would be nice to be able to have an all-occassion cake "scrapbook" to peruse for ideas. Easier to view than hunting through old threads since there is no 'image' search here (unless i am missing something).

I'll start. My recent R2D2 cake and molten planet cake for my son's 7th birthday this week.
also, an older pic of the cake i made my ex (then husband) for his first birthday since the birth of our son. I was still nursing then, which is the joke behind the concept. It's not x-rated, but be warned that there is chest-oidal imagery :-)

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.
–Jack Handey
Amy's picture

That's impressive!

Were you on the RLB forum, talking about passionfruit puree, by any chance? Someone was recently.

RheaS's picture

Not me. I read the blog, but I don't think I ever noticed a forum.

RuthWells's picture

Lovely!

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

http://walk.pkdcure.org/goto/ruthwfischer

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

helena1's picture

Awesome cake Rhea! And thanks for explaining about the frozen buttercream, I've never done that myself. Passionfruit curd....drool.....

CookiM0nster's picture

Nice job!

Kelleyraye's picture

I was just wondering what RLB stands for please?

MadMom's picture

Not Rhea, but RLB is Rose Levy Berenbaum, who has written numerous cookbooks, including The Cake Bible.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

JillElise's picture

This is rolled fondant obviously, but that's the only edible thing here.

PreviewAttachmentSize
P1000979.jpg
P1000979.jpg109.48 KB
chiquiNO's picture

Jill!!  What a gorgeous cake!!  COngrats!!  DId you make your own fondant??

JillElise's picture

Thanks! And no, I didn't make the fondant, I bought a few big containers of it from a supplier. I had to make four of these cakes, all the same, as one of the characters was supposed to be decorating it. The final cake was decorated with flowers and was very pretty indeed.

Jill

http://jillseldonfoodstyling.blogspot.com/

Edited 11/1/2008 2:31 pm by JillElise

RuthWells's picture

Beautiful!

(Is it tacky to ask what the project was for, so we can watch for it in action?)

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

http://walk.pkdcure.org/goto/ruthwfischer

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

JillElise's picture

Eureka - it's on the Sci Fi Channel.

plantlust's picture

You have the COOLEST job!

A lesson for those who follow: 2 wool blankets will NOT protect your tomato plants from 2 nights of frost & 2 days of below 50F. Pepper & basil is ok.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

JillElise's picture

I think so too.

It's hard sometimes because it can get very tense on set, sometimes there are last minute changes that can takes all of my imagination to accommodate, and there are sometimes people who feed their sense of self by condescending to others ... it's far worse in this business than in any other I've worked in.

And the hours are hellacious.

But it's the best job I could imagine for myself.

Adele's picture

Way cool.  I see you have the fondant 'iron', do you find it really useful? 

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

JillElise's picture

The little plastic thing? Yes, it was very, very useful. I was using all styro forms, though. How does it work for you?

Adele's picture

I had my hand on it, but didn't buy it.  I have a small rolling pin- 4" - that I used on top of parchment on top of the fondant.  It seemed to work.  If I was to do a lot, I would purchase it.  Maybe next class.

JillElise's picture

I don't know how I would have substituted a small rolling pin for the iron - but I've never taken a class so I was flying by the seat of my pants. I read a little on how to work with fondant, and actually bought that little iron as a prop for the actor onset, but was very glad to have it. I used a rolling pin to roll out the fondant, but to smooth the fondant onto the forms, the iron was great.

Biscuit's picture

Wow, it took a long time of spelunking to find this thread again!

Okay - here is the disgusting Shark Cake for Max's 8th Birthday.

Specs:  Inspiration from The Whimsical Bake House "Little Cakes" book.  In there these are just the shark heads, but we needed a full-on cake.  So we made it into a large rectangular cake, with the shark heads (also made out of cake) and the cake itself is decorated to resemble the ocean.

I had to make a double batch of WMB Red Velvet Cake to make the entire thing.  I made the layers 4 days ago, so they dried out a bit even with wrapping in plastic, so I gave them a soaking in sugar syrup with the addition of cherry juice.  The filling is whipped cream with chopped cherries in it.  This gives the illusion of "blood and guts" when the cake is cut into (see "Inside" photo for gruesome visual - this was a test shark I did this weekend).  This is exactly what my son wanted (bleh...).

Decoration was done with 4 different colors of buttercream - teal, blue, aqua and white.  Crumb coat in the teal.  Then I plopped on the blue and aqua randomly, then used a spatula to spread them over the cake, which gave the marbled effect you see.  I deliberately didn't make it smooth because I tried that and it looked weird - leaving it rough made it look more like the ocean.  I used white buttercream in a piping bag to pipe the waves on the side of the cake, and used a small spatula to smooth them out a bit. 

The shark heads were filled, crumb coated, then buttercream applied carefully as you see.  The eyes and fins are chocolate.  The mouth and teeth were piped.  (Note:  dear son wanted severed limbs coming out of the sharks mouths with dripping blood - I finally drew the line at that and said NO, so you will not see this detail...).  The sharks were placed on the cake, and some white buttercream piped around the base of each, then I used a paint brush to brush out the buttercream up and onto the sharks to make it look like they were actually coming up out of the water.  I piped the doomed swimmer (I'm terrible at figures so forgive how he looks - he's going to die anyway so I figured he didn't have to be all that great...) and added two more shark fins of chocolate to give the idea of a school of sharks having a feeding frenzy, also at the direction of the Birthday Boy, who I am beginning to worry is way too bloodthirsty.

Lastly, I spread a little white buttercream randomly around the surface to mimic whitecapsand froth of the agitated water - again, at the directon of Max. 

All in all, it's a good cake.  I still like the one I did last year best, but then, I'm not into blood and gore.  Max LOVES this cake and cannot wait for this evening to cut into it. 

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

PreviewAttachmentSize
Birthday_cake_II.jpg
Birthday_cake_II.jpg37.43 KB
Inside_Shark_Cake.jpg
Inside_Shark_Cake.jpg133.84 KB
Shark_Cake_1.jpg
Shark_Cake_1.jpg118.89 KB
Shark_Cake_III.jpg
Shark_Cake_III.jpg117.01 KB
Shark_Cake_IV.jpg
Shark_Cake_IV.jpg106.87 KB
Shark_Cake_V.jpg
Shark_Cake_V.jpg36.03 KB
msm-s's picture

Oh Biscuit! What an awesome birthday cake! I bet Max was beside himself.
Awesome awesome eyes! and blood! and guts! LOVE the poor swimmer! Thanks for going to the trouble to find this thread to post!!

MadMom's picture

Fantastic!  I can imagine nothing that would thrill a bloodthirsty little boy more!  Tell Max we all wish him a happy birthday today.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Marcia's picture

That's really impressive. Max should be in heaven. :)

assibams's picture

Oh my! What an awfully wonderful cake, or is it wonderfully awful? The ocean looks just perfect, as do the sharks. Perfect!

Resist the temptation to over-clean. After all, how many times do you need to kill the same germ.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

wonka's picture

I LOVE it.

kathymcmo's picture

Fantastic! Love the sharks (you really captured that open-eyed yet expressionless look they have), love the poor swimmer. Great job!

Jean's picture

Wonderfully awful says it! LOL.  I love it! How can you top this next year??

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
KitchenWitch's picture

LOVE it!

I would have done the blood dripping limbs, but I'm just like that.

Tell The CheeseMan I said Happy (cheese) Birthday!

~RuthAnn

~RuthAnn

RuthWells's picture

Too fantastic, Biscuit! (What a good Mama you are.)

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

helena1's picture

That is just *awesome*!! I just love those sharks with their scary teeth :o). What a great job!!

Jillsifer's picture

Oh, it's WONDERFUL! You did such a great job!

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

-- Washington Irving