NEW! Google Custom Search

Sunday Suppers at Luques, etc.

Lee's picture

I browsed through this cookbook at Borders today, and it seems to have lots of good recipes (Suzanne Goin is the chef at Luques in SF). I also spent some time looking through James Peterson's Glorious French Food, which I don't think I've looked at before now.  Does anyone have either of them?  Opinions?

Edited 1/20/2006 11:12 pm ET by lee

courgette's picture

No, but I've been coveting the Luques ones since I first saw it.

Mo

soccermom's picture

I received the Luques book for Xmas; DH read a glowing review in one of our national newspapers. I haven't tried anything from it yet but found it a good read on a winter's night.

Wolvie's picture

oh man - another one on the list. ;-)

No mans error becomes his own Law; nor obliges him to persist in it

THOMAS HOBBES, Leviathan, part 2, p. 237 (1950).

Lee's picture

I was going to post a warning that you shouldn't read this thread.  I figured it would get you in trouble.

Wolvie's picture

very funny. :-)

No mans error becomes his own Law; nor obliges him to persist in it

THOMAS HOBBES, Leviathan, part 2, p. 237 (1950).

Heather's picture

I do believe that is an LA restaurant. The book has gotten great reviews.

Lee's picture

Oops.  You're right, the restaurant is in LA, and I knew that since we have cousins in LA who love it. 

butterscotch's picture

I don't have the Sunday Suppers book, but, as Suzanne Goin is an L.A. chef and a media darling, I've cooked a lot of the recipes that she's published over the years in Food & Wine, the L.A. Times, etc., and liked almost all of them.  They tend to be lengthy, a little exacting, and have a lot of ingredients. Many of them also call for advance prepping--she's big on overnight marination--and long cooking times.  All the reviews I've seen of this book were positive but pointed out that patience and willingness to spend time are necessary to get successful results. These requirements might be a problem for some people, Lee. But since you are such a skilled and dedicated home cook, I think this book would be right up your alley.

pamilyn's picture

I have the Peterson book. It was a gift from DH, and I love it. It sat on my shelf for a year before I started cooking out of it. Everything I have made has been good. I vote yes on that one. Pamilyn

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

The purpose of Art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls

Lee's picture

Thanks, Pam.  It's going into the shopping cart.  I have all of his other books.  I don't know why I ignored this one. 

Lee's picture

Jessica's is selling Glorious French Food for $12.98 (originally $45), so I had no choice but to order it.  Of course, in order to get free shipping, I had to order Sunday Suppers At Luques ($21, originally $35).  I may have to convert a closet into more shelf space, but DH won't miss his summer clothes for a few months.