NEW! Google Custom Search

thoughts on Nigella?

a1wang's picture

I found Le Bonne cuisine at the library and fell in love with it after reading a line about finishing fried eggs in the oven--knew it was something special. Also picked up a volume by Nigella lawson about being a domestic goddess. It seems like fun reading. I am not at home right now and can't try anything out--has anyone cooked from her books?

Unschoolmom7's picture

I have never used one of her books. I did once read a review though, and out of ten of her recipes only three turned out. That was a while ago, though.

Karena

courgette's picture

I got her How To Eat last fall at Costco. The hummus id very good. I soaked the chickpeas per her instructions and I couldn't believe how silky they were. I couldn't stop eating them-just plain ole chickpeas! Haven't tried anything else, but it makes for fun reading. A friend of mine has Feast and likes it a lot.

Mo

Glenys's picture

Her food writing is sublime but How to Be a Domestic Goddess is one I don't have, simply because it's all puddings, or desserts as we say.
I adore How to Eat. Her recipes are not complex or challenging, just a real personal mixture of homey with some foreign bits added in. Haven't had any failures, they're not that stressful. If you like the read you'll probably like the recipe.

shywoodlandcreature's picture

I love Nigella Lawson, and want to be her in the next life. I haven't actually tried any of her recipes, but hers is one of the few cooking shows I can watch without gagging - mostly because she seems to actually have fun, eat well, and still be gorgeous, all with no pretence.

What would the world be,/Once bereft of/Wet and wildness?/Let them be left/O let them be left/Wildness and wet/Long live the weeds and wilderness yet.
GM Hopkins

Glenys's picture

She always has the perfect jeans jackets and of course great shoes. After all these years I'm still pondering buying the chairs she has. Murray doesn't like them but I think I might get six and two end chairs for boney bottoms.

SallyBR1's picture

In my next life, I want to be her too... :-)

She is charming, sexy, gorgeous, and enjoys life. At least that is what she passes in her writing.

I have "How to be a Domestic Goddess" - and made several recipes from it, including the baby chocolate molten cakes. I am not much of a dessert person, but reading that book gives the desire to go to the kitchen and bake. THAT, to me, is the sign of a good book. Of course, the recipes gotta work :-)

"The beauty of a Sally is how neatly she can be divided"
(CookiMonster, Dec 2005)

CulinaryArtist's picture

Love her! Like you all have said she's a real woman, nothing to apologize for!  I've got Goddess, Nigella Bites, Forever Summer.  Haven't really made that many things from her books but whatever I did was great.  I was actually headed for the kitchen the other day to make the molten cakes and got a phone call never got around to it, maybe tomorrow.

Jimbo the TRAVELING CULINARY ARTIST

Jimbo the TRAVELING CULINARY ARTIST

http//:www.travelingculinaryartist.com

butterscotch's picture

She really is so beautiful (and seemingly charming). But, from what I've read, she's had quite a rough life in many respects. Her husband had a terrible death from lung or throat cancer. In many phases of his illness, he couldn't eat anything solid. So she was deprived even of the chance to cook for him. And I believe that soon after he passed away, she lost both her sister and her mother to cancer, too.

SallyBR1's picture

That is horrible!

This kind of stuff should simply NOT happen to anyone

"The beauty of a Sally is how neatly she can be divided"
(CookiMonster, Dec 2005)

gardencat's picture

I have both "How to be a domestic goddess" and "Forever Summer." I enjoyed her writing first, and then made a few of her recipes from the NYT. I like her approach to cooking and find the recipes a great place to start. Both books are written in British cooking language, so I get to use my math and translation skills too! They are published in other versions of English, but I just happened to pick up that version.
I don't have a TV, so can't speak to her show or how closely the books fit with them.

Ballottine's picture

I got Nigella's and  Barefoot Contessa's books at the same time.  I enjoyed watching and reading Nigella and made a few of her recipes, but I never went  back to them,  I don't even remember what I made.  I use Barefoot Contessa recipes a lot, very often returning to the same ones over and over.  Bal

So much to cook; so little time.

So much to cook; so little time.

wisekaren's picture

I have "Forever Summer" and "Feasts." I think she's wonderful -- and I've never even seen her on TV! ;-)

She gives me great IDEAS in addition to recipes. I've posted a couple of these before, like using rendered chicken fat instead of olive oil or butter when basting a roasted chicken; or pounding out lamb rib chops, breading with panko, and browning in a pan (we have that nearly every week now!).

Karen

Jean's picture

I think she's too sexy looking -- it's not fair that she cooks too!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.  Will Rogers

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
wisekaren's picture

Giada too. (Although I have to admit that I've gotten into the bad habit of referring to her as "Giardia" around the house.)
Karen

Jean's picture

LOL. Yes, indeedie.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.  Will Rogers

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
KitchenWitch's picture

true. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

~RuthAnn

<insert witticism here>

~RuthAnn

Janelle's picture

Nigella Lawson is my idol, and she is one woman who has allowed young women like me to accept their curves and food as an ally and not a foe. I love all her books and dvds- they seem to have a soothing effect on me. Her food always seems so comforting and mesmerising that you just want to reach into the screen and have a bite...or two...or three! I love the fact that she's not ashamed of her figure, quite the contrary, she seems quite proud of it, which is so refreshing. I prefer her over Jamie Oliver, i mean he's great, but she's a woman we all find beautiful and intelligent.

FitnessNut's picture

I agree. There is, however, a spread in a current magazine (don't ask me which one....DH showed it to me in Chapters) and it seems that she has just lost a whack of weight. Still curvy though. At least she looks like she enjoys her meals! Giada looks like she starves herself, except on air, LOL! ;-)

Follow your bliss ~~ Joseph Campbell

Follow your bliss ~~ Joseph Campbell