NEW! Google Custom Search

2005-La Martha's Holiday Mag

plantlust's picture

K, so I caved.  I saw the gorgeous snowflake cookie on the cover and just caved.
This mag is nothing but cookie recipes which are sectioned by texture.

Soft/chewy, crisp/crunchy, light/delicate, crumbly/sandy, cakey/tender, rich/dense and chunky/nutty.  I'm still working my way thru the magazine.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

paretsky's picture

Ah, Martha. My secret shame. I cannot seem to help myself when I see her holiday issues at the checkout stand of the grocery store. She did come in handy for this year's haloween party. Last year's fall "Kids" magazine had some really fun ideas for decorating cupcakes. Of course, not all of the ideas in the photo are from her. A friend of mine came up with the little graveyards all on her own.

How many people can read hex if only you and dead people can read hex?

57006. dead in hex = 57005 in decimal. Add one more for "you" and you have the result.

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

PreviewAttachmentSize
cupcakes.JPG
cupcakes.JPG129.97 KB
VickiG's picture

Those are sooooooo cute !!! 

paretsky's picture

Thanks. They were a lot of fun, but a real pain in the rear to do. 22 cupcakes took a little over two hours to decorate, although some of that time was spent in keeping little fingers away from the already decorated cupcakes.

How many people can read hex if only you and dead people can read hex?

57006. dead in hex = 57005 in decimal. Add one more for "you" and you have the result.

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!!"
Rizzo the Rat, A Muppet Christmas Carol

Gretchen's picture

Found the Holiday issue. But en route to it, I picked up the Saveur issue and considered it--until I got sticker shock from the $9.95 price tag!!!

Gretchen

Gretchen
pamilyn's picture

OMG, was that just for a regular magazine or a special publication? Did it have ads in it? Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

Gretchen's picture

It was the equivalent of Martha's holiday issue, I assume. Yes, I assume ads too. I put it back quickly.

Gretchen

Gretchen
macy's picture

Are you talking about the MS Cookies issue? Mine was $5.95 (you ladies really are enablers :-)  There aren't many adds, but they're all for other MS publications. The recipes and gift packaging ideas look great, and I especially like the pictorial index in the back. This was a definite must-buy for me.

Gretchen's picture

No, I am talking about Saveur's holiday/winter cooking issue= $9.95.

I looked through Martha's last night and I truly don't know when I have been so excited about looking at sweets/cookies!!  That is an absolutely beautiful issue.  I love the "table of contents"--pictures of the cookies with the page numbers.  And typically I am drawn to the rosemary butter cookies and one with cornmeal. I might even make cookie boxes to give this year.  It is definitely worth the price.

Gretchen
Gretchen
pamilyn's picture

No kidding about enablers. I don't bake much and I want that issue LOL Pamilyn

Jean's picture

DH bought it for me--he must have thought I neeeeeeded it.

Veni, vidi, velcro        I came,  I  saw,  I stuck around.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
chiquiNO's picture

It really is fabulous!!  I'm having trouble making decisions as to which ones I'll make for gift giving.  Now that I definitely have the big "D"....I have to watch my sugar intake.  But a few spread out over time can't hurt!!LOL

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

Jean's picture

Not just a few, more like just a bite. Good luck extracting your sweet tooth. :-/

MadMom's picture

I think I've gained ten pounds, just looking at the pictures...and I'm only about a third of the way through.  However does one decide which ones to make???

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Jean's picture

Close your eyes and open a page at random.

chiquiNO's picture

LOL

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

Adele's picture

Well, if you want sweet, go for the Coconut Swirl Brownies- you can make Vientnamese coffee with the leftover condensed milk!   Very rich brownie.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

favorablyimpressed's picture

Wow!  What a week.  I picked up the MS cookie mag the day it hit the stand.  My FC came yesterday and today the very new Martha Stewart Baking Handbook arrived in my mailbox!  I'm in heaven.  I'm off to bed to read them all!

Debby's picture

Would be interested in knowing how you like that baking handbook of Martha's.

Debby

favorablyimpressed's picture

On first review, the MS Baking Handbook is nicely presented.  The food styling and photography is outstanding, as I expected it would be.  There are some new techniques presented, but, I haven't had a chance to try any of the recipes.  Unlike her first books, published 20 years ago, her recipes are usually sound.  I like it.

deejeh's picture

The Cornmeal-Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti from the cookie mag are outstanding.  There is a cranberry-pistachio biscotti recipe in the Handbook as well, but it doesn't feature cornmeal.  I love the texture that cornmeal provides.

deej

AJ12754's picture

I made the cranberry-pistachio-cornmeal biscotti tonight and I wuv them.  Not just the taste and the texture -- they look beautiful and smell wonderful.

Big thumbs up from this neck of the peanut gallery.

"Truth is the engine of our judicial system." Patrick Fitzgerald

Cave obdurationem cordis

deejeh's picture

They're something, aren't they?  I'm thinking of trying the chocolate malt sandwich cookies next, after the positive reviews you and Canuck gave them.

deej

knitpik's picture

I want to make the choc malt cookies too. Must find some malt powder or Ovaltine first.

KarenP's picture

There has been a lot of talk about cornmeal in cookies and biscotti the past few days.  I have always kinda of avoided them because I never know how coarse the cornmeal should be.  How coarse should the cornmeal be?  Polenta?  The Quaker Oats Yellow Cornmeal?  Cornmeal Flour?  Somewhere in between?  

Wolvie's picture

I have used Arrowhead Mills cornmeal - similar in consistency to Quaker, IIRC.

It's a great addition to brioche - you get a bit of crisp with all that flavor. Even more over the top is adding some sambal to the dough along with the cornmeal - a Ming thing, but - oh my. Addictive.

If, 2 1/2 years in, you don't control the only road linking your military airport to your headquarters, you don't control much of anything

Lewis Simons

Gretchen's picture

I have made a rosemary whole wheat "polenta" bread--just a bit of cornmeal (coarse) added to the bread. Use olive oil as the shortening. Good. I need to try that again.

Gretchen

Gretchen
KarenP's picture

I have used Arrowhead Mills cornmeal

Thanks very much.  I have seen this at Whole Paycheck. 

dlish's picture

Ok -- I just bought the magazine too! While at the bookstore, I also bought Martha's Baking Handbook. Then I came home and found my new FC issue. Fire up the oven!! I can't wait to make the mini black & white cookies.

deejeh's picture

My cornmeal comes from a bulk store.  It's what I would call a medium grind, suitable for polenta.  It definitely gives a crunch to the biscotti, which contrasts nicely with the chewiness of the dried cranberries.  I was thinking about trying a cornmeal shortbread recipe, but I think I'll give the cornmeal a whir in the FP for that.

deej

AJ12754's picture

The only place I was able to find malt powder was Walmart.

"Truth is the engine of our judicial system." Patrick Fitzgerald

Cave obdurationem cordis