NEW! Google Custom Search

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie what went wrong

YS's picture

Hi

I tried baking a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie  yesterday using Meanies recipe

http://www.recipezaar.com/60390

What I wound up with was more like a pie shell with strawberry rhubarb soup inside.  I am sure that I measured the ingredients correctly, particularly the 1/4 cup cornstarch.  Baking time / temperatures were also according to the recipe, and the juices did start to bubble.   It tasted good, just very difficult to serve!

Yisrael

CookiM0nster's picture

How much did it bubble? To properly activate the cornstarch I find it needs to be bubbling rather ferociously (though if it goes too long it will lose it's thickening power, one reason why I prefer flour in pies).

Another possibility - how long did you let it rest before cutting it? Fruit pies need to thoroughly cool down to thicken properly.

Edited 1/30/2005 6:56 pm ET by COOKIM0NSTER

Astrid's picture

It may have been fruit with more moisture than expected, which made more juice.

New Mexico home organic gardener

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience. Emerson

New Mexico home organic gardener Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience. Emerson
Glenys's picture

Well I would say the real problem is making a pie that's so out of season you're using ingredients that compromise the result. I know some of the Floridians may be getting strawberries and rhubarb now like a Salade Caprese, it's just not the time of year.

YS's picture

Locally, (in Israel) Strawberries are in season during the winter.  No idea when rhubarb is normally in season in Israel, this was the first time I have seen it here, and just NEEDED to buy it.  It looked / felt very fresh.

I think the problem may be in that I didn't let it bubble "rather ferociously" as cookiemonster put it. It didn't really start bubbling until the end of the time in the oven, and by that time the crust was browned, so I didn't really want to leave it much longer.

The fruits had been in the fridge up until about 35 minutes before cooking, so they were probably still fairly cold.

Yisrael

anneelsberry's picture

My guess is that the filling didn't have long enough to cook and thicken -- it usually takes longer than you expect.  If you're worried about the crust overbrowning, cover it with a little foil.  Or, for something completely different, try using tapioca or tapioca flour as a thickener -- I find it's much less tempermental than cornstarch.

Somebody put a stop payment on my reality check!

Somebody put a stop payment on my reality check!

sandermom's picture

You can pre cook your filling and put it into the pie crust hot.  Fitting the top can be a bit tricky but it solves the dome thing if your top crust is a bit, ah, sturdy.

Klaatu Barada Nikto

ebarlow1's picture

After years making my grandmother's rhubarb pie recipe with sometimes soupy results (it happened to her, too), I read somewhere that cornstarch does not do well with highly acidic ingredients, like rhubarb.  I am a little suspicious of this, since I've never had any trouble with lemon meringue pie, but I started using flour instead of cornstarch in my rhubarb pie, and it has never been soupy since.  Arrowroot might be a better substitute, but I never have that in the house. . .