NEW! Google Custom Search

5 minutes a day Artisan Bread again

bonnieruth's picture

I seem to be the only one still struggling with this, but am checking in to say that I think I am giving up.  I don't know if it is the altitude or not, but like Gretchen, I cannot get consistent results.  For a while I was getting a pretty good rise but recently have been back to the little bitty flat loaves no matter how much high altitude adjusting I do.  Probably there is some minor variation in the flour to liquid ratio, maybe has to do with how dry my flour is or something, but I am feeling it shouldn't be this fussy.  Today I am back to an artisan bread in No Need to Knead, and it is looking much better. 

One thing I note is that the amount of flour in Zoe's recipes is pretty similar to the one I am doing today from No Need to Knead for half as many loaves.  Is there just not enough dough there to get good-sized loaves?  Most of you seem to do fine with it, but how can you get twice as much bread from the same amount of flour?

Heather's picture

This bread works consistently well for me and for everyone I've told about it. I don't have altitude problems though so I can't help you with that.

I always make small loaves because it is just for my husband and me but I have a friend who makes two big loaves from the recipe and has no trouble.

bonnieruth's picture

Maybe I haven't entirely given up yet after all.  I didn't like the flavor of my No Need to Knead loaf yesterday as much as I like either Zoe's or the NYT no-knead.  And it had an overnight biga and another overnight for rising!  Too much trouble for not much flavor.  There may have been some problems in how I interpreted the recipe;let's see what anyone else thinks.  The directions after the overnight rise in the refrigerator were to remove it and let it sit in a warm place for 2 hours.  There was nothing about punching it down or folding it over, but the recipe did say it would "rise again,"which might suggest I should punch it down.  I elected not to, treating it like a 5-minutes-a day loaf.  Then the directions were to shape it into loaves and let rise another 30 minutes, which I did.  It rose a little bit then and in the oven, but didn't do any rising during the 2 hours on the counter.  Should I have punched it down, and would that have helped develop the flavor?

I may try a Zoe recipe again and just figure on getting only 2 loaves out of it.   My bread baking was more successful when I was doing the NYT no-knead every other day, but I was frustrated by its not rising much, either.

Gretchen's picture

I got my NYT bread to be a higher loaf by letting it rise in a saran lined bowl so it was sort of "contained" and was higher when I flipped it into the cloche I use.

Gretchen

Gretchen
bonnieruth's picture

I've done things like that, too.  I started baking it in my anodized aluminum saucepan so it wouldn't have the option of spreading outward instead of upward.  But I don't think it browns as well there.  Hmmm, I wonder if I could do that with the 5-minutes-a day bread.  I think you have said you get a better rise from the no-knead by increasing the yeast, but at my altitude I usually need to go the opposite direction (and it is hard to imagine using any less yeast than 1/4 teaspoon).  Once I did try using a couple of teaspoons, and the dough blew holes in its crust but didn't rise any higher. 

Gretchen's picture

I think Denver's altitude doesn't have a great effect. At least that has been my experience the little baking I have done there, and what the boxes say.

I increase it only to about a half/3/4tsp--2 would be too much, as you say.

Gretchen
Gretchen
MadMom's picture

One definitely would not increase the yeast at higher altitudes; the opposite would be more likely.  Also, wonder about using flour milled for baking at higher altitudes?  Don't know if that's just a marketing ploy, but DD always used that in Durango.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Gretchen's picture

But Durango is about 4000 feet higher. There is definitely "high altitude" flour available in the stores. But Denver is just sort of at that "cut off" point and directions say, "no correction".

Gretchen

Gretchen
MadMom's picture

Yes, it is quite a bit higher.  Probably also depends on exactly where one is in Denver, also.  I know I tried cooking bagels when I visited my cousin in Littleton, and they were an absolute disaster.  I think the water must have boiled at a much lower temperature. 

Not One More Day!

Gretchen's picture

That's basically where DS lives. It's all pretty much the same in that "bowl". But boiling water and cooking IS a big deal. Takes forever.

Gretchen

Gretchen
beejay's picture

I've given up because of the itty bitty flat loaves.  (That, and the fact that I'm supposed to be on 1300 calories a day and I'm the only one here to eat it.)  I'm building an out door cob oven this week end. Maybe I'll try again.

BJ

Gardening, cooking and woodworking in South'n Murlyn'
Gardening, cooking and woodworking in South'n Murlyn'
Gretchen's picture

I, of course, gave up long ago. I also didn't think the taste of the bread was as good as the NYTimes recipe.  Takes all kinds.  I do wonder how many are making either one of them however--sort of the 15 minutes thing.

I need to do a loaf!!

Gretchen
Gretchen
Heather's picture

>>>I do wonder how many are making either one of them however--sort of the 15 minutes thing.<<<

That may be a good thing. I've turned so many people on to the bread that my husband says I'm single-handedly raising the rate of Type II diabetes in the country. ;-)

MadMom's picture

I loved both the Artisan Bread and the No-Knead bread, but right now am limiting the amount of new bread I make, buy, or eat.

Not One More Day!

Heather's picture

Sometimes you've just got to do it! Good bread is dangerous!

Jean's picture

Same here.  I've gone back to making my old staple--Moomie's ww loaf for DH for his toast. Anything else is special for company. I love getting that first rise over with in the  bread machine.

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. Mary Hirsch
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need