NEW! Google Custom Search

I would enable if I could....

SallyBR1's picture

.... however, I cannot remember the title of the book, or where I saw someone raving about it (some blog, I suspect)

maybe someone will know what I'm talking about

It is a HUGE cookbook - maybe 600 pages? Over 1,000 recipes, from all over the world.

The title was ..... World - but I cannot remember the other word. Cucina? Culinaria? Cuisine?

I tried searching amazon.com for it, no success. But I am not Super Schnitzle Woman

anyway, if we manage to find out which book I'm talking about, I would appreciate the input of those who heard about it and/or have it

"I was not courageous, I was inebriated"
(Canuck's suggestion, January 2007)

Wolvie's picture

are you talking about Mark Bittman's "The Best Recipes in the World"?

jessicas biscuit

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers

knitpik's picture

'The Gourmet Cookbook' maybe?

SallyBR1's picture

NOpe -

and Wolvie didn t get it either

This is driving me nuts - I already looked into every usual suspect source, and nothing

I'm starting to think I dreamed about it all - the book cost around 65 bucks.

I won t give up......

will keep searching

knitpik's picture

I think we need Schnitzel here.

Jean's picture

Are you looking for  Konemann's Culinaria series cookbooks?

Check at Amazon. I think they are published according to country and not in one big volume.  If this is what you are looking for.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
SallyBR1's picture

No, it's not that

I might just have to get my smelling salts.... (le sigh)

SallyBR1's picture

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO good to know I am not going crazy - I went to amazon.com and there is a little life saving feature called "recently viewed items"

the name is Culina Mundi

http://www.amazon.com/Culina-Mundi-ed-Christele-Jany/dp/B000LR8LEY/sr=8-1/qid=1171148646/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9449692-5458413?ie=UTF8&s=books

Marie Louise's picture

I will do my part. Only $48 at Jessica's Biscuit.

http://www.ecookbooks.com/products.html?ref=286386562&sid=53069120070105093251&action=det_36602&searchvalues=culinda%20%3DAND%3Bmundi&searchlogic=simplesearch

I happen to have a free shelf. Sally, where did you read about it?

Another volume from the editors of the Culinaria series, so expansive it very nearly requires its own shelf, this encyclopedic haute-cuisine cookbook presents more than 500 recipes from 60 renowned chefs in France, Italy, Thailand, Japan, Mexico, Cameroon, Canada, Scandinavia, and the U.S. - 40 countries in all, on five continents. A truly global spectrum of food and techniques.

MadMom's picture

Sounds great, and the price is not bad at all if the recipes and techniques are good.  Someone needs to buy it and report back and enable the rest of us.

Not One More Day!
Not One More Dime! Not One More Life! Not One More Lie!

End the Occupation of Iraq -- Bring the Troops Home Now!

And Take Care of Them When They Get Here!

Jean's picture

Another volume from the editors of the Culinaria series

AHA ! So it is from the Culinaria Series. :)

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
SallyBR1's picture

THAT I cannot remember

I know it must have been in a blog - but not one that I have bookmarked - must have been some "jump" I did from one blog to another I never visited before.

But it' s been a while, and I could not retrieve it in the browser history

well, at least I found the book. That is a beginning

plantlust's picture

I have 2 Culinaria series.

One picked up in Germany, in German on specialties of the USA & I picked one up here, in English on European specialties (funny how that worked out).

Used the English/European one for my first attempt at cooking Mussels. I was trying hard to recreate the Brugge experience....& it worked.

My noz is froz & so is my toz.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with parsley sauce, goat cheese garlic mashed potatoes, Galena Cellars Niagra grape wine & Pie Boss's apple crumble topped with Ruth & Phil's sour cream/cinnamon ice cream.

Gretchen's picture

Used the English/European one for my first attempt at cooking Mussels. I was trying hard to recreate the Brugge experience....& it worked.

WELL, don't hold out!!  ;o)   Mussels are a'waiting!!

Gretchen
Gretchen
SallyBR1's picture

YOU!!!!!!!!!

You are unreal, lady!

Unreal!

I am starting to be afraid of you, you know?

:-)

Thanks, that was it. Somehow I stumbled on that site, saw the book, clicked on amazon.com - and the rest, is history :-)

soupereasy's picture

I have Culina Mundi and though it is a fun read I really haven't found anything in it that I would like to cook. On top of that the instructions are quite terse, expecting you to know how to complete each step.

soupereasy's picture

P.S. You may stop talking about new cookbooks any time now. I keep going to the bookstore to flip through your suggestions and going online to order the damn things! I was bad enough all on my own. LOL

SallyBR1's picture

Ok. I will be a good girl and stop.

I guarantee you that I won t be talking about new cookbooks for a full 24 hours!

How about that????

Marie Louise's picture

"24 hours" ???

Sally, You are such a super-woman: scientist, cook, runner, fluent in several languages. It pleases me to no end that you are no better at keeping your NY resolutions than anyone else. :-)

Speaking of fluent in several languages, I spent the week at an international conference on strokes. (It was in SF.) A lot of the speakers were from other countries, w/ ESL. I am AMAZED that they could give a scientific talk & answer questions in a second language-I kept thinking of you. Didn't you once give a talk in French when you were over there?

SallyBR1's picture

(blushing severely.....)

Yes, I gave two seminars in French while working at Institut Pasteur. I was a nervous wreck before hand, but managed to survive without serious damage :-)

APonKP's picture

"International Conference on Strokes" Did you by any chance hear Dr. Avery Evans? He is the son of our friends in VA. We built our houses next door to each other and raised our boys, who are the same ages, together. We are so proud of him. He was here yesterday to spend the day with us. He teaches at UVA and lives in Charlottesville. You know how some say our other child is a brain surgeon? Well... ; )

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.  A.A. Milne
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.  A.A. Milne
Marie Louise's picture

I don't think so, but I heard well over 100 people speak (and there were concurrent presentations, four rooms at once. I only heard a quarter of the speakers.) Each speaker presents for 15 minutes, then the next one gets up, and so it goes. Exciting... and exhausting!

SallyBR1's picture

How cool....

15 minutes talk are pretty hard to deliver. I rather speak for the regular 45-50 minutes. In 15 minutes there is barely enough time to relax and get comfortable. Once you get the hang of it, it's over!!!!! :-)

Marie Louise's picture

And they were presenting their research!

SallyBR1's picture

For a 15 min talk you need to be very well prepared. Introduction in 4 - 5 minutes, 8 minutes for results and conclusions (!!!!!). That leaves 3 minutes for questions.

Of course, if they allow questions AFTER 15 minutes talk, it's a little less frantic, but still - not easy at all

The only good thing about it - it is over fast... :-)

Marie Louise's picture

The questions were after-but it was usually other researchers who got up to ask them: challenged their statistics, critiqued their study design, etc. There were 5000 people at this meeting, so you are talking about big rooms of people to be put on the spot, especially if you are not speaking in your native tongue.

Lots of cutting edge treatments & prevention for strokes. Very interesting conference. Of course, I am now a week behind on all my work, time to go see how much has accumulated!

Wolvie's picture

pretty neat. :-)

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers

APonKP's picture

A neat guy for sure, he was just as excited to discuss bread baking with me, and teeth with DH since we are limited in our knowlege of interventional neuroradiology. His is a facinating field though. Imagine being able to treat a brain aneurysm, without severing the scull, with a minimaly invasive technique of inserting platinum coils in the anurism. Or injecting bone cement into a vertebral fracture (Vertebroplasty I think is what it's called - he has done literally thousands and is one of the leading experts on it.) while the patient is conscious. It takes about an hour and the patient experiences relief right away. Boggles my mind.

Wolvie's picture

had I attended medical school, my interest definitely lay in neurology, and surgeon was the only goal I could think of. Then I thought of how far in debt I would be upon graduation, along with just how many years I would be accumulating that debt, and opted out of that route. I am fascinated by the discoveries tho- all around lately.

One a tertiary note :Did you read about those genetic breakthru's for MS and Type 2 Diabetes recently? Another couple of wow moments.

APonKP's picture

Being years in debt is not fun, but you would have made a terrific neuro-somethingorother I'm sure. Not kidding. And how fascinating a life that would be. However, would you have had time enough to cook and garden too? Those are talents that need to be used as well.

breakthroughs in MS/Type 2 diabetes:
I did see something of the sort. Very interesting.

I need to pay attention to the diabetes 2 issue. My Mother has it and I don't get enough exercise, gain more in the middle, and the cholesterol blood pressure thing is not wonderful either. It looks like all those things are realated for sure. We know of two people who have been diagnosed with MS just recently, too. I should do some research. Sometimes I go to the med. library at UCSF to get answers. (Anything but excercise LOL!) Right now it is raining cats and dogs, so I can't. ; ) I may not be laughing later.