NEW! Google Custom Search

Purple cake and purple frosting

Aberwacky's picture

Grant has requested a purple cake with purple frosting for his 3rd birthday on Sunday (I don't know where he came up with it).

I'm not a baker of sweets, so I'm clueless. Suggestions?

Oh, and I should mention DH is going in for surgery on his ankle to repair a tendon on Thursday, and will be on crutches for 6 weeks, so something simple would be good. (G)

Leigh

Strengthen your immune system; eat more dirt!

"Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them." 
-Leo Tolstoy
Aberwacky's picture

Oh, and I haven't even made the frosting yet--no telling how much I'll put in there.

I've never used the paste food coloring in baking before (mostly in playdough and other non-food things) and didn't know how much to use.  I was afraid the cake was going to turn out lavender instead of violet, but there was no danger of that.  It's definitely purple.  PURple.

Leigh

-Leo Tolstoy
KitchenWitch's picture

stop before you think it's dark enough, and then walk away. it will continue to darken.

Maybe he has a stronger reaction to it then some, but I know just one blue raspberry slurpee results in two days of really frightening green poops for Buddy.
First time it happened I nearly had a heart attack.

warn your childcare providers! =D

~RuthAnn
foom!

~RuthAnn

MadMom's picture

Not only the childcare providers, but any parents of other three year olds who might be coming to the party.  In fact, just about anyone who eats the cake.  People are going to think it's an epidemic of purple poop!  I made beet soup yesterday; the color was beautiful.  Not so much coming from the other end.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

KitchenWitch's picture

Might not be purple, though!

the blue # whatever they use for the wretched fake blue raspberry turns an awful shade of green in Buddy's system.

~RuthAnn
foom!

~RuthAnn

MadMom's picture

Ewwww.  I remember once when my eldest DD managed to grab the bowls which contained the Go beads from a game we had.  She ate most of them but managed to spill a few.  Poor DH was given the task of dumping the poop from her diaper (which scared the hell out of her caregiver, because it looked like a Swedish meatball, fortunately we came home shortly thereafter and she had saved it) into a tomato juice can which I had emptied and punched holes in the bottom.  Poor thing would run water through the poop, then come up for air.  Finally, he came out of the bathroom and said, weakly, "Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new game?"  I patiently explained that we were counting them to make sure that what went in came out.  We found all but one, and she seems to have survived.  Hopefully, she dropped that one or we miscounted.

Not One More Day!

Jean's picture

Buy a new game--ROFL--just like a man.

Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. Mary Hirsch
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
MadMom's picture

We still laugh about that one.  He meekly did as he was told, but totally missed the point!  FWIW, don't think we ever played with that game again.

Not One More Day!

Aberwacky's picture

Thanks for the warning.  I ended up using the rest of the jar on the frosting (and have the purple fingers to prove it).  It's a medium purple, so if it darkens a bit, that will be fine. 

Thank goodness frosting covers a lot of sins.  That, and sprinkles.  Lots of sprinkles.

Grant gets green poop from blue corn chips.  Bright green.  It's a bit startling, especially when he calls from the bathroom to announce it.  I'll let daycare know, too (especially the caretaker in Hugo's class, who tends to panic a bit).

Leigh

-Leo Tolstoy
Canuck's picture

Yep, green poop was my first thought after hearing "purple cake." DDs have had it from grape Kool-Aid.

favorablyimpressed's picture

Third birthday . . . how can that be? It seems like only yesterday. I remember, because my maiden name is Grant. If I had had a boy, I definitely would have named him Grant, but alas, no kidlets for me.

Aberwacky's picture

And Grant was my maternal grandmother's maiden name, and she was 100 when Grant was born. (She's 103 now).

Leigh

-Leo Tolstoy
favorablyimpressed's picture

That's very special.

Wolvie's picture

Hope all goes well for Mr Wacky and the ankle - and I know you will pull off the cake. :-)

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)