NEW! Google Custom Search

Show Us Your Cakes!

msm-s's picture

Show Us Your Cakes! (post #64745)

in

Wanna post photos of some of your best creations? With all the talent here, it would be nice to be able to have an all-occassion cake "scrapbook" to peruse for ideas. Easier to view than hunting through old threads since there is no 'image' search here (unless i am missing something).

I'll start. My recent R2D2 cake and molten planet cake for my son's 7th birthday this week.
also, an older pic of the cake i made my ex (then husband) for his first birthday since the birth of our son. I was still nursing then, which is the joke behind the concept. It's not x-rated, but be warned that there is chest-oidal imagery :-)

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.
–Jack Handey
gebakje's picture

Hi Tracy,

thanks very much for getting back to me...we all are forgetfull at times.

It does sound very labour intensive....I will have to try some time when I feel daring.  I love how they look on the cupcakes!! Thanks for your help.

RuthWells's picture

What a nice idea! I'm enjoying seeing everyone's photos, especially Cookimonster's -- I missed many of them, way back when.

Here are a few of mine -- I'm sorry some of the files are so big (most of you have seen all of these already, anyway!).

Ruth Wells

"Gardening is the only unquestionably useful job."
 - G.B. Shaw

www.lemonade-and-kidneys.blogspot.com

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

www.ruthssweetpleasures.com

http://www.pkdcure.org/Default.aspx?TabI...

Heather's picture

You are all awesome!!! The cakes and cupcakes are wonderful! And the best part-- with this group I know they all tasted wonderful too. ;-)

plantlust's picture

My first (& only, so far) decorated/fancy cake attempt. My ambition & imagination exceeded the actual execution. sigh

Behold, Max's Ice Dragon Cake! It's a cute & fluffy (not fierce) dragon & I wasn't able to obtain the dry ice to have smoke coming out of the nostrils but the sugar wings sparkled nicely & it tasted good<G>.

A gallon of gasoline is more expensive than a pack of cigarettes. Hmmm, I wonder if I can convert my Volksy to run on coffin nails...

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

PreviewAttachmentSize
20080127dragoncakedone.jpg
20080127dragoncakedone.jpg50.49 KB
annieqst's picture

Wow! I can't believe how creative and talented you all are! Inspirational! I'm too intimidated, not to mention lacking equipment to even attempt baking a simple cake.

Fledge's picture

I knew exactly what that was.  I love the wings.

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey

Fledge's picture

I am soo proud of you.  Not a piece of foil in the bunch.

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey

RuthWells's picture

Oh, you're making me wince! I made a last-minute cake for Hubby's work last night (his beloved boss is leaving) and I *started* icing and assembling at 11pm. Found I didn't have anything to cover the cake board with and went for the heavy duty foil, with your voice in my ear the whole time.

(Hell, he was lucky to get a cake at all, given the timing!)

Ah well.

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

helena1's picture

I love looking at all the marvelous cakes and can't help posting some of mine. All the pictures make me want to bake NOW! Unfortunately, I'm still without an oven. It sucks, LOL!

PreviewAttachmentSize
Barbie_reddress.jpg
Barbie_reddress.jpg24.85 KB
Jens_spongebob.jpg
Jens_spongebob.jpg38.47 KB
Paco_olifant.jpg
Paco_olifant.jpg32.91 KB
Piratenboot1.jpg
Piratenboot1.jpg60.52 KB
Powerpuff1.jpg
Powerpuff1.jpg28.2 KB
Snoopy2.jpg
Snoopy2.jpg20.92 KB
Taz_2.jpg
Taz_2.jpg26.98 KB
bruidstaart_rode_roos.jpg
bruidstaart_rode_roos.jpg25.43 KB
chocolate_bow1.jpg
chocolate_bow1.jpg29.86 KB
dragoncake2.jpg
dragoncake2.jpg46.82 KB
Biscuit's picture

Oh, man - I'm deleting my photos!  I'm totally not worthy to have them anywhere near yours! 

That dragon cake is marvelous, BTW - love!

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

MadMom's picture

Don't you dare delete your pictures.  I think your cakes are awesome, as are all the rest which have been posted here.  Frankly, I think it's a great idea to post these all together.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to add except awe and admiration for those who can do such wonderful things. 

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

nexus's picture

Beautiful cakes! Absolutely beautiful!

I bake and it tastes wonderful but the only impressive looking cakes I've made were either bundt or round and covered with ganache so while impressive to many people, compared to you guys they are not.

Thank you for posting the photos; I really enjoyed seeing them.

Cheryl

helena1's picture

PLease don't, because I'm still in the process of picking my jaw off the floor after looking at that reptile cake of yours. It is just beyond awesome!

msm-s's picture

Don't you dare! We will hunt you down and retrieve them somehow.

There's loads of professional cake websites with perfect-looking cakes, but there's more to a memorable creation than wrinkle-less fondant or machine-like uniformity.

I'm sure we will all learn some great tips from each other!

–Jack Handey
msm-s's picture

Cri-Mo-NEEE! those are awesome!! I've got so many questions-- what is the chocolatle bow made of/how did you form it so perfectly? "Paco" letters and #3 are so nice and pillowy looking- what are they?
All Brilliant!

–Jack Handey

helena1's picture

Thank you :o). The bow is actually much easier than it looks. I made it after I learned to temper chocolate (which I still struggle with BTW, but you could just as easily use candy melts in any colour you like). You cut strips of acetate, all the same lenght, then just spread tempered chocolate on them. Let the harden slightly, then form each strip into a loop pressing both ends together and set it up so it stands. Let cool until fully hardened. You can now pull the acetate of and you have a loop. spread a blob of melted chocolate onto acetate (this is the base of the bow) and put a row of loops in a circle around the blob, ends in the blob. Let harden, then repeat with more rows of loops on top until you get the bow. You can put it on the cake as is. It's actually a great way of making decorations long before you need them, which takes the stress out of last-minute decorating.

The Paco letters are simply royal icing, using the flooding technique. I've explained this in detail in an older post in my blog. I just filled the outlines quite full so they were thick, then put some sprinkles in, et voila :o).

Biscuit's picture

I have a few questions for you:

On the pirate cake (fabulous!!!) and the dragon cake - what did you form the little sea creatures and the dragon out of?  Fondant or marzipan or what?  They are very cute!

On the Sponge Bob cake - at the corners you have some little curly-cues that are sticking up off of the cake - what did  you use for those?  They are very cute and I could see lots of applications for them.

Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
- Mark Twain

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."  - George Bernard Shaw

helena1's picture

Thanks Biscuit :o). Everything on the pirate and dragon is fondant. For the dragon, I kneaded insome gum tragacanth to make it a little bit sturdier and I have to say I did notice the difference in molding. It just held up better than plain fondant. I don't think the dragon's wings would have held up without it.

THe curly things are strips of fondant that I wound up around a pencil and let them dry like that. You could use sticks that differ in thickness to get the desired shape. It's just plain fondant.

Biscuit's picture

Hmmm, that's cool!  I'm going to have to practice modeling with fondant.  Once when I was making a gingerbread house, I took some of the royal icing and kneaded in enough 10X to make it clay-like, then used it to make snowmen and a snowdog.  It worked really beautifully, but it cracked a bit.  I had thought at the time it would work better if I added a little of the gum tragacanth it would work better, but never got the chance to try it.

Thanks for the mini-lesson! 

- Mark Twain

helena1's picture

Sure! I find the ready made fondant is easiest to work with. I made my own once from marshmallows and it was harder to shape IMO. It's just that the ready stuff is almost impossible to get here.

I've never used royal icing that was kneadable! I'm trying that for sure, so thanks for the tip as well :o)

CookiM0nster's picture

Here is another entry, from Berend and Jasper. Their father's birthday was yesterday and they made and decorated his cake. Berend did the top and Jasper did the sides. Look closely at the finished cake and you'll see that Jasper found it necessary to quality check the frosting after it was finished.

PreviewAttachmentSize
birdcake1.jpg
birdcake1.jpg47.66 KB
birdcake2.jpg
birdcake2.jpg50.02 KB
MadMom's picture

That is so cute!   You must be very proud of them.  I think quality checking the frosting was a very good idea.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

DeannaS's picture

Excellent! DH's birthday is coming up. I'll have to enlist the kiddo's help, too.

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." - Joan Dye Gussow

Jean's picture

That's just too sweet! :)

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. Mary Hirsch
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
KarenP's picture

LOL!  The perfect birthday cake!  They did a GREAT job!.  I think that he could be following you in quality control.."constant testing, the only way to achieve true perfection" ;-)

RuthWells's picture

Aw, what sweeties!

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

RuthWells's picture

You are an artist, Helena!

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

Ruth Wells

- G.B. Shaw

helena1's picture
Fledge's picture

wowie! Love the pirate ship!

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey

You don't scare me

I have an African Grey