NEW! Google Custom Search

Help, I can't stop buying!

mangiaFagioli's picture

I just keep buying, some I haven't even opened. All in the last 2 weeks:

Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking - this one I use, but keeps leaving my shelf. First one my mother took. Second my friend Nancy. Third John. Fourth present to niece, fifth for me (it's missing! is sixth is on the way?)

Suvir Saran - Ive been using it and like it.

Marcella Says - it was only 2.95 + shipping (those Amazon 'new & used from' offers!). Not used yet but she's the prophet

Michelle Scicolone's 'La Dolce Vita' I haven't opened yet

Essential Kerala Cookbook from Penguin - sounds great but not opened yet

I suspect there are some on the way I've lost track of. Someone please stop me!

Meanwhile I keep getting into cookbooks I no longer knew I had

Heather's picture

It's a problem--I have acquired many new cookbooks in the past few months, some of which I have hardly looked at. If they arrive when I have time I try to do several things right away, but sometimes I'm busy and they are put on the shelf and stay there. I've been feeling guilty about this. I should spend time with each new book before I even think of getting any more.

soupereasy's picture

I have found myself reading posts citing a recipe from one book or another and know that the book has been here sitting on a shelf gathering dust like some little orphan.

Heather's picture

Awwww. . . poor little lonely cookbooks. I need to take better care of mine too.

Jean's picture

Well how many of you bought a book..forgot -- and bought another.  I have 2 Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking. Scared myself half to death when I realized I had ordered another one of his books. Fortunately it's Cooking at Home. Some recipe repeats, but not all. Whew.

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Adele's picture

I just got a Pressure Cooker book, though I don't have one, from a co-worker purging her home.  1949.  Molded liver anyone?  LOL

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

mangiaFagioli's picture

I wanted an Alice Medrich book, Cookies and Brownies, then out of print, used for about 75 bucks, I was ready to buy when I spotted it on my shelf.

shoechick's picture

I'm actually going to stop buying cookbooks and just take out a membership card at the "Glenys, I've got too many damn cookbooks to even count" Library :)

When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to find they are not it.

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

Adele's picture

I want that one.:(

deejeh's picture

Me too - I've been actually been thinking of getting the book out of the library again and scanning it.  I don't think a reasonably priced copy will ever come up for sale :(

deej

Pumpkie's picture

I just bought another three but I guess I'm okay I haven't bought a double yet (notice I said yet)

Jean's picture

Hee! That book is small and easy to lose track of..

Debby's picture

I wanted an Alice Medrich book, Cookies and Brownies

I have wanted that book as well--but it's definietely not sitting on any of my shelves!  And it was priced higher up here in Canada. 

Perhaps you could start working your way through it and then posting your favorites here! :)

Debby

mangiaFagioli's picture

It's at my mom's house now, in Berkeley. When i get back there that would be an interesting; project. I have made quite a few things out of there. But you give me an interesting idea.

KarenP's picture

Cookies and Brownies, then out of print, used for about 75 bucks, I was ready to buy when I spotted it on my shelf.

check the thrift stores.  A friend of mine just picked up a copy for $3.00.

Marie Louise's picture

I keep hoping I'm going to spot one...

I own a copy, but I used it so much that the pages are falling out.

I wish they'd reprint this one.

mangiaFagioli's picture

<<<<Cookies and Brownies, then out of print, used for about 75 bucks, I was ready to buy when I spotted it on my shelf.

check the thrift stores. A friend of mine just picked up a copy for $3.00.>>>>

The point I was making was that I had that book all along, lost amids many other books I had bought and never opened

KarenP's picture

The point I was making was that I had that book all along, lost amids many other books I had bought and never opened

Oh my goodness!  I'm sorry I missed it, it must have felt like an extra Christmas present found! 

drussell's picture

Happened too many times! Good thing DD and her SO like getting these lapses of memory!  

pamilyn's picture

BTDT, just recently Rick Bayless book. Got home, went to put it in my Mexican section and there it was staring back at me. Oh well....the new one is autographed. Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

Debby's picture

I should spend time with each new book before I even think of getting any more.

Can't tell you how many times I've thought this very same thing myself!  I guess this means we have a rather serious problem............But isn't it fun when a new parcel arrives and we open up that box?!

Debby

Marcia's picture

I should spend time with each new book before I even think of getting any more.

Can't tell you how many times I've thought this very same thing myself!

I've never thought that and remain unrepentant.

Jean's picture

We think a lot alike. :0

Heather's picture

After saying only yesterday that I had to use the cookbooks I have before I buy any more. . . I found the Tra Vigne Cookbook on the remaindered table today. And bought it of course.
NOW I'm going to start using the cookbooks I have.

Marcia's picture

It's good to know I'm not alone. (g)

Marie Louise's picture

Been there, done that.

beebuzzled's picture

You're asking for help from people who will throw you an anvil as you're drowning. Take a deep breath, sell your soul to Davy Jones and join the rest of us at the bottom of the pit. At least there's lots to read, a corner for chocolate and bubbly, and the conversation is good.

Why is the rum always gone?  Captain Jack Sparrow
Why is the rum always gone?  Captain Jack Sparrow
jaq's picture

Yes, I ordered 5 at thegoodcook.com two nights ago, and my boss just got me to buy "Vegetable Love" today- she was just going to send it back, and it's so sad to see a book without a home- kind of like a pound puppy. :(

I suddenly thought to myself, "Self, when are you actually going to have time to cook recipes from all of these books?" It's just madness- stop me before I splurge again!

Wolvie's picture

yesterday evening was a border's binge day - rewards card 10% discount (even on sale stuff) and the bargain book selection was incredible.

I also bought 3 new cookbooks at Amazon.

I hope it snows. ;-)

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers

favorablyimpressed's picture

<I also bought 3 new cookbooks at Amazon.>

We want titles!

Wolvie's picture

ha! the 3 new books at amazon were : Tartine, Big Small Plates, and Bite Size.

The Border's Book store binge was purely evil - not a redeeming purchase amongst the lot - but lots of murder mysteries. ;-)

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. - Will Rogers