NEW! Google Custom Search

Legal Seafoods cookbook

Ballottine's picture

I love to eat at our Legal Seafoods R, and yesterday I saw their cookbook on sale at BJ's. Is it worth having? Opinions please! Bal

So much to cook; sooooo little time.

So much to cook; so little time.

PeterDurand's picture

Could you please give us the name. I know I will send away for it.

Thanks,

Peter

doyenne's picture

" The New Legal Seafoods Cookbook " by Roger Berkowitz. Amazon.com has it for $18.20.

I can't remember today what it was I  couldn't remember yesterday

Where is Monica Lewinski when you need her?

PeterDurand's picture

Many Thanks. Having eaten there a number of times, I am a fan.

Cheers,

Peter

Ballottine's picture

Sorry, Charlotte Baker beat me to it.

The New Legal Sea Foods Cookbook is written by Roger Berkowitz and Jane Doerfer and published by Broadway Books/NY.

Publisher's price US $26 / Canada $40.

I broke down and bought it at BJ's for $ 17.99

If you can't find it elsewhere I'll be happy to get it for you or anyone else. Bal

PeterDurand's picture

Thanks for the offer. I have already placed an order with Amazon.

Cheers,

Peter

ebarlow1's picture

This is a cookbook to have.  "Legal's" (as it is known locally. . . why do we have to give all restaurants an apostophe-S, even when they don't give them to themselves?) knows fish, and some of the recipes out of that book are staples in my house, like the mustard sauce for bluefish, which I put on any white fish).  I also make the smoked bluefish pate (I do use the bluefish for that) for parties and it always gets rave reviews.  Legal's chowder is the best.

Ballottine's picture

Thank you so much!  What else do you make from that book?  Bal

kjlemire's picture

I also have the Legal CB. It's a winner for sure! Some of my favorites are Crab Dip, Seafood Casserole, Coquilles Saint-Jacques, Crabmeat with Penne, Fish Chowder  and Shellfish Gumbo.

Just came back from Boston this past week and at at Legal in Chestnut Hill, had the to die for clam chowder and baked scallops. Love that place!!!

You'll love the CB!!

Wolvie's picture

I love Legal's. Used to go to the flagship restaurant in Boston quite a bit, and the one closest to me in Framingham, Ma.

Now - the nearest one is 2 1/2 hours away at Tyson's Corner -but - same great quality. Which is good. Just don't get to it as often. Which is bad. 

"So beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child

Risottogirl's picture

I think I have mentioned before that we have been very disappointed in Legal Seafood the last few times we have eaten there. Stopped going there.

barn's burnt down...now I can see the moon.      --Masahide

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

Wolvie's picture

that's too bad. The one here in DC, at least the one at Tysons, is still great. I admit, I haven't been to one in Boston in over a year.

"So beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child

ebarlow1's picture

Let's see, I make the Easy Baked Sole (marjoram and parmesan, garlic and tomato), the breaded sole with herbes de Provence.  Seems to me I have made a gratin kind of thing with scallops and mushrooms out of there, but can't remember if I liked it. I have also made the sole stuffed with shrimp, which I thought was bland but had potential.  The book has a lengthy section at the beginning on the various kinds of fish, which I consult periodically.

BTW, I agree that the restaurants are not as reliably good as they used to be.  Natick was downright disappointing last time I went, Kendall Square has been good every time.  They often have a nice multi-colored slaw at lunchtime.

Edited to ask:  I just noticed y'all are talking about the NEW Legal Seafoods Cookbook.  I have a 1988 edition with no "new" in the title.  Anyone know if there is a difference?

Edited 1/18/2004 2:50:19 PM ET by Libby

Risottogirl's picture

It is the Kendall Square restaurant that has declined most notably in quality and service, IMHO. After three mediocre meals there in a four month period, the problem is clearly not just an "off" day. So we have stopped going there at all. We have also noted this unfortunate trend at the downtown location, though not as bad as KS.

There are just too many other choices - why continue with mediocrity, just because it is an "old favorite". It's really a shame.

barn's burnt down...now I can see the moon.      --Masahide

Water is a great ingredient to cook with, it has such a neutral flavor - Bobby Flay

ebarlow1's picture

This is good to know.  I live  in Texas now, but am heading to Boston for a conference soon.  I'll try the downtown location instead.