NEW! Google Custom Search

2005-La Martha's Holiday Mag

plantlust's picture

K, so I caved.  I saw the gorgeous snowflake cookie on the cover and just caved.
This mag is nothing but cookie recipes which are sectioned by texture.

Soft/chewy, crisp/crunchy, light/delicate, crumbly/sandy, cakey/tender, rich/dense and chunky/nutty.  I'm still working my way thru the magazine.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Lee's picture

I bought a cookie mag she published a couple of years ago.  It was an enjoyable read with lots of photos of scrumptious looking, beautifully decorated cookies.  I tried a few of the recipes, and they were quite good.  I'll have to look for it (yikes -- that means going through boxes of magazines!). 

Gretchen's picture

I just don't think you can deny that her magazine is drop dead gorgeous with good ideas and good sounding recipes.

Gretchen

Gretchen
chiquiNO's picture

I LOVE her cookie recipes...never had one let me down.  She has a lime or lemon one...can't remember which, but it is great!!

Chiqui from way down yonder in New Orleans

Nightrider's picture

Oooh...I almost bought it too.  The cookie on the cover was just so pretty :)  I've had very good luck with her recipes in the past.  She has one recipe for gingerbread cookies that calls for fresh ground black pepper...it's my default gingerbread recipe every Christmas!

Laura

Jean's picture

Is this the one?  http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?&type=content&id=recipe1233

A couple of questions.  How can a recipe that calls for 6 cups of flour make only 16 cookies?  How can this recipe make the 3 different colored cookies that are in the illustration? Hope you can clear this up for me.

Veni, vidi, velcro        I came,  I  saw,  I stuck around.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
assibams's picture

My guess is the cookies are huge, as in foot-long or something. Think gingerbread hearts at fairs. The colors are another issue, weird, if you ask me. Only the brown ones qualify for gingerbread IMO.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright

Sondra's picture

Lime Curd Sables maybe??

helena's picture

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a total Martha addict ;o)

plantlust's picture

Oh no.  It's just that I was trying to limit my Holiday Mag purchases (I'm thrilled that the FC was included in my subscription).  What worries me is that Gourmet usually puts one out and I think there's one more that I also purchase (Saveur, perhaps).

And when I opened to La Martha's first page and it shows nothing but COOKIES!  Photo after photo of each recipes.  EEEEEKKKK, my will was crushed.

Trip update. 2 kilos of really, really good Luxembourg chocolates, misc kilos of semi good chocolate, Szechuan & Spanish smoked pepper(you will cry when I tell you how much I paid, Pashmini scarves doublesided 70cashmir/30silk (HA), balsamic vinegar and other assorted adventures. Reports & photos, forthcoming

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Adele's picture

Yeah, well, at least you didn't come home from work, do stuff, think about these posts, get re-dressed and go to the store just for it.  I'm glad I did. :)  I have 13 pages tabbed, and a couple of pages have more than one recipe I neeeeeed to try.  Did you notice pages 118-119 - the index,  have a freaking picture of the cookie next to the name and the page #???????????    How cool is that? 

Just to name a few:  Pistacho lemon drops, Chocolate crackles, Chocolate black pepper, Double Chocolate Brownies (gee, wonder what I'm going to try first?),Peppermint meringues w/choco filling, Honey lace, Meringue porcupines- these are strictly to go with the chocolate mice and the hedgehogs!   And many more. 

This is a really good mag.  So, how many of you get the subscription?  Do you like it overall? Is it worth it?

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

MadMom's picture

Ohhhhmy...porcupines and hedgehogs?  I'll bet my grandbabies would love those.  Maybe I neeeeeeed to get this magazine!

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Adele's picture

Now I got the hedgehog from here, I think someone mentioned they were in Rose's Christmas cookie book, which I am waiting for.  The recipe I have is from Allrecipes, so I don't have a CT ref # nor even a name.   The porcipines are super cute and will be easy- just pull on the meringue to make spikes!  Martha shows putting 2 together with apricot preserves, I think they look cute just one by one.

knitpik's picture

I believe the hedgehogs are from Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures.
They are very cute. Here's the link for anyone interested.
Haven't made them. All that talk about hedghogs got me curious. LOL

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/hedgehogs.html

MadMom's picture

Thanks for the link.  I've printed it out, although I'm sure I have Flo Braker's book somewhere.  When I saw that the recipe took three full pages to print, I thought it might be horrifically complicated, but it seems straightforward enough.  I'm trying to think of something other than pine nuts to use, since I'm afraid those might be a bit too chewy for the littlest grandbabies...and I'm really making them for the little ones.  Now, are the porcupines in Martha's magazine?  I know how to do the mice.

Not One More Day!

knitpik's picture

How about some chocolate nonpareil sprinkles instead of pine nuts?
The porcupines are in Martha's mag. Want me to post?

MadMom's picture

Thanks, but the enablers made me do it.  Bought Martha's magazine, pretending I really need another few inches on my bottom!

Not One More Day!

knitpik's picture

Those enablers are evil, I tell ya.

MadMom's picture

I know, but they do add spice to my life!  Of course, not only did I pick up MS Holiday Cookies, but I saw a Donna Hay magazine, which needless to say, I had to have. 

Not One More Day!

KitchenWitch's picture

lousy buncha enablers. I just bought it, too.

going to go curl up on the couch with it, instead of folding laundry like I should.

~RuthAnn

The glass is neither half empty nor half full - it's twice the size it needs to be.

~RuthAnn

Tana's picture

I lucked out and couldn't find it at any of the three markets I was at today. I just saved my hips several inches.

TracyK's picture

I bought it too!

Heh.

Squirrels are just rats in cuter outfits.
       -- Carrie Bradshaw

shoechick's picture

Add me to the list too :)

If Shopping Doesn't Bring you Happiness, You're in the Wrong Store.

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

AJ12754's picture

I just made the Chocolate Malt cookies and my family now worships me -- and I have two teens.

:-)

"Truth is the engine of our judicial system." Patrick Fitzgerald

Cave obdurationem cordis

Adele's picture

That's one of the recipes a co-worker copied.  Glad it turned out well, you goddess you!

Gretchen's picture

What I think is so excellent about this issue is the "table of contents" with the cookie pictures.  Great marketing idea to me.

Gretchen

Gretchen
tcurda's picture

Stopped at the book-borg this afternoon, and they didn't have it. I asked about it and was told they didn't get it and probably wouldn't.

Looks like a safari is in order. :-)

Tom aka tomcatt
Live today like there's no tomorrow.
Smile - People will wonder what you're up to.

Tom aka tomcatt

Live today like there's no tomorrow.

Smile - People will wonder what you're up to.
Adele's picture

You are correct.  The difference in the recipe I printed and the one in the book is like night and day.  The one from all recipes is: 2 cups walnuts, 1 cup dates, 2 cups flaked coconut, 1 cup brown sugar and 2 eggs. 

There is actually a pic of the hedgehogs in Sweet Miniatures, right next to honey bee minicakes.   They are too cool.  I'd have to substitute the dark rum though, it's only 1 tbsp. 

plantlust's picture

<G> Well, I see that I am slooooowly catching up to Gretchen as an enabler.
(cough, cough) My eye was caught by the Chocolate/Espresso Orange cookies...among others. And yes, the photo/name/page# thing is very cool.

I do not subscribe to her mag. I just pick up an occasional and then the Halloween & Holiday mag. Content has gone down. As an example 2002 Halloween was VERY thick and had all sorts of neat stuff in it. This year's was pretty dismal. I don't know if it's because she went to prison or if they are running out of ideas.

Give me the remote, you don't understand technology. Connor (8) yelling at younger sister

Gretchen's picture

Oh, darn too.  I take MS and thought I read in your last post that it came with the sub.  I don't make cookies often but this might be the one to really "keep" if I decide I will.

Gretchen

Gretchen
CHandGreeson's picture

Thank you for the endorsement, I am going to see if we still have it at work before I go out to buy it.

I love holiday cookies!!