NEW! Google Custom Search

Fish

macy's picture

Fish (post #62669)

For this new year, I think my resolution will be to eat more fish and I'm looking for some good cookbooks. I have been through the archives and the only recommendation I found was the Legal Sea Foods Cookbook. Sounds good and I plan to check it out, but was wondering if there are some other good ones I should look at as well.

Thanks!   -Macy

Edited 12/18/2005 11:16 am by macy

Jean's picture

You might want to get James Peterson's Fish and Shellfish from the library. Then if you want to buy it, you can get a decent used one through AdAll Used books for ~ $15. http://www.addall.com/

“ But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. ”- Galatians 4:4-5

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
help to provide free mammograms for women in need
Risottogirl's picture

That is one of my two favorites - the other is Pike Place Public Market Seafood Cookbook

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor

Bobby Flay

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Adele's picture

Ditto.  Any and all of James Peterson's books are really informative.  The recipes also give you substitutions for the 'title' fish. 

Williams Sonoma's Fish, that I received as a bday present is also nice, has good pictures.  LOL.  I have HPBooks, Fish & Shellfish, circa 1984, that I have used so often for Bouillabaisse and Coquilles Saint Jacques, that it fell apart.  Good thing last job had a binding machine.

But, but, it's SUPPOSED to taste like that!

Ballottine's picture

What others said. 

Also,  at first I used Joy of Cooking, lots of good  fish recipes and info. 

I got my first all seafood cookbook in the late eighties: SEAFOOD COOKBOOK by Susan Hermann Lomis. I still use it a lot.  I also have her Clambbakes and Fish Fries.  I learned  a lot from  those books before  other books were available.  Mark Bittman also has a fish cookbook which I use without problems, but several people on this board don't like him.  Good luck.  Bal.

So much to cook; so little time.

macy's picture

Thank you thank you---I am adding all of these to the list. I can see trips to B&N and the library are in my near future :-)  Anyone else have a favorite to add?

Ballottine's picture

Unless you have shares at B&N, before you head there, check out Zooba.com.  All books are $9.95 including shipment.   This website was recommended by Wisekaren, who IMHO is living up to her name. LOL and good luck.  Bal

PS:  do you have a real fish market where you live ?

macy's picture

I go to B&N to sit down and look through the books (it's easier to get to than the library and they don't mind). All the books mentioned earlier have a 5-star customer rating on Amazon, so that doesn't narrow it down for me too much. The James Peterson book sounds like a must have, but I may "need" another one to go with it. Thanks for the website---I'll check it out when I know what I want.

Fish market...... what's that? ;-)  The ocean's a long way from here, but we have lots of beef, LOL. Most of our larger grocery stores at least have a fish counter that is separate from the meat counter, deli, or sushi bar, but the selection may or may not be good on any given day. It's hard to plan because I never know what kinds of fish they'll have from one day to the next. I've started taking a notebook with me of recipes for several different types, so I can consult that for any special ingredients I'll need to turn it into dinner should something look good.

Wolvie's picture

in your case (which is similiar to mine) mail order is your friend. You usually have to buy 5 pounds of something, but the quality if far superior to the fish available at the supermarket. At least in my area it is. When I lived in Massachusetts, that was not the case. I can post a few sites that I use for you if you'd like.

Oh - and take a cooler on your next trip to your nearest big city with a good fish market, and stock up.

A food saver becomes your bestest friend. :-)

If, 2 1/2 years in, you don't control the only road linking your military airport to your headquarters, you don't control much of anything

Lewis Simons

macy's picture

Yes, I'd very much like to know which mail-order sites you like. Thanks! I have considered mail-ordering, and will have to for any shellfish beyond shrimp. I love scallops, but can only find ones that have been stewing in that nasty phosphate stuff. I am halfway between St. Louis and KC and get to SL several times a year---but no fish markets that I know of :-(  The cooler is a great idea and I try to remember to take one even across town. Wasn't the food saver a great invention?   -Macy

Edited 12/18/2005 6:57 pm by macy

Wolvie's picture

this one gets the yukon salmon in when available, and has been really good with halibut and other fish:

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/

and one from Pikes:

http://www.freshseafood.com/

there is another one from Pike's Market I use - the flying fish store site, but ..ah - here is the web site - they are undergoing reconstruction, and I had a bit of trouble with it the last time: (the site, not the fish)

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/

and of course, last but not least: www.legalseafoods.com

have fun!

If, 2 1/2 years in, you don't control the only road linking your military airport to your headquarters, you don't control much of anything

Lewis Simons

macy's picture

They've been added to my favorites. Can't wait to get some good stuff. Thanks a bunch! :-)

macy's picture

Just wanted to say thank you again for all the great suggestions. I went a little overboard and picked up 4 of the books last month:

Fish & Shellfish, James Peterson

Fish, The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking, Mark Bittman

Legal Sea Foods Cookbook, Roger Berkowitz and Jane Doerfer

The Great American Seafood Cookbook, Susan Herrmann Loomis

I like them all and it's good to have a variety, because with some of the names fish are sold under around here, I may find the info I need in only one of the four, and it's not always the same one. So far I have liked the recipes in general, but am starting to figure out which fish I like, and which I don't care for so much. I feel more confident about the cooking methods and how not to overcook :-)  I did find some decent scallops at Sam's, but now I think I'm ready to start mail-ordering some of the fish I can't find around here, is too expensive or not fresh enough.

Thanks everyone!

P.S.  The downside is that now I have to find room on the bookshelves for these, which means thinning out and getting rid of a few underused ones to take to the library.

Adele's picture

What a great grouping of books! I thinned (ha!) my cookbooks and re-arranged my shelves a bit, what a difference. 

Now I just have to get up the nerve to do something with everything Stephen King wrote, of which I have.  I mean, some of those are old.  LOL   

Ballottine's picture

I go to B&N to sit down and look through the books

What a nice way to live.  I am always envious of people who sit and read at the bookstore.   I usually charge in and out. My life is too cluttered with "must do today" things, and I still don't get done everything.  But, one of these days.....

Peterson book is good. Bal

macy's picture

My life is one long to-do list too, but now and then I put things like B&N on the list :-)  Besides, it's at the mall where I can take care of some of my other to-do's. And, multitasking saves time, right? LOL

Ballottine's picture

OOOPS! I highly recommended  James Peterson's Fish & Shelfish book to you, but I must make a side step.  DD has just reminded me the steamed mussels with tomatoes recipe (page 127):

"Heat (1/4 cup )virgin oilve oil and (2 garlic cloves, chopped)  over medium heat in a 4 quart pot for about 5 minutes. 

DD did that when she was 12.  I don't have to tell the people who cook what happened to the olive oil heated for 5 minutes on medium heat and to my 4 quart pot.  LOL.

There are a couple more things like that, that I discovered, that  you need to watch for, but the tecniques he offers are good. bal

unbaked's picture

I really like Zooba,too! Their prices beat Amazon and Ebay on almost every title and their selection isn't too bad, though some worthy titles are certainly missing at this point.

I got All About Braising, Batali's Moltowhatever (didn't care for it), The Complete Meat Cookbook, etc.

I like being able to choose my titles and decide when to quit, order extra books or just skip a month.

I enjoyed Pat Conroy's cookbook, which has some nice looking seafood recipes, but I admit to being a Conroy-ophile bought it because I love his writing, but he actually seems to be a competent cook.

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

Ballottine's picture

I did not know about Zooba until Wisekaren posted about it a few days ago.  Wonder how Zooba makes money.  I got Batali and Braising  from Amazon,  and Complete Meats from  Costco, now I know I paid twice the price.

I did not know Pat Conroy has a cook book.  Of course, with his way with words he can write anything.  Bal

Edited 12/18/2005 7:44 am ET by ballottine

Edited 12/18/2005 7:52 am ET by ballottine

unbaked's picture

I thoroughly enjoyed it and he had a lot of recipes in it that I'd never seen before.

Worth at least a trip to the library and if you're a true fan, the 10 bucks :)

'The desire to make an effort to improve the lives of those around you does not yet live in everyone, but it does live in everyone who cooks.' -Bill Penzey, one magazine

Sondra's picture

Rick Stein - Seafood.  Superb on technique.

macy's picture

Thanks! :-)