NEW! Google Custom Search

Gordon Ramsay *** Chef

shoechick's picture

Hi - Our Costco is carrying this for around $35 does anyone have the Gordon Ramsay *** (That's 3 star) Chef cookbook?

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

shipscook's picture

only 2 reviews on Amazon, but they are both excellent.

Nan

whoops, forgot link--

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/1554700906/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edited 11/30/2008 2:58 pm ET by shipscook

Gretchen's picture

For a philanderer?  I know it doesn't affect his cooking.

Gretchen

Gretchen
shoechick's picture

Gordon Ramsay is a philanderer?   Ah, now I see what you're talking about, well seeing as it's the same women who claimed to be having an affair with David Beckham I'll wait for a little more proof of this one.

Edited 11/30/2008 3:05 pm by Shoechick

Glenys's picture

I'm with you on that one.

MadMom's picture

Awww, c'mon, just because they claim to be having an affair with numerous celebrities.  Yeah, I think I would wait for proof.  Besides, who cares?

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Syrah's picture

That's how I see it. It's none of business. I'm really disappointed with how much coverage it's getting actually.

I believe in champagne...

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be obtained." -Marie Curie

bobbys's picture

I had watched one show when he went to NJ to help, He ate but put a pic of his wife on the table as she could not be there with him.

Its been said im a hopeless romantic as i even buy flowers sometimes but i never wouda thought of something like that.

In a few minutes he was cussing the owner out so he did not get to sappy

ashleyd's picture

I have it (the hardback with the slip cover) and it's a daunting book, but some great ideas that are well within the scope of many people here, although I suspect that the complete dishes are beyond most of us, if only because we don't have the time (or access to the ingredients). Over here the paperback is out for a much more reasonable price, but it doesn't have the production values of the hardback.

Age is unimportant unless you’re a cheese.

shoechick's picture

That was basically the impression that I got from it.  It reminded me a lot of The French Laundry.  They also had Gordon Ramsay cooks at home which might be more up my alley.

courgette's picture

I love those big ambitious cookbooks but have stopped buying them unless they are REALLY cheap! I have several and if I want to do one of those meals or a couple of dishes, have lots to chose from. I am tempted by the cooks at home one though as I hear his recipes are quite good and those would be more likely to be made around here ona regular basis.

I think the recipe I use the most from one of these books is the Caesar Salad from the French Laundry. Always a hit and not difficult at all.

Mo

ashleyd's picture

The Caesar Salad is a great example of what you can get from these books, the first time you look at it and try it it's a bit daunting, so many steps, so many things to go wrong. But once you've tried it a couple of times you realise that, hey, it's really not that difficult and then after a few more times (and great praise from your guests) it becomes just routine and do it almost without thinking.

suz's picture

Cesear Salad has perked my interest as I don't have either book.  We love it and I think I make a good one (at least we like it) but I'm always open to better.  What makes this different or any possibility to post?

Glenys's picture

It's in the archives here for sure. It's a reconstructed deconstruction, so to speak. Creamy garlic flan, balsamic reduction, vinaigrette, Parmigiano melted into frico, romaine.

suz's picture

Thanks, I will try a search later today.  Have you made it?  Reviews from you, please.

shoechick's picture

I love it, just have to find a better way to get the damn flan mixture out of the ramekin...I usually make a mess.  Get's great reviews from guests!  I think I need to make it this week, now I'm craving it.

PeterDurand's picture

Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit on the bottom. Works for me.

Better life through Zoodles and poutine...

shoechick's picture

I've done that and had strips hanging over the edge, it's obviously a user error ;)  It's ok, it's not a bad thing to practice :)

Glenys's picture

Personally, I think the flan is too liquid. I don't want an eggy flavour but I like a thicker consistency.

shoechick's picture

I'm known for overcooking my custards anyway, so I probably didn't notice!  I'm big on gagging textures and haven't found it with this, so it must be my overcooking ;)

ashleyd's picture

Get yourself some silicon mo(u)lds, like the little muffin cups, they pop out easily (mostly!).

shoechick's picture

I have them, bought specially for that recipe..although they are currenty being used to freezing chicken stock ;)  I'll try them again. 

CKlos's picture

Try lowering just the bottom of the ramkin 1/4 of the way into hot water for 30 seconds or so.

Glenys's picture

For this specific recipe? This custard is very, very soft.

ashleyd's picture

I think you and I must be ending up with different results, my custards are never very, very soft, they are more the set of a creme caramel, reasonably firm with a little give.

PeterDurand's picture

And I agree with you. Never had the softness that Glenys mentions, and it was not because I overcooked them either. They are just nice and firm as you mentioned.

shoechick's picture

Silcone, they're not real ;)

PeterDurand's picture

Now I have to clean up the wine on the keyboard. LOL

shoechick's picture

You said they were nice and firm, not me ;)

PeterDurand's picture

Soft does have its place. I think I had better quit while I am ahead. Before I get banned.

Cheers,

Peter(wistfully distracted..)

Jean's picture

Really, you'd like it in the corner--that's where all the naughty girls are...

bellbutt.gifFor unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given..Isaiah 9:6

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need